ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-05-2012   #161
SteelBlueZR1

Default Re: OBX cat-back exhaust

Tom - I have a LT4 resonator in my garage that can easily replace your restrictive LT5 resonator. It does not neck down and is 2.5"+ internally. I myself have driven an OBX exhaust car and thought it was perfect low deep burble rumble, no resonance, quiet at cruise, not too loud compromise. $65 for the LT4 resonator if you are interested?
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #162
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Thanks Yun! I may yet do the Torca clamps. No, it's sitting with the headers still in my living/dining room.

Actually, now I'm not so sure I will ever get around to putting it on as I don't know that I like the sound. I hate to say this but I have yet to hear any late model corvette aftermarket exhaust that I actually like! Let alone one for an LT5. I like the Ti exhaust sound from the C5 ZO6's and the new C6 dual mode, but the rest of them don't do it for me. I guess I have a differing "vision" of what a C4 ZR-1 should sound like. I actually like the sound of my OE mufflers, when you can hear them up past 5k rpms...it's the damn resonator that stinks! Then sometimes I think I'll just go 'borrow' an exhaust from a DB9 or an F40.....it's the 4V/ DOHC thing that colors my 'vision' of what an LT5 should sound like. I don't want it to sound like my 72 LT-1's factory side pipes. A 4V/DOHC motor shouldn't sound like a 'muscle car' from the 60's IMHO. I think I'll do a search as I had an Ansa system on my 72 V6 Capri and I liked that sound.....I'm out in left field, I know!

Tom
Tom,
Nothing wrong with being out in left field or different, at least you did not bring up the bus story........lol. I think different strokes for different folks is what is it all about in this hobby. Thank God that not all of our cars sound the same. We have more Ferraris and high end cars running around here in Yokohama (even more in Tokyo) and I know what you mean the unique and badass sound. Some old school folks would hate that sound. Our LT5s do have a sound of its own, especially at WOT in the near redline that is music to our ears that we can all agree on.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #163
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Tom,
Nothing wrong with being out in left field or different, at least you did not bring up the bus story........lol. I think different strokes for different folks is what is it all about in this hobby. Thank God that not all of our cars sound the same. We have more Ferraris and high end cars running around here in Yokohama (even more in Tokyo) and I know what you mean the unique and badass sound. Some old school folks would hate that sound. Our LT5s do have a sound of its own, especially at WOT in the near redline that is music to our ears that we can all agree on.

Craig
Well said the top end note is outstanding.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #164
XfireZ51

Tom,

You need to come out to the Corvette Challenge in September to listen to some of the LT5 exhaust playing w C6s. Let's see what you think then!
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #165
tomtom72

...But, but Left field is where the buses don't run Craig!

Bert, I hear ya. I was looking for an LT4 resonator, and then I bought the OBX system on impulse. I figured if I really didn't like it I might just graft in the OBX resonator to the stock system and try it that way; or just put the OBX on and use my OE mufflers. I like the blacked out look at the back of my 90. I'd have to think about your offer. I'll let you know.

Dom, I think I may have to do a mapquest. I figure it's about the same as me driving to BG from NY? I have to see how things fall at work, and I have to save some vacation time to go see the parents in FLA at Christmas.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #166
HAWAIIZR-1

Tom,

As long as you weren't on the short yellow bus................

Scott,

Thanks and I can't wait to get this emissions testing over (pass or fail) so I can put the headers back on and install the new SW X pipe, Dynomax mufflers and Pypes tips to so how it all works and sounds.

Craig

Old 07-07-2012   #167
tomtom72

Quote:
Tom,

As long as you weren't on the short yellow bus................

Scott,

Thanks and I can't wait to get this emissions testing over (pass or fail) so I can put the headers back on and install the new SW X pipe, Dynomax mufflers and Pypes tips to so how it all works and sounds.

Craig
Good luck with this try to get the Z all legal & stuff Craig!

Oh, yea the short one is mine....they handle better in the sweepers and the chicanes!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #168
scottfab

Quote:
Scott,

Craig
When you go in for the next test let us know how close it comes.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #169
HAWAIIZR-1

Tom,

Thanks for the wishes and you're a really funny guy.

Scott,

Thanks, but it does not seem there will be another test after the news I received today. I still have some air/vacuum leak on the right side throwing off the O2 sensor and running lean from what I am told. I think I'm giving up already with trying to pass.

On another note to not hijack this thread. I helped a guy with an LT1 C4 here bring in an OBX cat-back system today and it actually is a pretty nice system for the price. I guess it could not be done in the US for that price and seems to be of pretty good quality; I was quite surprised.

Old 07-09-2012   #170
SteelBlueZR1

Thumbs up Re: OBX cat-back exhaust

Wazoo helped to install the OBX cat back exhaust on my 1991 ZR-1, and the installation and fit was textbook perfect. Here are some videos from both outside and inside the car... I am completely satisfied with the quality, look and sound - to me OBX exhaust strikes the perfect balance in terms of deep V8 rumble, quiet drone free cruising in 5th and 6th. The LT5 finally sings the exact song you expect from a an exotic.
My car seems to pull harder in the midrange and part throttle, and just feels all around more willing to rev.
Sorry for the rattle in these videos, as I haven't yet determined where to mount new Go Pro camera, so I held it on the steering wheel -

Outside car: http://youtu.be/9Btec_YDAfs

Quiet Inside Car 5th and 6th gear: http://youtu.be/ombFvmCN4rQ

3rd gear Acceleration!:
http://youtu.be/92GdQfD5udM

This exhaust is an absolute steal, and you won't regret purchasing it!
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SteelBlueZR1; 07-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote