ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-08-2017   #1
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
After you clean/paint them send to me to engrave them. Makes a very nice addition to the overall engine aesthetics. Send to me, will engrave and paint the engraving and send back in mail the next day.
I just might do that, as I have an idea for engraving something on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Remarkably clean coolant passage. I assume you've installed the Carter bling on the TB? How did it look under the old TB cover?

Yes it was, and as explained to me, along with the improvements of antifreeze over the years and using distilled water makes for a clean inside...

I have not worked on the TB as of yet. And I haven't received my Carter bling yet. Will update as the job moves on, looking to get something done on the TB this week. But also going out to the 74 three or four days this week, so keeping busy to say the least.....lol

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #2
Roadster

Started cleaning the cam covers last night to get rid of the grease and grime that has accumulated over the years. Still undecided if I should go ahead and paint them on the car as Steve (We Gone) did, which was an amazing job. Depending on how clean I get them, I might just detail the bolts and let it be as is, and also repaint the letters. The sides of the IH's are coming up nice. So we shall see.

Also going to order the TB coolant bypass line from Marc, rather than tap into anything to eliminate the coolant from there, it seems more user friendly to me...lol

just a mild clean up so far....much, much more to clean....don't know if I'll be able to get the stains completely eliminated...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2017   #3
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I have not worked on the TB as of yet. And I haven't received my Carter bling yet. Will update as the job moves on, looking to get something done on the TB this week. But also going out to the 74 three or four days this week, so keeping busy to say the least.....lol
Programming the engraving in the morning and hope to be painted/done and in the mail to you Thursday afternoon.......

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #4
S.hafsmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
How did yours turn out?
Mine turned out great.

Throttlebody needs some new paint, though.

Roadster,

Your LT5 look a lot better than mine, if that's any comfort. I've got lots of darkened spots that won't clean off. If you do the re-paint, keep us posted on the cylinder cover removal.

Last edited by S.hafsmo; 05-09-2017 at 02:08 AM.
S.hafsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #5
Tripler

Hey Tom . Does that amazing goop get good and hard when it cures ? I need to secure my signal lights to the ferring of my motorcycle as the screw mounts have become brittle and broke . Sorry also for hijacking your thread but I saw that goop and had to ask .
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my LG-H831 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #6
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Hey Tom . Does that amazing goop get good and hard when it cures ? I need to secure my signal lights to the ferring of my motorcycle as the screw mounts have become brittle and broke . Sorry also for hijacking your thread but I saw that goop and had to ask .
Thanks
Mike

Mike,
Liquid Nail is a great product for what you need.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #7
Tripler

PS . If your coming to BG I will try to remember to bring some weather proof plastic ties . Don't buy a whole pack if you just need 1 or 2 . I have a few of different sizes and will pack a few ...
Mike

Old 05-10-2017   #8
Roadster

Quote:
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I cannot answer the question about the Goop, because I don't know....lol
Phil would be the one to answer that for you. He has used it before...
Lol, no worries about hijack, any info shared is always welcomed....

Quote:
PS . If your coming to BG I will try to remember to bring some weather proof plastic ties . Don't buy a whole pack if you just need 1 or 2 . I have a few of different sizes and will pack a few ...
Mike

Thanks for the thought, but I won't be at BG this year. I may not even need the weather proof ties, as you will see below....thanks again....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-10-2017   #9
Roadster

Some new connector info.....
Went to the auto store in the "Help" section as per Jep's suggestion about looking for two individual connectors instead of one. Well his suggestion paid off, as I found a vacuum elbow that fits perfect, IMO. They only had one, so I will try another auto store tomorrow.
My main question was whether to Goop or not to Goop???
After finding this elbow and the way that it fit, I am probably not going to use the original connector. Now if I couldn't find anything, then using Goop would have been the solution...
This elbow fits perfect and you have to twist it side-to-side to pull it off, that's how good of a fit it is. The one end fits on the solenoid completely and the other end holds the plenum and canister lines very tight. The only thing I might do is cut down the elbow to the lines, but I may not have to.
I can almost guarantee that the plenum line (at the solenoid "original" connector) which gives so many trouble on plenum installation with coming undone could and will be a thing of the past.
Although the original connector is thicker, one of the holes has become elongated and therefore would need the Goop as Phil suggested...

For $2.99, you can't beat it...

the new and the original....just need one more...notice the RS hole on the original, it is slightly elongated as mentioned. The line actually slides in and out of that hole. This is where the Goop would solve that problem with the original connector, if yours is like mine...

here you can see one end installed onto the plenum line...see how the new elbow expands, the plenum line is not going anywhere....

connected to the solenoid, a good tight complete fit....IMO, this is the way to go.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-10-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2017   #10
Tripler

Alrighty then . Thanks carter . Where do I buy liquid nail. I have never heard of it but if its like a silicone and gets hard to glue and hold plastic bits together then it sounds like what I need .
Thanks
Mike