ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-10-2015   #1
Jmu1

Default New ZR-1 owner with clutch/trans problems

I have a new to me '95 with some issues in 5th and 6th at higher speeds. It has a bit over 26k miles. It shifts ok but makes a lot of noise- not good. Also there is a squeal of sort at idle that goes away when the clutch is depressed or the car gets warmed up. I'm needing to diagnose it. Clutch, throw out bearing, trans? Anyone have suggestions where to start? Or maybe a reputable shop in or close to El Paso, TX. Thanks in advance.
Jmu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #2
Kevin

Default Re: New ZR-1 owner with clutch/trans problems

I know it's a long *** drive but if you can get down to new braunfuls corey henderson is there and is a great guy to have look over your car. The ZF6 is a beast and it will make some noise due to how it's built. Also if brake fluid was used instead of clutch fluid it may make a squeaking noise.
Old 03-10-2015   #3
KILLSHOTS

Mine made the squeal you're describing after my clutch was replaced with all OEM parts at a little over 15K miles. Turns out the LT5-ignorant mechanic I used at the time had put some thin junk in the transmission, so I replaced the trans fluid with Castrol TWS and the noise was virtually gone. Might be a good 1st step...I'm betting it will quiet the noise and smooth things out a bit as well. Good luck.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #4
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmu1 View Post
I have a new to me '95 with some issues in 5th and 6th at higher speeds. It has a bit over 26k miles. It shifts ok but makes a lot of noise- not good. Also there is a squeal of sort at idle that goes away when the clutch is depressed or the car gets warmed up. I'm needing to diagnose it. Clutch, throw out bearing, trans? Anyone have suggestions where to start? Or maybe a reputable shop in or close to El Paso, TX. Thanks in advance.
I'll guess the pilot bushing is faulty.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote