ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-14-2015   #1
Hib Halverson

Default A TRUE Corvetter passes

I am sad to report that my friend, Jim Van Dorn, has died.

My God, what a shock and a loss.

Jim was known to many in the Corvette hobby as a friend, one of the earliest members of the original ZR-1 Registry, organizer of a number of ZR-1 events in the early years of that part of the hobby, a Corvette service shop owner with a big heart and a willing hand to help any Corvetter in need, the original “Pirate” of “Pirate Racing, outspoken commentator of all things Vette both on the Internet and in print, the guy who put on those great BBQ’s during NCM event weekends, an absolute authority on the C4 ZR-1, Father of three wonderful kids and generally, a damn fine individual.

I was honored to have been his friend for more than 20 years.

In one of life’s cruel ironies, at age 59, Jim died in his sleep, during night of 13-14 May, on the eve of the National Corvette Museum's "C4 Gathering" weekend. Twenty years ago, he organized the “Legend Lives” event at the NCM which began the tradition of a weekend event for C4 ZR-1 owners. Over two decades, what Jim started grew into a three-day event for all C4 enthusiasts, jointly sponsored by the ZR-1 Net and Grand Sport Registries.

My friend, Jim Van Dorn, will be greatly missed by his children, Jim Jr., Erin and Kristen and by all of us in the Corvette hobby who greatly valued his friendship.

Let’s all take a moment...

….then raise our glasses–raise ‘em real high, people–to “The old Pirate”, Jim Van Dorn.

Indeed, the Legend lives”, Van Dorn, and you had a part in keeping it alive!
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 05-14-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added content
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: A TRUE Corvetter passes

Oh no. I am sad to hear of this
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #3
DDSLT5

That's horrible news - he was still a young man! Jim was such a friendly and kind man - sorry to hear this news.
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #4
tomcat

All, when I started my search for my ZR1 2005 he gave me the true 411 on 90 & 91's. He told me I was a "Real Driver" when I e-mailed him I drove my ZR1 TO Antioch & Los Angles California & Los Vegas Nevada & Seattle Washington more than once from Vancouver Washington (Portland Oregon).

Manfred E......

91 #906

Last edited by tomcat; 05-14-2015 at 02:02 PM.
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #5
Meanmyz

It is a shock to hear of this. Jim's name was synonymous with the ZR-1, from the enthusiast side, when reading about the ZR-1 in the early days. It is truly sad to hear this.

Godspeed JVD.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #6
Kevin

Saddened to the core to hear this. We lost a great guy in Jim, hopefully there will be a gathering at his place this weekend to commerate his life. I have one of his pirate racing stickers. I think this is a great time to put it on the car.
Old 05-14-2015   #7
93 ZR1 Barcelona

I just saw that bad news on an email sent from BG.

We have lost one of the great ones in our family.

I will never forget during my life that summer of 2008 when I first met Jim, with my brother Toni in our fist trip from Spain to Bowling Green. He did us an unforgettable couple of days, just for us, he left all his duties in the shop, stayed with us on the Assembly Plant, on the Museum that was still on expansion....a true wonderful days.

And on my later travels to the USA I always passed by Bowling Green to salute him and talk a while about the Corvettes and the ZR-1. And will also never forget the Gathering bbq's of the Thursdays in his shop.

Jim, my friend, will never forget you. Wherever you are now, here we will keep the legend alive !!

Pirate forever.
93 ZR1 Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #8
Corvettes White

Our best wishes to his family and frends.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #9
EuroPete

My friend Ramon (93 ZR1 Barcelona) explained way better than I could ever do who JVD was. Jim was a generous & warm human being. He had that gift of getting people together, he was a real 'gatherer'.

Founding member, he's made the legend live for the last 20+ years. Here's my humble tribute to his Corvette 'sanctuary'. Pics speak louder than words to describe his Corvette passion.

See you on the other side bro.

Last edited by EuroPete; 05-14-2015 at 04:17 PM.
EuroPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #10
PhillipsLT5

I do not know what to say, shocking
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote