ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-25-2016   #1
Billy Mild

Default New O2 sensor, check engine light

I just recently had my Stainless works headers installed along with a set of C6Z cats. At the same time I had new O2 sensors installed from Rock Auto. After the engine comes up to temp the Service Engine Soon light comes on. I get code 63 for right oxygen sensor.

The brand of the O2 sensors is Standard Product. When hooked up to the scanner I noticed one side was around 750-800 counts and the right side is 400ish counts. Not sure what that means,but I also noticed when I rev the engine the counts does not change on the right side.

I purchased a new sensor just so I can get going but is there anything else I need to worry about?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #2
oricale

Default Re: New O2 sensor, check engine light

Definately sounds like the 02 sensor. Optimal 02 sensors for the ZR1 seems to be the bosch series.

Easy ops check would swap the two 02's and see if the counts follow the 02 sensor.
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #3
Hog

Nothing but Delco for the O2 sensors. Avoid Bosch except when purchasing a "wide band" oxygen sensor replacements for a wideband O2 sensor.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #4
Hib Halverson

Actually, there might be nothing wrong with the sensors. It just might be that side of the engine is rich.

Then the AFR is either side of stoich, narrow band sensor's resolution sucks. If one side of the engine is rich, you you won't see much change with the output always hanging around .800 mV or so.

Run the diagnostic procedure in the FSM to decide whether or not the sensor is bad.

Also, you might have a problem with sensor location. You say you're running LS7/LS9 cats so, depending on where your exhaust fabricator located the O2S for bank 2, you could have a problem there.

As for sensors, contrary to "popular" opinion, there is nothing wrong with Bosch O2Ses. In fact, Delphi may be buying sensors from Bosch. When I owned my ZR-1 I ran Denso sensors exclusively because I felt the Denso design was an improvement on the Bosch design.

And speaking of widebands, I just changed to an LC-2 and I have a while bunch of the LSU 4.2 sensors for Innovate LC-1, LM-1 and etc. If anyone is interested, PM me.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #5
Starman

2-3 years ago I installed the long tube, Stainless Works headers. Looking under the car today, I see someone forgot to put cats back on it!!!!

When the headers were installed, I had a set of Bosch 15717 O2 sensors for a truck I no longer owned, still new in the box. Like the factory 13077 sensors, these are heated, but 4 wire with dedicated grounding for the signal circuit. A little crimper work later, they sported the factory 3 wire connectors and dedicated grounds to frame. Work perfectly.

Make the diagnostic checks as Hib indicated -might have a broken wire or bad connection. The harness connector for the passenger side is a bear to get to.

Personally, I would not put a Standard product on a lawn mower. Had an O2 sensor that lasted about 5K miles on a heavily modified L98, does not surprise me you may have one dead out of the box. Bosch invented O2 sensors, that is all that I have used for a very long time.
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #6
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Nothing but Delco for the O2 sensors. Avoid Bosch except when purchasing a "wide band" oxygen sensor replacements for a wideband O2 sensor.
I agree w Hog on the Delco sensors. I had been using Bosch sensors for sometime, but during my data logging I would notice the passenger side sensor in particular would send back a string of 0v readings. For just a few frames, that did nothing, but there were other times where the string of 0's was significant,
I rebuilt my harness extension more than once but no joy. Finally, I read on 3rd Gen about the Delco. Installed that on both sides. More stable and accurate readings. No signal dropout period. I re-did the VE tables using the Delco which resulted in a smoother idle and cruise.
BTW, I use a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband system for display and data logging of WOT. Stone dead reliable for years.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

FYI, don't do what I did once and seal the office where the wires enter the O2 sensor. I thought as a preventative measure sealing it off (with RTV) couldn't hurt - you know...keep oil n water from getting in.

After my 2nd new sensor quickly failed, I learned the O2s need to sample (be exposed to) fresh air in order to work.

Juuust in case anyone else thought about doing that....DON'T!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #8
Billy Mild

I feel like an idiot but the sensor was unplugged. I will tell you that plugging in the passenger side sensor is a pain in the butt. It is in a spot that you can't see. I just had to go by feel.
Old 07-04-2016   #9
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I feel like an idiot but the sensor was unplugged. I will tell you that plugging in the passenger side sensor is a pain in the butt. It is in a spot that you can't see. I just had to go by feel.
So how long has it been like that? We are all guilty of ignoring the rule of Occam's Razor.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #10
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
So how long has it been like that? We are all guilty of ignoring the rule of Occam's Razor.
I drove it a total of 30 miles. These sensors were put on with my SW headers last week.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app