ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-06-2020   #1
zr1daughter

Question Question about removing Bose and installing Pioneer

Would removing the Bose system, including the speakers and CDM and installing a new Pioneer 2500 including it's CDM affect the ASR? Can't get the ASR to come on, no codes. ASR is off and the light is off.

Kinda stumped on why ASR is not working.

1994 ZR1

Thanks!
zr1daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Question about removing Bose and installing Pioneer

Shouldn?t affect ASR. Did you check ASR fuse?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #3
DRM500RUBYZR-1

On a 93+ the CDM is back behind the seat, sharing space with the ASR.
Did you inadvertently interrupt the ASR power connector while removing the CDM?
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #4
XfireZ51

I have AppRadio 4 in my 92 which also has ASR. No issues w it working.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #5
zr1daughter

Thanks, will check the fuse and will check all the connections.

Looks like the light that says the system is off is not turning on and so we thought the system wasn't working when it actually could just be the light?

Will get it sorted out eventually.
zr1daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023   #6
TerraNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1daughter View Post
Would removing the Bose system, including the speakers and CDM and installing a new Pioneer 2500 including it's CDM affect the ASR? Can't get the ASR to come on, no codes. ASR is off and the light is off.

Kinda stumped on why ASR is not working.

1994 ZR1

Thanks!
Hi ZR1daughter, Unfortunately I don?t have an answer to your query but would you let me know what speakers you installing along with the Pioneer 2500 and it?s CDM and were you able to install them without modification of original speaker locations or did you locate them elsewhere?
Many thanks for any response.

1990 ZR1
TerraNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
Hi ZR1daughter, Unfortunately I don?t have an answer to your query but would you let me know what speakers you installing along with the Pioneer 2500 and it?s CDM and were you able to install them without modification of original speaker locations or did you locate them elsewhere?
Many thanks for any response.

1990 ZR1
Having played with aftermarket radio/amps for ZR-1s since 1991, I recommend new infotainment head unit, keep Bose amps/speakers by using Metra interface cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1857...rolet+Corvette

I recommend "ground loop isolators for RCA low level outputs to avoid poping when turning on and off and alternator whine.

Going to a 4 ohm system is an option. However, to do this effectively, speaker housings must be redesigned and fabricated and will be next to impossible to generate low frequency compared to Bose designed ported enclosure.

I added a Alpine 500 watt dedicated amp to feed low profile Pioneer 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure to expand low frequency below Bose system.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...n/IMG_0612.jpg
Old 01-15-2023   #8
TerraNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Having played with aftermarket radio/amps for ZR-1s since 1991, I recommend new infotainment head unit, keep Bose amps/speakers by using Metra interface cables.

I recommend "ground loop isolators for RCA low level outputs to avoid poping when turning on and off and alternator whine.

Going to a 4 ohm system is an option. However, to do this effectively, speaker housings must be redesigned and fabricated and will be next to impossible to generate low frequency compared to Bose designed ported enclosure.

I added a Alpine 500 watt dedicated amp to feed low profile Pioneer 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure to expand low frequency below Bose system.

Many thanks for this reply - very useful. The OEM Bose system is actually working.

If I install a new double din head unit do I need to keep the original CDM or should I replace it or can I just dispose of it and use the Metra cabling to connect the speaker amps directly to the head unit? I apologies as I?m not sure where a CDM has a role in todays head units, they seem to be very complete units.

I should mention I intend to get an all singing dancing head unit with wireless apple carplay and wifi connectivity. I don?t have any need for Compact Disks nor do I even need a SAT NAV as apple maps will generally do for me.

I did read that the OEM aerial connects to the CDM - if the CDM is removed can the aerial now connect to the head unit either directly or via the Metra Cabling too?

I like the idea of adding a subwoofer but I think I?ll try and find one or a pair of them with a smaller /lower profile to hide under or behind the seats. At the end of the day my favourite sounds will come from the exhaust.

Many thanks again for your input.
TerraNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023   #9
secondchance

If I install a new double din head unit do I need to keep the original CDM or should I replace it or can I just dispose of it and use the Metra cabling to connect the speaker amps directly to the head unit? I apologies as I?m not sure where a CDM has a role in todays head units, they seem to be very complete units.
Whole idea of Metra is to use low level RCA output of the new head unit. You do not need CDM.

I did read that the OEM aerial connects to the CDM - if the CDM is removed can the aerial now connect to the head unit either directly or via the Metra Cabling too?
Factory antenna cable from the antenna connects under the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. Connect antenna cable from the new head unit to factory connection.
Old 01-16-2023   #10
max76

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post

I secondchance...i have all the bose system (head unit and speaker) but i insallet 4 little amp in every speaker box (if i remember correctly 25watt), they work good with the original cable, but when i turn on there is a popping as you say and also i hear the alternator whine...and when you run the car is very very noise...how i can erase this noise? Thanks in advance
max76 is offline   Reply With Quote