ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-15-2022   #1
Gibby

Default ABS Service light?

1990 ZR1 - reading about many possibilities. Where should I start ? Waiting on my factory service manual CD to deliver.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022   #2
secondchance

Default Re: ABS Service light?

May be start with pulling code?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022   #3
We Gone

I worked on a buddy's 93 (had been sitting many years) after I got it running had an ABS code was able to clear it with my scanner never came back. unfortunately I don't remember what code it was.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022   #4
tccrab

You will need a GM Tech1A scan tool to diagnose and after fixing the problem, to reset the code.
If the problem turns out to be a faulty relay in the ABS system, I've dealt with this in the past.
The relay is made of pure unobtanium new, you will either have to source a used one off another 1990, or perform a mod like i describe in a post long ago.
Do a search for pasts posts by me on ABS relay mod.

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 02-16-2022 at 01:08 AM.
tccrab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
1990 ZR1 - reading about many possibilities. Where should I start ? Waiting on my factory service manual CD to deliver.
Check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder first. Then get a ALDL code reader after that.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022   #6
max76

Hi guys...
i always have the front reservoir with the oil level lower than the back reservoir....i have no leak...it's normal??
Also if i refill the front one after few miles the level goes down...i dont' know why...the car brakes well...
max76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022   #7
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
The relay is made of pure unobtanium new, you will either have to source a used one off another 1990, or perform a mod like i describe in a post long ago.
Do a search for pasts posts by me on ABS relay mod.Crabs
Years ago I was having problems with my ABS and I went to a Corvette wrecking yard and snagged every relay I could get,got a bag of these things. OP, the sensors are magnetic and over time pick up debris from the road and need to be cleaned from time to time.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022   #8
garyhugo

Z51JEFF, if it is the wheel speed sensors picking up debris have you ever known of someone who has removed cleaned and replaced them and they still worked ?I would be very interested in how they were removed without damage. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2022   #9
Gibby

Update to my original question / issue. Service guy said the relays are causing the ABS light to come on and someone installed aftermarket Bosch brand before me owning the car. He said only way to make light go off is to have GM relays which cannot be bought new. So what next before I yank the bulb to make this problem go away ? Or will yanking the bulb cause another issue ?
Old 05-19-2022   #10
Gibby

how much and are you sure they are good ?