ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-27-2014   #11
SAM/CH ZR-1

Default Re: New Camshaft Blanks

We are testing now new and 1/3 lighter (than stock) lifters. According manufacturer they work ideal with steel cams.

Sam
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #12
tpepmeie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM/CH ZR-1 View Post
We are testing now new and 1/3 lighter (than stock) lifters. According manufacturer they work ideal with steel cams.

Sam
The VW/Audi lifters? They work great. The height is slightly different than stock so you have to make sure the compression is right when installed.
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #13
SAM/CH ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
The VW/Audi lifters? They work great. The height is slightly different than stock so you have to make sure the compression is right when installed.
VW/Audi and Ford Cosworth engines use the same lifters from same manufacturer. The height fit. No lash caps required as long the cams are not regrounded.

Sam
Old 11-27-2014   #14
SAM/CH ZR-1

Here a pic for comparison.

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock vs Ford Cosworth.jpg (39.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-27-2014   #15
Hib Halverson

I'm not looking for new cams and, even if I wanted some, four grand is a bit out of my budget but...I'm always looking to be better educated.

I was curious about the posts above which discuss using valve lifters from Audi or Ford Cosworth engines. Are these lifters Audi or Cosworth lifters hydraulic or mechanical?

Lastly, trying to remember back 25 or more years...I seem to recall that the valve lifter used in an LT5 was originally developed for the "Quad 4". Can anyone confirm?

The Quad 4, was GM's first DOHC engine design and was introduced in the 1988 model year and discontinued after 2002.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 11-27-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: proofread
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #16
Pete

Yes, Quad 4 and LT5 are same lifter.
I also know about the VW/Audi lifter.
I don't know anything about Ford/Cosworth lifter very interesting.
What's the cost of these lifters.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #17
SAM/CH ZR-1

The Dollar is strong at the moment. A set of 32 pieces cost 480 U$ (normal price would be 640) plus shipping 45-50 U$. I have them in stock.

Last edited by SAM/CH ZR-1; 11-27-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2014   #18
SAM/CH ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
I'm not looking for new cams and, even if I wanted some, four grand is a bit out of my budget but...I'm always looking to be better educated.

I was curious about the posts above which discuss using valve lifters from Audi or Ford Cosworth engines. Are these lifters Audi or Cosworth lifters hydraulic or mechanical?

Lastly, trying to remember back 25 or more years...I seem to recall that the valve lifter used in an LT5 was originally developed for the "Quad 4". Can anyone confirm?

The Quad 4, was GM's first DOHC engine design and was introduced in the 1988 model year and discontinued after 2002.
Hello Hib
The lifters are hydraulic. We do here in Europe our own LT5 researches because the requirements are a bit different than what you guys in the States ask for. We do not need a fantastic quarter mile racer. We need a LT5 which can run for a long time and distance with high rpms on the German autobahn without any issues.
For big lobe cams and the valve train it's a challenge to hold and to prevent valve bouncing at high rpms. The Installation of harder valve springs increase the wear unfortunately and the load on all rotating and moving parts.
Therefore it's more useful to go the opposite direction and make the valve train resp. the moving mass leighter and support the reduction of lobe and lifter wear. With leighter lifters and with leight titanium valve spring retainers the moving mass is reduced by about 20%. That means less wear and more safety against valve bouncing. The engine run smoother and accelerate better.

Together with a cam manufacturer we found out that steel cams in combination with harder valve springs will probably sooner or later eat the stock lifters. No matter how the lobes are hardened. It's recommended to switch on other lifters like those from Ford Cosworth. We are still testing and collecting experiences. Also helpful is the use of engine oil with more cinc additives.

Sam

Last edited by SAM/CH ZR-1; 11-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2014   #19
tpepmeie

The VW/Audi lifters are made by INA, in either a Brazil or German factory. The Brazil version is said to be the lightest, and that is what I was using in the 427 with billet steel cams. All surfaces looked new when the engine was torn down.
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #20
SAM/CH ZR-1

Go with the german version due to better production quality.

Sam