ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Have you ever hit the rev limiter?
YES 147 67.12%
NO 72 32.88%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2005   #11
tf95ZR1

Default Re: Poll: Who has ever hit the rev limiter?

"Never wound up past 65" ? I hope you mean in first gear!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #12
RICHARD TILL

nope, just thru 4th. 138 is fast as i`ve ever had it. never brought it out of the hole either. just roll-offs. afraid of breaking something. i`m the second owner. had i been the first and with warranty, "oh boy". people like me are the reason that GM quit the 5 years/50,000 mile warranty in about 1971.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #13
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL
i didnt know that there was a rev limiter. i assumed the limiter was bang-clang-clang-pow, ..."oh sheet".... never wound it up past 65 anyway. too many miles on this ole gal.
Oh I did not just read this....
Old 12-25-2005   #14
tomtom72

I don't know Kevin, I'm with Rich on this one. I've never seen a shift light in anything except 1st & 2nd gears. The "hole shot" thing I agree with him on too...too many bad things that can break, I mean IRS suspension systems were not made for drag racing, right???

If I'm wrong about this please share the light. I just think back to when I had my C3 and all the work rebuilding the rear gear & the PIA it was to change out u-joints. I looked at the whole set up and thought..."don't be launching this car too much or you'll be back under here in no time swapping broken parts!". I know that the peices under the Z are way bigger than what my C3 was using but they are or look like they are mostly made from aluminium???

Straight up, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. But launching an IRS like ya got a ford 9" with a detroit locker center, well you get where my Q is coming from, right?? Heck the Eaton in my C3 was okay, but not as good for launching as the detroit locker in my Mach 1, and that I know for sure. What am I not gett'in??

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #15
Kevin

Tom,
I don't really launch the car all that often either but when I do I leave at 2.5k and just hammer the **** out of her. I look at it this way, I have street tires on the car and if anything is going to break on the car, they will go first. But I hit 7000 in third quite regularly
Old 12-25-2005   #16
tomtom72

Hi Kevin & gingle bells! Thanks for the tip, 2.5 seems to be the # everyone uses. Yea you are right about the tires..I forget that they are not gonna hook up to cause a failure in the IRS. I guess I'm too conservative in my thinking. Chicken me I am.

Let me ask, a combination of speed of coming up with the clutch pedel and going down on the gas, right? Object is to not bogg it and keep a reasonable degree of traction, so it's a balancing act between the two. I'm thinking care is a must or the clutch disc will over heat?? I've just recently started to try a little of that in brisk accleration from traffic lights. I was doing what the owner's manual said about " you can come off the clutch slowly and your corvette will move along without giving it gas except on steep grades". I know it must seem funny to all the other Z owners but it's been 20 yrs inbetween vettes. Coming from 150 or less hp for the past 20 yrs makes you forget what a real motor can do for you, let alone the TQ an LT5 has. To me it is a marvel the smooth power it has!

Thank you for your insight!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 12-25-2005   #17
Kevin

Tom,
What I do is I hold the RPMs at 2.5 and bring the clutch back toward me as fast as I can without sidesteping it and I mash the go peddle as hard as I can
Old 12-27-2005   #18
tomtom72

Oh! & Duh! Thanks for the "how to" on the technique, Kevin! That sounds reasonable, and not very abusive to the drive train. It's been along time for me between vettes, and a car that has some hp for that matter.

Hey, I have had my ZR-1 for a whole year now! Yea!
Man, these cars can cure a bad day!

Tom
Old 12-27-2005   #19
Aurora40

I was doing the ~5,000 rpm launch described on CF at Englishtown. That seemed to work well. The idea was to hold ~5,000 rpm and launch the car with the clutch. I was probably seeing more likt 4-4.5k, but you just let the clutch out as the tires can handle it and off you go. Of course my 2.2 and greater 60' times might not lend credibility to this, but with 10 year old GS-C's putting it down, I thought it worked ok. Seemed to work better than lower rpm launches that either broke it way loose or bogged down (which seems worse for the clutch).

Tom, so your shift light actually comes on? Mine doesn't seem to and I thought later GM ECM calibrations didn't turn it on anymore. But maybe I just have a bulb burned out...
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #20
cuisinartvette

Still a Z noob here, but it seems with a Dana44 and spicer Ujoints there shouldn't be any breakage issues.
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote