Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-29-2011   #21
HADI-ZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Re: Probably the coolest Zr-1 videos I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
If you can't afford to wreck your car road racing or drag racing then you should'nt be doing it in the first place. I suspect 90% can't afford it.
I AGREE!!
HADI-ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #22
Aurora40

Quote:
If you can't afford to wreck your car road racing or drag racing then you should'nt be doing it in the first place. I suspect 90% can't afford it.
What a weird and elitist thing to say. So only rich people should try to have fun on a road course? If you venture on a track, you should expect someone else to wreck your **** because they don't care about money or property?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #23
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
What a weird and elitist thing to say. So only rich people should try to have fun on a road course? If you venture on a track, you should expect someone else to wreck your **** because they don't care about money or property?
Its not an elitist attitude! Thats the risk you take. It might not even be someone driving reckless. Just loosing it around a corner could total it. The whole point of going to the track is to drive faster than you can on the street. You can't control how aggressively some people decide to drive on track days. So just get out of their way. Seems like an easy thing to do don't you think? The point is that you are ultimately responsible for putting yourself in those situations.

Last edited by rhipsher; 09-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #24
mgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADI-ZR1 View Post
I AGREE!!
Folks, I hate to inform you that these videos are of a track day event NOT A RACE!! You do not rub on a track day. These cars many of which do not have roll bars , fire systems etc. This does not mean you do not want to pass the guy in front of you but you do it with reasonable caution. Now if you want to race , get out there with other people who a of comparable skill level in race cars with safety equipment and have at it. Having a competition license for racing mean you have demonstrated a certain skill and understanding of vehicle dynamics, driving techniques etc. As for the comment about not having the money, obviously there is much more serious factors involved than tearing up a car. Jepordizing someones life is just a tad more serious. I have been ther and done that for about five years. In that time I had a friend killed and was also in a bad accident that hurt me physically as well as tearing up a car. Track days are fun and can be dangerous but with proper rules you try to limit the risks. For those of you who have never actually raced or participated in a track day event I would suggest that until you actually do it you really don't have a clue what is involved. That is not being arrogant it is just a fact. I have eaten more than my fair share of humble pie while gaining my competition license but my biggest shock was my early years when I thought I knew it all and didn't have a clue. It is much different experience than most people realize. That being said , I LOVE watching the videos.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #25
Aurora40

Quote:
Its not an elitist attitude! Thats the risk you take. It might not even be someone driving reckless. Just loosing it around a corner could total it. The whole point of going to the track is to drive faster than you can on the street. You can't control how aggressively some people decide to drive on track days. So just get out of their way. Seems like an easy thing to do don't you think? The point is that you are ultimately responsible for putting yourself in those situations.
You take a risk walking outside of your door every morning. Not all risks are equal, though.

I think there's a world of difference between pushing the car hard, overstepping the limits, and stuffing it vs some jackass divebombing you into a turn, losing it and sliding off the track and hitting you.

Obviously that guy hasn't hit anyone, but his driving seems to leave a lot to be desired.
Former owner of #2517

Old 09-29-2011   #26
DaveK

If you can't afford to wreck your car road racing or drag racing then you should'nt be doing it in the first place.

I agree 100% - but that's racing. If this is a HPDE, which it appears to be, then that behavior is unacceptable. I've only been to one HPDE so far, I intend to do more though, but I would not be happy with someone behaving like that. What's more the organizers of the event would have removed someone who behaved that way.

At the event I did go to, passing was only allowed at a time and point designated by the car in front through signalling. That seemed reasonable to me, at one time I was behind a driver who was far slower than me and I could have passed easily, they did not give me the signal and so I didn't pass. I followed them for 3 laps and was bitching to myself the whole time - but the rule was there for a reason.

If you want to drive that way, get a comp. licence and go and compete with other like-minded people. And, no, I can't afford it.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #27
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
You take a risk walking outside of your door every morning. Not all risks are equal, though.

I think there's a world of difference between pushing the car hard, overstepping the limits, and stuffing it vs some jackass divebombing you into a turn, losing it and sliding off the track and hitting you.

Obviously that guy hasn't hit anyone, but his driving seems to leave a lot to be desired.
Don't get me wrong I've done plenty of high risk things and I cannot afford to replace my Z either. Last time I drag raced I had Mickey Thompson DG's and half way down the track my rear end went out from under me and I started fish tailing badly. Not only did I almost kiss the wall but almost took out the ford lightening beside me. That would have been a nightmare that I would have been paying for for a long long time. But fortunately I was able to counter steer and correct and straighten the car back out. A week later Dom totalled his at the track. I havent been back since. Not that I won't ever do it again just not right now.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #28
Torchred96

How can you be certain that this is not a race or that it is a whatever kind of sanctioned event and how do you know the rules? Are yo speculating or do you know for sure.

just asking..I certainly don't know.. I thought it was a race..
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #29
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post
How can you be certain that this is not a race or that it is a whatever kind of sanctioned event and how do you know the rules? Are yo speculating or do you know for sure.

just asking..I certainly don't know.. I thought it was a race..
That would be one weird racing series. 911 GT3 RS's vs Mercs vs ZR-1s vs an Opel Astra wagon and a whole bunch of other crapbox econo cars??

Also the title of that first video says it was the "Touristenfahrten hockenheim" which translates as "Tourist rides" at the Hockenheimring:

http://www.hockenheimring.net/touristenfahrten

The other says it was a Porsche club event.

Edit: I should say most of my comments were based on that first video, the guy seems psycho in that one. The Porsche club one seems much more in control, perhaps as it is a year later and he's improved, or perhaps because the track was wet he took less risks? The car sounds incredible in all of those videos though.

And my opinion is much like DaveK's. I'm no track junkie, only done one HPDE. But I definitely wouldn't keep doing it if everyone else out there drove like that.
Former owner of #2517

Last edited by Aurora40; 09-29-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2011   #30
Torchred96

Agreed, it would be, but arent there lots of races where more than one class of cars competes on the same track and at the same time? I'm not sure what "Tourist Rides" means any more than I know what Touristenfahrten hockenheim meant.

Anyway, forget it...it's not that cool anymore.
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote