ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2017   #1
karlaw

Default NO START on 2 ZR-1's

Red 1990. Starting over again, or should I say WILL THESE CARS EVER START AGAIN.
On my NO START cars, on my red car I got battery charged up in the car for 24 hrs, then I jump in with the key, it cranks over 1-2 turns and fires right up ! But after 10 seconds it dies. This was after sitting for 6 months.
So then I try again, all dead, then I press that little button on ignition switch...the key release button, and then the starter connects and cranks over again.
But nothing fires. So I now learning the key switch release button has to be wiggled at same time as turning key in order to get starter to engage. But engine still won't fire again.
Anyone else experience this ? Also the speedometer /gas gauge not lighting , but as the key turns there is a quick flash of the fuel gauge for 1 second.
Should I be changing out the ignition switch before I go any further in trying to start this beast ? Is that a hard job ?

Is it a special rare switch? I have a 1993 Cadillac STS here, switch looks same on outside. I am thinking "maybe key switch not grounding properly". Is that possible ?
I originally thought the clutch safety switch was shot, but it seems just fine now.
Last year when my mechanic friend got it running, it seemed to idle smooth, and rev up, but took it for drive and the car had about 75-100 hp tops. Then the car went back to No Start

Would a bad fuel regulator cause low power or no start ? I don't know where the regulator is located or how to check.
I put a fuel pressure gauge on the top front RH rail, and it's showing above 50 lbs, so I assume fuel pumps are ok.

Black/black 1990 zr1, similar problem.
Car sat for 3 years after a EX girlfriend stole my lifted Duramax, ..I chased her with my Dinan BMW X5, caught up to her and got ahead 4 car lengths in light traffic. I step out of BMW and walk back towards the Duramax when suddenly she floorboards 500 HP and crosses 2 lanes chasing me on foot, I got to the side of the BMW when the crazed beotch hit the BMW and myself, and hit and run. My body imprint caved in front door in U shape and fender bent car frame from my body slam. X5 was a write off , as was I.
6 months and several ambulance trips, I got home to find house completely robbed, and 2 show bikes gone, and a safe full of cash missing, garage tools gone, cargo trailer gone.
Anyways After 3 years I trying to walk now, and need help with getting these 2 cars to run on a very tiny budget. I need to sell them off, and my 930 Porsche, GTX, Escalade, etc, but need them to start and run.
Last summer, Black car starts up ok, runs idling for 10 min, then dies when I am away from car. Appears bone dry on gas, so pour in 3 gals, car always cranks over fine, but never fires. Replaced 2 fuel pumps using a new one for a 454 fuel injected Suburban from GM, and the other with proper part number from parts store. Easy to install going down thru gas cap area.
Changed fuel filter under passenger door frame rail, put fuel pressure gauge on top of engine, got 52 psi going to fuel rails.
But after 100 attempts, No Start, not even fire. Pulled 8 spark plugs, the spark seemed ok, but I thought Maybe a bit weaker, but looked same as other car.
So got spark and 50psi fuel to top of engine, but nothing, car not fires.
I have even swapped ECM 's between cars, no difference.

A few years back I had a 1990 c4 base corvette. I stopped at his shop one day, car wouldn't start again. This guy happened to be a master mechanic for electronic issues. Left the car for a few weeks, he was stumped. Then finally he soldered in a extra Ground Cable to ecm box. Problem cured. Unfortunately, I never watched where he soldered grounding cable to, and he moved to Calgary south area for movie industry.

Please, any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry