ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-18-2013   #1
vilant

Default Serpentine belt change

So I bought a Goodyear Serpentine belt part #4060805 and decided to replace my old one w/ cracked ribs. On a side note I also heard a squeaking occasionally. After I pulled of the old belt I discovered the squeaking is the alternator. I'll have to find a way to lubricate it w/ silicone spray. Here's the 2 belts, new and old.

I thought this would be easy and it turned into a PIA, which included me dropping my wrench down into the valley of hell, lol. The problem I ran into was I don't have 1/2" breaker bar (not sure it would of helped), so I used my 1/2" socket wrench instead, and found out the coolant lines are in the way of pulling the tensioner all the way back (no matter which way I put the wrench in, above or below coolant line). Was able to pull the old one off and get it out. Getting a new belt in is a little tedious because it has bends in it from the packaging. Anyway, I couldn't get it around the bottom pulley, so I found a long flat bar I had to help guide it around the bottom pulley.

Once I got it around there, the rest of the pulleys were easy enough to go around except the alternator, which I did last. Again, I couldn't pull the tensioner all the way back so it wouldn't go around the alternator pulley, so I improvised. I tied the wrench back to the coolant line w/ a piece Romex (the tensioner doesn't pull that hard as to damage the line).

And came around the passenger side with another long bar and pushed on it from there.

I know, I know everybody's rolling they're eyes at me, but I didn't know what else to do. It went on easy as pie after that. Does anyone know of a better way that doesn't involve draining coolant and removing the coolant lines and better than my caveman tactics, lol?
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599

Last edited by vilant; 01-18-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot something
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #2
jimmy b.

Default Re: Serpentine belt change

Hi Joe, Last spring I changed all my coolant hoses and the "belt'. Well dopey me had all the coolant hoses off including that coolant crossover pipe, ya think I was smart enough to do the belt while all that stuff was out of the way? Well the polish in me shined that day. I put all the hoses and the pipe back together and even put the antifreeze in too.then I started on the belt. It took me a couple of hours and alot of my tools were all over the place. I fought that belt so long that I considered draining the antifreeze and take that coolant pipe out of the way. I've been a heavy equipment mechanic a long time but this was starting to eat my lunch. What I did was I walked away for a couple of hours and came back with a fresh mindset and had it on within 20 min. It was hard I won't lie about that but taking a rest and then trying again later made all the difference in the world for me anyway. Seeing your pics gave me chills I feel for ya...jimmy
jimmy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #3
vilant

Lol, yea I was wishing I had a 3rd arm, 2 to pull the tensioner and 1 for the belt. Was getting angry myself, til I stopped to think of another way, and that was best I could think of, lol.
Old 01-18-2013   #4
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
What did I just read

Use a 1/2 inch socket or a ratchet with a Box wrench extension (slip socket handle through the box). Then rotate the belt tensioner up and toward you while slipping the belt around the LAST pulley which be the Alternator.

Should take 3 minutes....one minute to get the belt tilted on edge past the harmonic balancer, 30 seconds to slip the belt on the power steering, A/C, water pump pulleys, 30 seconds to slip belt on the alternator pulley and 30 seconds to open a can of beer
Maybe my tensioner is set too high. Couldn't pull it back far enough w/ 1 hand while trying to wrap the belt with the other. And I'm no weakling either. There was only 2 spots to fit my wrench and neither spot gave me alot leverage. Couldn't get it from the driver's side either. That was my solution, lol.
Old 01-19-2013   #5
1991ZR1

I think the procedure was to install the belt over and behind the water pump pulley. After the belt is around all the other pulleys, you can pull the belt forward onto the water pump pulley while pulling back on the tensioner.

Even with that procedure, some belts will not go on. I had a new belt with the exact same part number as the original belt that would not go on.
1991ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #6
A26B

"Usually" the most effective way is to go over all of the pulleys except for the water pump & do it last. It's a smooth side drive so the belt ribs don't get damaged when installing.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #7
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991ZR1 View Post
I think the procedure was to install the belt over and behind the water pump pulley. After the belt is around all the other pulleys, you can pull the belt forward onto the water pump pulley while pulling back on the tensioner.

Even with that procedure, some belts will not go on. I had a new belt with the exact same part number as the original belt that would not go on.

This is the best procedure and succinctly written. Belts that are tight between the TB horn and the pulley can be help into place with a bit of soapy water.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #8
efnfast

Thanks guys, I paying attention. My new belt is waiting time for me to put it on, so I'm sucking up all these tricks. -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #9
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Thanks guys, I paying attention. My new belt is waiting time for me to put it on, so I'm sucking up all these tricks. -Steve
Let us know if you find ANY of these hints make it "very easy" to install the belt. I have never found it very easy.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #10
cvette98pacecar

I told everyone it is nice and easy with two small Korean children. On a serious note get a couple of 5 gallon paint sticks it makes the job easy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote