ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-20-2014   #101
Schrade

Default Re: Headers Installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearly Flying View Post
Shrade; Your OCD is starting to show. Looks to me that you have it covered. The header wrap should provide a measure of protection for the wiring. There is quite a bit of airflow through the engine bay, unless the wires are extremely close or touching hot parts, You should be good.
Hmm... I didn't get the D/S bracket milled concentric with the washer here BF; wonder if my ET's will take a hit

Dry fit...

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-20-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #102
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Hmm... I didn't get the D/S bracket milled concentric with the washer here BF; wonder if my ET's will suffer

Dry fit...

That looks a bit flimsy. You can get some steel stock from the hardware store - suggest some 1/2" x 1/8" strap. Use a 1/2" long 1/4" carriage bolt, nut and lock washer to hold the DS flange tight! (tightness will afford a good bit of rigidity.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #103
Bearly Flying

I think you got it covered Schrade, your ET's should be good.

No problem with parts, if you need something, I will see what I've got.
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #104
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
That looks a bit flimsy. You can get some steel stock from the hardware store - suggest some 1/2" x 1/8" strap. Use a 1/2" long 1/4" carriage bolt, nut and lock washer to hold the DS flange tight! (tightness will afford a good bit of rigidity.)
I've got some angle iron and flat iron around here somewhere; what do you cut brackets from there Paul? Do you spot weld them? Or leave them free?

Access to change will be easy, although I tried to move it to rub the pipe, and it's pretty tight strapping doubled.

And now, was one of the flange bolts longer? I didn't notice, as if it matters now..................

Black PTex non-hardening in the D/S grommet:

Clean up removed hardware:

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-20-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2014   #105
4-cam

Looking good! She ought to be making some noise shortly. Lots of little details for " just putting headers and exhaust on the car" isnt there! It sounded so simple when I started my project. Im sure you feel the same way but it will be worth it in the end.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #106
Schrade

Hit a BIG snag...

I had done a dry-fit pipes with the P side headers hung from only the center stud. That allowed header 'play' for the X-section meet-up behind the tranny. Then with the P side header locked in, the second section of PE pipe hit the tranny pan flange, front corner.

It looked like pipe compression AND pan milling was going to be necessary, but.....

So I dropped the auto pan (a nice mess), and the pipe was clear of the case by plenty. And the auto has 1K on it, so not a bad time to do fluid / filter change for break-in.

So we zipped off the lip from the pan flange, polished the edge, hung the pipe, and fit the pan.

Last edited by Schrade; 05-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2014   #107
Blue Flame Restorations

Great work, Chuck!! I really like your attention to detail.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #108
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Wow - what a wrestling match.

All the hardware is hung loose. Only center the clamps and lock down, before pulling the trigger...

Boy-yo-boy, I don't like the exhaust clamp bolt hanging down from the exhaust pipes like that! It looks really nicely done, but take it from me, they will catch on the darnedest things and cause all kinds of headaches (ask me how I know!!) Everything from driving up on a U-haul car hauler to speed bumps, to driving up onto a hydraulic lift for wheel alignment (that one really got mine) to dead possums on the road!

In my case, I have some repair work on my X pipe to do as result. So, I highly suggest you rotate those clamp bolt sections to the side, if possible. Otherwise it is a problem waiting to happen. Trust me!

Very fine work, Cliff. You can come over and clean my engine bay anytime!!

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 05-24-2014   #109
XfireZ51

OH MOST DEFINITELY, rotate this clamps. Clearance is at a premium. You don't want to make it worse or you may be running open headers without any intent to do so.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #110
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
OH MOST DEFINITELY, rotate this clamps. Clearance is at a premium. You don't want to make it worse or you may be running open headers without any intent to do so.
Yeah, no kidding! I experienced that very thing - not on my Z, but on another car. Caught between a concrete wall and a semi while rounding a curve, a piece of concrete on the road came into view. No place to go, so I tried to straddle it best I could. Instant open headers!!

90 #1202
Sans secondaries