efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: Targa storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Anybody tried this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnV2fVk4qu8

What's best for storage? Mines in the cellar on a shelf. -Steve
I bring mine in the house for safe keeping.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #3
Kevin

i saw a guy in ohio with a 93 the other day that had both in the car.
Old 05-26-2013   #4
Z51JEFF

I dont like putting either one in the car,the WS corners get smashed plus it get the carpet dirty.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #5
efnfast

They are definately a bit auckward (sp?).
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks for sharing the video. I almost bought one of these years ago, but don't live in CONUS and the shipping is ridiculous to Hawaii; you guys are so lucky. It would be a nice to have since my spare top are always stored in corner of a spare bedroom. I would like something like this to store my surfboards out of the way too.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #7
Gunny

interesting video ... googled the company and can't see where the product is still available.

One of my summer projects is updating/restoring my garage ... 3 bays with 18' ceilings. I intend to add blown in cellulose insulation in all the walls (replacing the old paneling with something better/thicker) and the ceiling, epoxy coating the floors, and add a ductless HVAC for year round comfort. If I don't run out of funds, I'll order a 4 post lift too.

Several years ago I bought the targa storage fittings that are inside the C4 ... in theory it should work to mount these fittings on one of the garage walls so that I can slip the spare top into the fittings, same as I would be storing it in the back of the Z. I think (hope) this will work since it will be a relatively inexpensive solution ... the 3 fittings cost less than $20 total. So we'll see if this ends up being a good deal ... or not !!!
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
interesting video ... googled the company and can't see where the product is still available.

One of my summer projects is updating/restoring my garage ... 3 bays with 18' ceilings. I intend to add blown in cellulose insulation in all the walls (replacing the old paneling with something better/thicker) and the ceiling, epoxy coating the floors, and add a ductless HVAC for year round comfort. If I don't run out of funds, I'll order a 4 post lift too.

Several years ago I bought the targa storage fittings that are inside the C4 ... in theory it should work to mount these fittings on one of the garage walls so that I can slip the spare top into the fittings, same as I would be storing it in the back of the Z. I think (hope) this will work since it will be a relatively inexpensive solution ... the 3 fittings cost less than $20 total. So we'll see if this ends up being a good deal ... or not !!!
Hey George,

I just noticed "Gunny" instead of "Tuband". Sounds like some great garage upgrade project you have there. One regret I have is never making it to your home when I lived in Augusta and you sure do have a nice property.

That is an awesome idea and let us know how that works out with the mounts from the car. I have that slide brace thing in mine that make it easy to put the top in the car, but I guess that would not help in a vertical application. I think you have a great, inexpensive solution there. Take care and please say hello to the missus.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #9
Gunny

Hi Craig,

Yeah, I've missed seeing/visiting with you since you left Gordon. I don't have the slide brace, but I think I will "dry fit" the 3 fittings to the bare wall before I replace the paneling. I plan to mount the 2 fittings (behind the seats) so that the top slides down into those fittings with the button fitting at the top so that the top pushes in and locks into place. I'll either get a commercial cover or possibly get Kaye to stitch a soft fabric into a slip bag that slides over the whole thing.

Update on the property that you might not know about ... I had built another building behind our main house for the purpose of a workshop/garden house/utility storage. About 20 months ago I made a quick conversion of the building into an efficiency cottage and moved my mother (now 94) from Texas to live with us. She still has a little independence but can no longer drive so it's been a good solution for everyone. In addition Kaye found another piece of property in the mountains of north Georgia so we now have a mountain getaway nestled amongst some of the most fun roads on the east coast ... I'm less than an hour from the Smoky Mtns and about 1-1/4 hrs from the Dragon. We're really enjoying our time up there but maintenance on 2 properties that are 4 hours apart is a new challenge.

There's another thread about the 2013 BG pics and more ... the "more" was seven Z's running the mountain roads of the area for 3 days before going to BG for the gathering. Everyone came over to the house for coffee/dessert after the first day's run and I think everyone really enjoyed the mini-gathering. Check out the thread which gives some links to photos of our adventure (all the pics are on my website zrwon.com -- link on my post above)

How much longer will you be in Japan? Any idea where your next assignment will be?

George
Old 05-26-2013   #10
Gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
I just noticed "Gunny" instead of "Tuband".
There's another story ... for one reason or another, more & more people have decided that my appearance resembles the actor R. Lee Ermey, a former marine who became famous for his role in Full Metal Jacket and now does various TV commercials. Anyway, several of the registry members started calling me Gunny and it stuck; besides, I don't think any of my Corvette friends have ever heard me play the tuba, even though I just performed 2 concerts last week. Ah, well ...