ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-10-2019   #11
spork2367

Default Re: $15,000 for an LT-5 motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
You are saying a Crate Engine is the Same as a Rebuild
Huh? I'm saying that any perceived value lost in rebuilding the original engine with non original parts (different pistons, liners, and rings, at the least) is probably comparable to putting in an engine that wasn't stamped at the factory with the cars VIN, i.e. a crate engine.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
You forgot to mention the Or Make Offer.

You should be talking about the Offer the Seller Accepts and then you can critique the Buyer

95' Crate Engine which will go into my 95 with ZFdoc Rebuilt 91' Trans with Short Shifter sometime when I am short of work

Drool. I’m sorry but the form factor of this engine vs the Tupperware generation is like a bikini vs a potato sack
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019   #13
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Valve springs, or any other good springs do not incur any fatigue during static conditions which do not exceed yield strength. Fatigue is eventually caused by cycles of torsional motion.

Actually an LT5 crate engine properly stored can be installed and driven off into the sunset, provided they were properly stored & prepped for running. LT5 new crate engines were prepared for long term storage.

I shipped a new crate engine to Japan & the customer had no problems with the engine. Another went to a customer in New Mexico who did not encounter any problems. I know of other instances with the same trouble-free results.
I concur with Jerry. A GM properly crated engine I have never heard of an issue. A used sold as a “crated engine” you are taking your chances

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-10-2019   #14
efnfast

Why would the collective "we" who always bitches about the crappy value of our cars, pooh pooh a guy who wants good money for what he has. We should be praising the asking price of this. If "we" on this site don't dictate the value of our cars, who will? The market? We are the market.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019   #15
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Why would the collective "we" who always bitches about the crappy value of our cars, pooh pooh a guy who wants good money for what he has. We should be praising the asking price of this. If "we" on this site don't dictate the value of our cars, who will? The market? We are the market.
True but I kind of get it. The reality is YES you can buy a whole car for that kind of money. I never went into this hobby for the money and I will probably WILL my sons my Zs vs. selling them. The engine is worth what the market is willing to pay. If he gets it great. Right? No poo pooing justified.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-10-2019   #16
Ccmano

Luv the motor Cliff....

H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019   #17
Karl

Quote:
I hope the seller gets $15k for the engine. I believe everyone wants to see their vehicle values increase. Especially when compared to it's peers of the '90s.

Hope I didn't sound like a hater!

👍
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #18
spork2367

Quote:
I don't know what "pooh poohing" is. People simply stated that his price is high for the market. I don't think anyone is personally offended at his listing price. He can ask 100k if he wants. Plus, he has "make an offer," which may mean he is more realistic, but is shooting for the moon on the buy it now. I think at 12 or 12.5 it would probably be gone. Although that 3k isn't a lot, it is 20% of the total value.

"We," the people who visit this forum, constitute a very small number of ZR1 owners overall. So if "we" ask prices that don't reflect what people are willing to pay, "we" will just be sitting on unsold cars.

If we made up 75% of the ZR1 owners, we could probably artificially alter the value. On our best day, we're less than 10% of the ZR1 market. And most on here own a car or two and aren't in the current buying market. Nor would anyone on here looking for another car want to pay more.

Sellers want more money, buyers want a deal. Sellers do not and can not control the market unless the supply is extremely limited...It isn't.

The crate engine market isn't all that limited either, and it isn't likely to exceed the low to mid mileage car market.

Wish in one hand, you know what in the other and see which fills up faster.

We can't alter the market by simply upping our prices because the commodity we have isn't that rare or desirable. It is to us, but we're current owners, not current buyers.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019   #19
EvanZR1

IF this had been available when I had my motor issue, I would have considered it at around half the asking price. But definitely not for $15K. For that price I got a fully ported 391 closed deck from Pete.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019   #20
Corvette95

I had two crate LT'5 for a long time, one had a GM HOT PARTS tag. When I had to move for work, I sold most of my Corvette NOS stuff, I got 10k each for those. Both stored correctly, even changed the oil, and hand cranked the crankshaft once a year.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote