ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-28-2019   #51
secondchance

Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Update: I still have not found a solution to the code 43 (Knock sensor). I just started to actively put the issue to bed. The sensor harness volts checked out OK and the resistance to block is also OK. Marc H. has been nice enough to assist with trouble shooting this. One possibility is after the car reaches running temp and is moving, the ECM runs a self diagnostic by generating a knock to check the knock sensor is functioning. It is possible this knock is not being picked up be the sensor and the fault code results. The code is generated when the coolant reaches about 200F like clock work. I have an ALDLdroid data scanner and it confirmed there was no increase in knock count when the code was generated but the engine was retarded by 7 degrees once the check engine light appears sooooo…… I have a knock sensor on order from Jerry and Marc is researching the issue to see if there are any programable options.
Torque spec for knock sensor I believe is 14 lb-ft. Check the manual to be sure.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019   #52
Subfixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Update: I still have not found a solution to the code 43 (Knock sensor). I just started to actively put the issue to bed. The sensor harness volts checked out OK and the resistance to block is also OK. Marc H. has been nice enough to assist with trouble shooting this. One possibility is after the car reaches running temp and is moving, the ECM runs a self diagnostic by generating a knock to check the knock sensor is functioning. It is possible this knock is not being picked up be the sensor and the fault code results. The code is generated when the coolant reaches about 200F like clock work. I have an ALDLdroid data scanner and it confirmed there was no increase in knock count when the code was generated but the engine was retarded by 7 degrees once the check engine light appears sooooo…… I have a knock sensor on order from Jerry and Marc is researching the issue to see if there are any programable options.

I have the exact same problem in my 92. Running out of parts to throw at it. Knock sensor already replaced. Same results with voltage and resistance readings. All connections to the ECU have been checked for continuity to each sensor. Same symptoms and readings on ALDLdroid. The 7 degree retard is the ECU going into safe mode. The only parts I haven't replaced are the O2 sensors, as one is intermittent 0.0 volts (with no code set), MEMCAL chip (although I removed Mark's piggyback and used the stock chip with no change in symptoms) and the ECU.
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019   #53
Z51JEFF

In general GM only supports replacement parts for 8 years then the parts are no longer made. It’s pretty sad when you can’t get a part for an 8 year old GM product but you can to a V.W. dealer and buy new bumper brackets for a 30 year old bug.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #54
KJL

Update:
After some additional testing it was determined that the knock sensor circuit located in the memcal chip was not detecting knocks at all. Repeat attempts at using a steel rod and hammer could not produce a recorded knock even with the new knock sensor. I sent the chip to Mark and he confirmed my ALDLdroid readings as being correct. He replaced the knock circuit and verified correct function and returned the chip to me. No more code 43. I have not yet verified with the ALDLdroid knocks are being received using a rod and hammer on the driver side exhaust flange but chances are good all is well as it would not be passing the self knock system diagnostic otherwise. Lesson learned here is to collect as much data as possible to assist the experts like Mark diagnose the problem.

Also, the knock sensor does not penetrate the water jacket so no need to worry about losing coolant.
1995 ZR1 #159
Ported,Corsa,4.10 Rear, Dual Disc RAM Clutch, Alum Flywheel, Haibeck Chip, ZFDoc Plates, Relocated Battery 400 rwhp
1992 ZR1 #280
Ported, Locked Secondary's, Flowmaster Exhaust, Haibeck Chip, 375rwhp
1996 Collectors LT4 (Stock)
1972 Convertible 434 Small Block
572 rwhp

Last edited by KJL; 01-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.
KJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020   #55
davidijaxson

I have been shopping for a ZR-1 and am getting ready to head out of state to look at one and pull the trigger if all is as expected. The car is in great shape, a 1990 with 28k. However being 30 years old I realize that things can break at any time. Given this thread I am having concerns that maybe making the purchase is not the best decision to make. I am sure most of you have had your car for some time. Would you purchase a ZR-1 now giving what you know about parts availability and probably a myriad of other things I am not aware of. I appreciate any input.
davidijaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020   #56
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidijaxson View Post
I have been shopping for a ZR-1 and am getting ready to head out of state to look at one and pull the trigger if all is as expected. The car is in great shape, a 1990 with 28k. However being 30 years old I realize that things can break at any time. Given this thread I am having concerns that maybe making the purchase is not the best decision to make. I am sure most of you have had your car for some time. Would you purchase a ZR-1 now giving what you know about parts availability and probably a myriad of other things I am not aware of. I appreciate any input.
Parts are readily available........there is NO Myriad of other things....
I do a standard top end restoration (see signature) and replace all fluids with the best (SAME FOR ALL ZR-1s)....

The LT5 is the most fun, most reliable and most unique engine around.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-17-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020   #57
lfalzarano

I’ve had mine for 20 years. I keep it stock and I expect things will fail over time. Batteries and tires are the big expense. Parts are available from many reputable sources. There are many experts in this group and some offer rebuilding parts as a service. They are great and not expensive. Most of the ZR-1 is basic C4. The engine obviously not.

So if the care looks in great shape and the engine is clean, you could pull the trigger. If you provide the location, maybe a member could drop by and look it over with you.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 01-17-2020   #58
lfalzarano

BTW - take it for a test ride. Nail it and once you hit redline if you are not smiling from ear to ear, look for another car. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 01-17-2020   #59
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidijaxson View Post
Now the more pragmatic response (maybe a bit cynical). If you want a fantastic driver's car, are willing to live with slightly higher maintenance costs, and aren't overly concerned about originality. Go for it.

If originality is important, that will be hard to maintain on a driver's car as there are some replacement parts that no longer have OEM replacements. When it comes to engine parts, Jerry's is really the only reliable source. When people say "many sources" that really only applies to the non-zr1 specific parts.

There are a very small number of parts that can be very difficult and expensive to replace/fix. DIS modules come and go on ebay, but they aren't always out there. There have been few failures, but the average mileage for the entire population of zr1's is probably in the 20-30k neighborhood, so not really failure point yet. Don't know where Jerry is at on his replacement.

Transmissions are also expensive, zr-1 specific, and tough to find. Most are repairable.

Body panels from the doors back are specific and getting harder to find. I know no one buys a car planning on wrecking it, but accidents happen (often by other drivers).

You could have 80-90% as much fun in a modified non-zr1 C4 or lightly modified C5 for a fraction of the cost (of buying and maintaining), but the zr-1 has an allure to it that is hard to resist.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020   #60
DRM500RUBYZR-1

"Would you purchase a ZR-1 now giving what you know about parts availability and probably a myriad of other things I am not aware of. I appreciate any input."

David, this is not directed at you.

I have heard these same words for over 25 years now.
Yet I know of very few, if any, sidelined cars over a lack of parts.
Perhaps a lack of proper diagnosis at the moment, but not lack of parts.
Reminds me of a movie......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBFCaWiQ28

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote