ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-11-2016   #71
Racinfan83

Default Re: ZR-1 Road Trip to Newfoundland & Labrador Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post

Jim
Jim what is that building exactly? And how was it constructed? Looks really interesting I've never seen one like that...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #72
QB93Z

While we were in St Anthony, we discovered that the rear tires of the ZR-1 are having very accelerated thread wear on the rear tires. My assessment is that we will not be able to drive the rest of the trip on these tires.

I do not know the cause of the wear yet. It is not from burn outs at lights, I have been driving very conservatively.

We determined that there are no 315/35/17 tires of any brand in Newfoundland. We searched Nova Scotia and discovered that there are also no tires in Nova Scotia. The best I could find was a 2 week delivery of Goodyear tires to a tire store in Halifax. We searched the US and bought Sumitomas from TireRack for rapid shipment to a tire store in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

We will complete our plan for seeing Newfoundland, take the ferry back to North Sydney and then wait in Sydney for the tires. If the tires arrive as scheduled, we will be able to catch up to our original plan.

The tire wear affects both rear tires with a little more wear on the right side. The wear is uniform across the left tire and slightly more on the outer edge of the right tire. All tire pressures are proper.

I replaced both rear wheel bearings last spring and got a 4-wheel alignment at that time.

Any ideas about what I should check for when I get the new tires install will be appreciated.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #73
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Jim what is that building exactly? And how was it constructed? Looks really interesting I've never seen one like that...
The buildings are interesting. The walls are constructed of blocks of peat cut from a bog. They are composed of roots and twigs embedded in a peat moss-like material. There is an interior frame of logs about 5 inches in diameter, with an arched overhead that supports a wooden mat of sticks and branches, then soil and grass. There are wooden plank doors that are mounted on a pole that twists in a rock carved with a shallow dish shape.

There are vents at the top for interior fire pits. Some of the "craft" buildings had a roof vent that could be closed. The inside is dark because there are no windows. They used shallow stone bowls to burn lard or tallow for light.

The sleeping platforms are against the walls and the central space was used for living and working space.

The guides said that the buildings will not last more that about 25 years without rebuilding. At L'Anse aux Meadows there is no archeological evidence that the buildings were rebuilt. This creates a limit on how long the settlement was used.

The large building Lyndi is in front of, could house 30 people.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member

Last edited by QB93Z; 08-11-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2016   #74
QB93Z

Good news! We found a tire dealer in Deer Lake, NL that took the time to figure out what we needed and found an acceptable substitute tire that will get us to Sydney, NS safely. Our new tires should be there when we get there.

Very special thanks to Simmons Tire in Deer Lake, NL

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

WAZOO Member
Old 08-12-2016   #75
QB93Z

Friday, Day 18: We started the day by reclaiming a Nikon Camera battery charger that we let in our cabin by mistake two days ago. Luckily, the cleaning staff had found the charger and our itinerary took us past the cabins again.

We drove east to Deer Lake to get our tire problem solved. Andy Simmons, the owner of Simmons Tire Company did everything he could for us. First we tried a possible substitute tire on one of my rims, but the rim was too wide for the tire. Next he found some standard size rims and some discontinued tires that met our needs. They don't look very good on the ZR-1, but they will get us back on the road and I will be able to drive to Sydney, NS without risk of a blowout.

The issue then became: Could we fit my rear rims in to the car with all out luggage and stuff?

Well, we did it. Because we use the small zipper bags for our clothes, we were able to put the two rims in the back and then fit everything we had in and around them. The tire crew was amazed.

Here is the result: (Caution, the image below may be disturbing to ZR-1 fans.)

Back on the road, we headed east toward Gander in the interior of Newfoundland. The terrain was hilly with pines, fir, and birch trees. There were still some marshy areas. We traveled on TCH:

TCH-1 across Newfoundland is primarily a two lane road with many passing lanes. The road is in good condition:

We spotted our first moose since we have been in Newfoundland, a female at a distance. She quickly ran back into the forest:

to be continued.....

Last edited by QB93Z; 08-12-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2016   #76
QB93Z

After a 231 mile drive we reached Gander:

Gander's primary commerce is related to the international airport. The population is about 11,000 people. We found the people to be friendly and welcoming. During World War II, more than 20,000 military aircraft used Gander as a refueling stop on the way to Great Britain for the war effort.

We visited the Aircraft Museum and enjoyed the exhibits.

Jim
Old 08-12-2016   #77
Demps

Looks like fun!

I'd bet the weight in the rear is changing the suspension geometry...effectively rendering an out of alignment situation.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016   #78
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Looks like fun!

I'd bet the weight in the rear is changing the suspension geometry...effectively rendering an out of alignment situation.

Ted
Interesting idea. When I get the replacement tires installed I plan to get an alignment. Do you think I should have the load in the rear for the best result?

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

WAZOO Member
Old 08-12-2016   #79
Demps

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Interesting idea. When I get the replacement tires installed I plan to get an alignment. Do you think I should have the load in the rear for the best result?

Jim
BMW would place weights in the car to align my M-5. You may consider leaving it loaded to check alignment--I bet it'll be off. Here's why I say this: when I installed coilovers & lowered the car it required a significant adjustment.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #80
Riviera

My suggestion - Have the car aligned with the normal amount of "stuff" that you have in your Z on a daily basis not with your trip gear. If you do it fully loaded with all your trip items you are setting up an artificial situation which will throw the alignment off when you remove the load. Unless what you are carrying in your Z is in excess of the suggested weight that the car should carry an alignment done when the car is empty should not affect the alignment or suspension. If it is I would say it is an indicator of a larger problem.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote