ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-05-2017   #61
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
We can't even use the word "substitute" for a real Philly Steak and not sure I have ever had a real one.

Once I retire and no longer have benefits under the Status of Force Agreement (SOFA) to register and pay lower taxes, I'm not sure I want to pay through my nose for what will be a 30 year old car by then. The road taxes here are based on cc of the engine size so it will get ridiculous to continue owning a V8 as well as the additional tax for the age. Right now it would be $1,000 a year just for road tax. Not counting the inspection and registration. In addition, I'm not going to screw with all the idiosyncracies of this car in old age. By then I might have to just junk the car as C4s have no real value here. I'll enjoy it for now though and love it.

That is why Cliff is "Dynomite"!

Thanks for your thoughts and keep up the great work.
Craig,
I read the PM before this post, so no need to answer that particular question again....lol

You are correct, there is no substitute "for a real Philly (cheese) steak". As many times I have tried in my travels to different states, it is just not the same. One of my favorite combo's is, cheesesteak w/provolone and fried onions.....very tasty to say the least!!! And I prefer the actual pieces of cheese, although we also offer the liquid cheese, which I am not a fan of!!!

That is crazy with the auto tax there, but it is what it is.....You can't junk the Z after all that time.....someone will buy it back home.....

Yes, Cliff along with quite a few others here are very knowledgeable not only on the LT5, but also on the C4 in general. This forum has a great knowledge base for sure....

Your welcome and I'll keep trying to do the best....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017   #62
Roadster

update!!!!

Continuing to check as much as I can anywhere there are things to be checked.
Did an ohm test on the spark plug wires, I also have a spare set, so I compared the two sets.
According to my findings, I think #8 plug is bad, reason being is that I could not get a reading on the wire. It stayed @ 1 on the meter even though it intermittently flashed numbers for a spilt second or so, no matter how many times I tested the wire.
The range in specs allows up to 30,000 ohms, any reading above that the wire is to be replaced. Thank you Jep for that info as per the FSM...
So I set the meter @ 20k and figured any reading above that would surely seem suspect. Also to my understanding is the different length in the wire(s) will give you different readings. So all wires will not give you the exact same result.
I believe my wires are original as far as I know.

Results are in "thousands"

Original wires.................Used original wires.........
#1 9.25------------------8.94
#3 7.00------------------7.74
#5 4.87------------------6.12
#7 4.63------------------4.92

#2 6.88------------------7.91
#4 7.27------------------8.25
#6 4.82------------------7.62
#8 no reading-----------8.73-------extra #8 7.29

As you can see both sets of wires and the extra #8 wire are all within specs. The only wire I am replacing will be #8.
Does this have anything to do with my high idle issue? IMO, I don't think so, but it may address why my idle even when I considered it to be "normal", even before the high idle issue, does fluctuate 40-50 rpms. It could be that #8 plug wire has something to do with that issue.

in the following pics you may be able to see that there is no corrosion inside of the wire shown, which all of them looked like, except #8...
inside of a plug wire coil side...

inside of a plug wire plug side...

#8 coil side....good...

#8 plug side...not so good...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2017   #63
Roadster

meter hooked up to #7 original wire...

replacement #8 wire looking good at each end...

continuing on......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-07-2017   #64
Roadster

Disassembly continues....lol as if I don't have enough going on with the other two!!!
I went against some advice about removing the coolant pipes for concern about coolant bolts breaking. I took a chance and took my time, and safely removed all eight bolts...whew!!! There was just too much crud on and around them to try and clean with them still on the engine. So I consider myself lucky with their removal...
Now if only I can remember how it all goes back together, I will be in good shape....lol...
I didn't know what to expect when I removed the pipes, but the inside of the pipes and the IH's where the pipes attach are extremely clean. I thought I might find some residue, etc., I was surprised!!!
Some pics...will look much better after prep & paint...

notice the numbers on the RS pipe, looks like either a #2, letter "Z", or 7-11...

IH side....

too much crud, needs a good cleaning...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-07-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2017   #65
carter200

After you clean/paint them send to me to engrave them. Makes a very nice addition to the overall engine aesthetics. Send to me, will engrave and paint the engraving and send back in mail the next day.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #66
S.hafsmo

Remarkably clean coolant passage. I assume you've installed the Carter bling on the TB? How did it look under the old TB cover?
Old 05-08-2017   #67
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Remarkably clean coolant passage. I assume you've installed the Carter bling on the TB? How did it look under the old TB cover?
How did yours turn out?

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
Old 05-08-2017   #68
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
After you clean/paint them send to me to engrave them. Makes a very nice addition to the overall engine aesthetics. Send to me, will engrave and paint the engraving and send back in mail the next day.
I just might do that, as I have an idea for engraving something on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post

Yes it was, and as explained to me, along with the improvements of antifreeze over the years and using distilled water makes for a clean inside...

I have not worked on the TB as of yet. And I haven't received my Carter bling yet. Will update as the job moves on, looking to get something done on the TB this week. But also going out to the 74 three or four days this week, so keeping busy to say the least.....lol

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 05-08-2017   #69
Roadster

Started cleaning the cam covers last night to get rid of the grease and grime that has accumulated over the years. Still undecided if I should go ahead and paint them on the car as Steve (We Gone) did, which was an amazing job. Depending on how clean I get them, I might just detail the bolts and let it be as is, and also repaint the letters. The sides of the IH's are coming up nice. So we shall see.

Also going to order the TB coolant bypass line from Marc, rather than tap into anything to eliminate the coolant from there, it seems more user friendly to me...lol

just a mild clean up so far....much, much more to clean....don't know if I'll be able to get the stains completely eliminated...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 05-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2017   #70
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I have not worked on the TB as of yet. And I haven't received my Carter bling yet. Will update as the job moves on, looking to get something done on the TB this week. But also going out to the 74 three or four days this week, so keeping busy to say the least.....lol
Programming the engraving in the morning and hope to be painted/done and in the mail to you Thursday afternoon.......

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155