ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2016   #61
Mystic ZR-1

Default Re: LED headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
They weigh quite a bit more. The stock lights are all plastic and weigh maybe 1 pound. The new lights have a huge metal heatsink. If I had to guess I would say maybe 5 lbs.
Back in the day, wasn't GM going to the plastic lites due to a weight concern?
Easier on the operating mechanism.
Not an issue any more?
Agreed stock lites are terrible!
In the 3 C4s I've owned , they all ran Hella Z Beams w/H4 55/100w bulbs.
Way better than stock 55/60w halogens! 100/130w bulbs would probably work better but I'd be concerned with current draw, not to mention way too bright for low beams.
What do the LEDs look like on low beam to the oncoming traffic?
Could be an excuse to stop you if the oncoming traffic's a cop...
Old 01-30-2016   #62
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I don't drive my Vettes in the snow...very often. BUT! Before jumping on (any) bandwagon, look at this video showing the GE Nighthhawk/Truck Lite LED...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43taQiTh3g

It would appear someone driving in the snow w/ the LEDs one would be F'ked in a very short time.

Food for thought. As long as we're talking Corvettes that as a rule don't see many blizzards, it probably isn't an issue.

At the moment, I like the GENNSSI DOT approved LED headlights. (Amazon), far as the patterns it throws; Low beam "drive line" especially.

Still on the fence...ready to pull the trigger. But, at $400 ish for the pair, I wouldn't want to be sorry for not shopping some more.
Since LEDs seem to be the future of lighting, does anyone know what the auto manufacturers are doing to combat this problem of color temp and adverse reflection?
Old 01-31-2016   #63
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Since LEDs seem to be the future of lighting, does anyone know what the auto manufacturers are doing to combat this problem of color temp and adverse reflection?
Nothing I'm aware of. Easy solution would be lower color temp for driving/fog lights.
Old 02-22-2016   #64
secondchance

Update - I met up with Sccrem last Saturday at the local cars & coffee. We parked side by side and turned on botha LED headlights (Sccrem inastalled a set of GE Nighthawks a few months ago). Although the daylight was breaking and not completely dark, light patterns looked pretty much identical. Further visual inspection of the lens, inside under (high beam LED) and upper (low bead LED) looked identical. Only difference was GE having a chrome bar separating the low/high beam with GE logo. Later Google search indicated GE is actually re-branded Truck Lite LEDs - if you believe what you read on the internet. Regardless, I am convinced that both originates from the same manufacturer.
Old 02-26-2016   #65
Locobob

After nearly plowing an errant deer last night I must say my interest in this thread has been perked....

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Old 02-26-2016   #66
Karl

I did the auto pal and h4 upgrade off eBay.

~$70
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Old 02-26-2016   #67
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Later Google search indicated GE is actually re-branded Truck Lite LEDs - if you believe what you read on the internet. Regardless, I am convinced that both originates from the same manufacturer.
Thanks for posting this. My investigation indicates the same thing.
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
Old 12-30-2016   #68
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks Yun! I received my Truck-Lite LED headlights today and installed as soon as I came home. I love it. I did not drive with them yet, but impressed with everything so far.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Old 12-30-2016   #69
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks Yun! I received my Truck-Lite LED headlights today and installed as soon as I came home. I love it. I did not drive with them yet, but impressed with everything so far.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I'm glad you are happy with the result! Did you modify the fog light ground? My first mod (my own) and second mod (Charlie's 92), I cut and re-grounded fog light ground wire. For the 3rd (Rich's 90) and the 4th (Phil's 94), I removed the relay, bent the leg connecting to the ground, soldered a piece of wire and grounded to the frame - much neater solution. I can't remember who suggested it but it works beautifully!

BTW, is that a custom bumper? Shinoda?

Happy New Year, Craig!
Old 12-30-2016   #70
edram454

My two cents, personally I like the CREE Led lights better. Thank God I sold them before the car was sold so it went to a good home but the had a much more exotic look than these. If my car was behind you with the lights on you would think it was a Pagani Zonda. Absolutely my favorite LED lights.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
Closed Thread