ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-24-2013   #51
Tony Davila

Default Re: Water/Methanol Injection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Tony,

I'm not sure of how the control systems on these systems work, but you're not getting a valid vacuum signal by tying in upstream of the throttle plates at the IAT sensor location.

As load increases, plenum pressure rises, however at the air horn pressure is at it's highest at low load and decreases as load increases.

Don't know if this means anything or not. Just throwing it out there.

Jep
Hi Vette Vet, I have attached the diagram below. What you are talking about is not my vacuum source but where I am spraying my mist.

This is the diagram that came with the Snow Performance Water/Meth Inj system.

A close up of where I installed the injector.

Inside view of the nozzle in the Air Horn.

From the Vacuum activation switch I used manifold vacuum. I attached there because it was available due to no secondaries installed.

Hope this helps.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #52
rkreigh

a couple of recommendations for you

even though it's super convenient to use that port on the throttle body I'd move it to the bottom and center it so the fan sprays straight down the throat and gives a better mixture/distribution. I'd use a silicone samco duct and just cut right in the center more towards the air filter to give the alchy the best suspension and more time to make the turns into the ports.

your way will probably work just fine, but I'm a purist and want to get the mixture as even as possible on all 8 cyl.

it might be overkill but I always worry about puddling injecting at a 90 deg angle to the airflow

also, spray pure meth. it will give you all the cooling you need and burn it all for more power. the water/meth mix will work well too but I think you'll be happier on pure alchy

good luck, great project.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #53
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
also, spray pure meth. it will give you all the cooling you need and burn it all for more power. the water/meth mix will work well too but I think you'll be happier on pure alchy
I'm doing research on the pure Meth solution. I might slowly add more alchy to my mix to a possible 75% Meth to 25% water and see how she performs. This is new to me so I need to be careful to not assume anything.

You are right the IAT port was convenient place to install the injector. If you could see how big the spray plum is when on and know that it is only activated at WOT, I think there will be no pooling problem because the Air Horn is tilted down. I will be careful though and thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Tony Davila; 01-24-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013   #54
VetteVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
Hi Vette Vet, I have attached the diagram below. What you are talking about is not my vacuum source but where I am spraying my mist.

This is the diagram that came with the Snow Performance Water/Meth Inj system.

A close up of where I installed the injector.

Inside view of the nozzle in the Air Horn.

From the Vacuum activation switch I used manifold vacuum. I attached there because it was available due to no secondaries installed.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, Tony. I misunderstood your description of the system. Makes more sense now.

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #55
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
I'm doing research on the pure Meth solution. I might slowly add more alchy to my mix to a possible 75% Meth to 25% water and see how she performs. This is new to me so I need to be careful to not assume anything.

You are right the IAT port was convenient place to install the injector. If you could see how big the spray plum is when on and know that it is only activated at WOT, I think there will be no pooling problem because the Air Horn is tilted down. I will be careful though and thanks for your suggestions.

tony, now that I look closer at the meth jet my idea wouldn't work anyway

great system, thanks for the write up. one weather gets better love to see back to back runs at the track to see how much MPH you pick up

back to back dyno runs would do it too. I'm betting there is about 20-30 hp available on pure meth

on the turbo cars, it's worth a ton and can almost eliminate the need for intercoolers (nice "liquid" intercooler)

on the turbo z06 I have I go from 600 rwhp at 13 psi to 800 rwhp at 17 psi on meth with pump gas probably a bit more boost would produce more but I run out of nerve at 800
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #56
FU

The alc./water inj. should work very nice when tuned into the new Mega-Raptor engine management system.

A good progressive shot of NO2 would be nice with the Mega-Raptor system too

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #57
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
The alc./water inj. should work very nice when tuned into the new Mega-Raptor engine management system.

A good progressive shot of NO2 would be nice with the Mega-Raptor system too
Man I am excited about your endeavors.............

I have scheduled a dyno run for next Saturday the 2nd of Feb.

Test #1. Baseline run without Water\Meth
Test #2. Then run a 50\50 mix Water and Meth
Test #3. Then a 75%Meth\ 25% water

I'll post my results next Sunday, good or bad, then you decide for yourself whether it is worth it..