ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-20-2011   #41
USAFPILOT

Default Re: SW headers on the Way!

The good news is the SW long tube headers with cats bolt right up to the B&B Xpipe cutback with no modification.

I am a little disappointed the SW mid pipes leaving the cats for the X-Pipe did not have the tabs on them that anchor to those springs underneath like B&B and Corsa put on there for us. I guess I can have them cut off the B&B pipes and welded on to the SW pipes, maybe.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #42
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
Who has the gaskets?

Also, how much of the heat shielding goes back up? So far I have had to remove it all.
Mine aren't coated either, my friend. They're buried anyway on a ZR-1, so the esthetic advantage is moot. And, coated or not, they get very hot! (read: I wouldn't disregard taking precautions to protect wires, etc. in close proximity, regardless if they're coated or not.)

There is a shield that snuggles up to the frame on either side. I ran my O2 wires behind them, through some 3/8" convoluted wire harness tubing. I bought some anchors for said tubing and mounted them to keep the tubing from slipping out (drilled some small holes in the shields - the anchors snap right in place)

For stuff that couldn't be routed under the shields, I used some heat shield tape from a local speed shop to protect the clutch lines, etc. It is a flexible tape with a foil exterior. It has a Velcro strip along the inside edge so you can wrap it around stuff and then seal the edges with the Velcro. (I check it every time I'm under there to change oil or whatever. So far it is working as advertised.)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #43
XfireZ51

If done correctly, the coating should be applied both inside and outside of the headers. And the purpose is to retain as much heat in the exhaust as possible
maintaining velocity. Keeping the engine bay cooler is another benefit but not the primary purpose.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #44
pantera1683

Living in Texas, you will find the headers, even coated, will provide a tremendous amount of heat to the engine compartment especially in the summer. My solution was to cover the headers with a set of thermal blankets. They worked so well that I bought a set for my Allante.

Here is the set I used: http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/14003/10002/-1
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #45
USAFPILOT

blanket thing looks good.
Old 11-21-2011   #46
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
If done correctly, the coating should be applied both inside and outside of the headers. And the purpose is to retain as much heat in the exhaust as possible
maintaining velocity. Keeping the engine bay cooler is another benefit but not the primary purpose.
One basic axiom of flow dynamics of gas or liquid (in a tube) is that velocity is directly proportional to pressure: the higher the pressure the higher the velocity.

Well, if velocity is the goal, then higher pressure in the header tubes ... is desirable, whether it is a function of thermal dynamics or smaller tubes...higher pressure is desirable, yes? I doan theeenk soooo!

And, then there is these questions:

If pressure (velocity) is the goal, is ceramic coating the most cost effective way to get it?
How effective really is the coating in preserving heat in exhaust gas that is traveling 2-3 feet at 100-200 mph?
Wouldn't any discussion regarding claimed virtues of ceramic coatings as a practical matter have to also include alternatives via tubing length and diameter?

Naaah...Preserving heat to effectively preserve (back) pressure - is prolly NOT a selling point; certainly not a cost effective way, at least. Looks and to some extent, heat radiation, are more practical benefits, methinks.

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 11-21-2011   #47
XfireZ51

Paul,

"Ceramic exhaust coatings are gaining popularity with performance car tuners. We will take a look at why so many people are getting ceramic coatings applied to their exhausts.
In very general terms cooler air means greater potential engine power. We can assert this because it follows that the cooler the under bonnet temperature is the cooler the air intake charge will be. Cool air carries more oxygen so allows more fuel to burned. Even in cars where cold air is fed directly from the outside of the car into the intake you will still experience a minor power loss as heat is conducted through the intake system to the intake charge.

It is also true that hot exhaust gases flow more quickly than cooler gases. Indeed a cooling of the exhaust can cause dramatic alterations to the flow characteristics of the engine.
The aim then is to trap all this heat in the exhaust at least until the pipes clear the engine bay. This has the added benefit that the catalyst gets up to temperature more quickly and start working efficiently.
Why choose ceramic then? Well ceramic is a very poor conductor of heat and is therefore a great insulator. It can be bonded to the exhaust permenantly, looks much better than a bare metal pipe and will help the exhaust to resist corrosion."
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #48
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
And the purpose is to retain as much heat in the exhaust as possible
Dom,

From a thermal dynamics perspective, pressure = velocity. PRESSURE is not a virtue, when it relates to optimizing the LT5 headers, IMO.

As for thermal isolation benefits as they apply to the ZR-1 Mebby.

They're all but hidden on the ZR-1...scratch aesthetic advantage.

Cost? It helps to own a pizza joint!!

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 11-21-2011   #49
USAFPILOT

Lets put aside the thermal dynamics discussion for one post...

I finished the install and went for my first drive and I have to say, all of the money blood and sweat was worth the result. It is a whole new car to me.

What a difference. I had a little whiff of smoke the first time I cranked it, and am wondering if there is a leak in those dang air tubes, not sure yet. It went away though and all is fine after a long spirited drive.

Thanks for all the advice along the way.
Old 11-21-2011   #50
USAFPILOT

final question...how do you get the springs off the hangar where the resonator would be? Until I have the tabs welded on they are just turned upside down and wedged against the tunnel.