ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 11-12-2018   #31
Mystic ZR-1

Default Re: 93 for $14k on the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Was just thinking that some means to relate that the car meets an operational standard recognized by the Registry would help separate our cars from the "typical" Z on the market.
I know that when I see a ZR-1 for sale that is not from a Registry member my first thoughts are that the typical issues probably have not been addressed. In my mind I automatically deduct several thousand dollars because of the unknown. This may or may not apply to the particular car, but if unknown, it must be factored in.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and offer to work on putting something together if there is support for such an effort.
If so, I'll go for it, but will need a lot of input from the membership as the project progresses.
We could call it "The ZR-1 Net Registry Premium"
If we all got together we could control the ZR-1 market!
Kinda like the Robber Barons (Rockefeller, Vanderbilt etc)!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018   #32
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossgn49u View Post
Weren't the Polo Green cars subject to some clear coat peeling, or is that just the earlier cars?
Yes!! The paint on my Polo green is insanely bad, clear coat peeling....glad to know it was an issue with Polo green cars.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018   #33
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
We could call it "The ZR-1 Net Registry Premium"
If we all got together we could control the ZR-1 market!
Kinda like the Robber Barons (Rockefeller, Vanderbilt etc)!
I like it!!
My thoughts are that by having an operational standard recognized by a legitimate group of knowledgeable enthusiasts, the variance in value of different ZR-1's is legitimate.
I do not propose to suggest a particular price point, only to show the added value of a "correct" car versus the "typical".
Since we have sort of hi-jacked this thread, I will start a new one in the "general discussion" section and see what kind of response I receive.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #34
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Hello. I'm the guy that bought it. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I should get to it shortly. I can let you know what it needed. He actually already tried the fuel pumps he said. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I already have another ZR1, it's a 1991 Quasar blue. They are both in about the same condition (driver / local car show quality) I really only need one, which one do you guys think would be a better investment long-term? I like the Quasar blue color a lot better, but I realize the 93 model is rarer. I'm a bit of a car collector, I have a C1,C3, and C5 as well. I'll post some pics. The 62 will be for sale shortly if anyone is interested.
Curious to know if you had a chance to dig into it yet and what you found if you did! Post up some pics too!!!
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018   #35
silvergate

Hello.. I've been busy, but was able to look at it briefly today. Both fuel pumps are working. Both have a 5 amp draw. Fuel pressure without running is around 38 and seems to hold pressure after key is turned off. I tested both pumps, without running and same result. Started vehicle, pressure at idle is about 38, took vacuum off regulator, no fuel in line, seems like regulator is ok, pressure goes to about 48. Put it back on, fuel pressure will move with vacuum at throttle between 38 and 48. Once it starts to warm, fuel pressure starts dropping, and throttle no longer moves the pressure. Kept falling even into the 20s but car was getting warm, realized the fan is not turning on, so I shut it down. My next step was to put a jumper to the fuel pump test line and see if the other pump will raise the pressure. But now I need to figure out the fan problem first. The a/c fan doesnt kick on either even when a/c is turned on. I jumped it at the OBD1 and they kick on just fine. So I havent started digging into that yet. I pulled the codes, only 1 code showed up H64, right O2 lean, I'm guessing that could be a result of low fuel pressure. Should have some time this weekend to work on it a little more. The seller stated he tried new fuel pumps but it made it worse? So he put the old ones back in, he also put a new fuel filter, and he did move the TPS around a bit? Any advice would be appreciated it. Thanks!
silvergate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018   #36
TexasZR1

Still sounds like pumps could be the issue. I could easily mis-speak here, because I'm NOT familiar with ZR1s, but im very familiar with 90s gm.

Check fuel pump wiring resisitivity and continuity with ground. Check fuel pump relays. Ensure you're getting good power even after warmed. If all those are good, it seems like the winding of the pump could be shorting when warm (i.e. pump failing).

Sounds like the regulator is good, but then again, i had a 1991 camaro that the failing regulator would go soft and not keep good pressure after warm up (intermittent / random pressure drop). Not sure how you would test in your case. Check the manual for regulator diagnosis steps?
TexasZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018   #37
efnfast

Pretty sure we run at 48 psi.
Could be fuel pumps, there are two.
Fuel filter.
The clips holding the fuel lines to the fuel pumps have been known to fail.
Regulator.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018   #38
G8nightman

Buy two new pumps with assembly to be on the safe side at idle I also think that it should be 48psi

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018   #39
Ccmano

Fuel pressure you report is low. Should be mid 40’s at idle and 50+ at WOT (Zero vacuum). The following thread has the correct procedure for checking the pumps at post 16. The amp draw test is the most telling.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=182376

There is also a diagnostic procedure in the FSM at section 6E3 Chart A7 for vin J.

The loss of pressure could also indicate a bad pressure check valve or issues with the hoses (and clamps) or the “Y” connector (cracked) at the pumps.
H

90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 11-23-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018   #40
djhome23

This is #136 of 448 1993 ZR1. Always cool to hear what cars came before and after the one you own. I have the 1993 ZR1 #135 - Torch RED/Torch RED.
1993 - ZR1 #135
djhome23 is offline   Reply With Quote