ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-23-2014   #31
mike100

Default Re: Headers Installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post

You can take the manifolds off without the removal of those parts, but it should be easier now. Youre gonna have to loose the engine off the mounts and raise it up a couple of inches.
BTW, I could use one of those rubber T's and maybe those 2 1-way air injection valves if you want to trade for something.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #32
Schrade

Thanks Darby

Standards? Hmmm... Not sure if 'Schrade', and 'standards' should be used in the same sentence there, but...

How many ex man bolts did you find NOT installed? Was there an OEM spec for NOT installed bolts? I have 5 empty holes so far, and someone said something about some bolts missing. (from the car's PO's? Or OEM build?)

Anyone with OBX's know if fabbing a dipstick bracket is the best option like 4-cam's, with SW hardware???

I've just unloaded $145 for swivel head/gear wrenches NOT counting a first set of Kobalts 8 pc metric for $94 (just got 7pc @Advance for $69...).

Quote:
I have a stick of 304 – 3/8 OD Stainless tube that I have left over from my installation. What a bit@# to bend.
I AM going to connect the AIR fitting here Darby - is metal tube the only option? If so, send what you've got, I can forward $ PP or M/O, unless you're looking for exhaust or tranny hardware or some other stuff, that I'll probably give away here - PM @ me here.

PM me an address there Mike, and which parts you're needing.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 04-23-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #33
efnfast

I bought a dipstick relocation bracket from Paul, the guys that installed my OBX headers really appreciated it.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #34
4-cam

Hmmm Raise the engine might have been the part I missed. I didnt but my hands did bleed a lot and the DR side came out real hard.

A far as the air tubes go I supposed you could pipe in some kind of flex. Some have cut the old ones off the old manifolds and used them. I saw on Marc H website how he did it and copied the Idea. Pic on how I did mine. Had to teach myself how to tig weld again after 30 yrs. Kinda scary being a rookie welder and burning on a set of $900 headers. These have the AIR positioned in the stock location. The crossover tube between L & R side needed a little massage to fit correctly.

If you need the tube its yours. PM the address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-19 18.29.23.jpg (182.1 KB, 15 views)
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 04-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #35
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
Hmmm Raise the engine might have been the part I missed. I didnt but my hands did bleed a lot and the DR side came out real hard.

A far as the air tubes go I supposed you could pipe in some kind of flex. Some have cut the old ones off the old manifolds and used them. I saw on Marc H website how he did it and copied the Idea. Pic on how I did mine. Had to teach myself how to tig weld again after 30 yrs. Kinda scary being a rookie welder and burning on a set of $900 headers.

If you need the tube its yours. PM the address.
Welding there Darby???

Will a compression fitting cut it?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #36
efnfast

We also shimmed the motor mounts to lift the engine enough so the headers didn't rub on the steering column.
Old 04-23-2014   #37
4-cam

You could use a compression fitting to fasten the tubes but you would stilll need some threads to screw it into.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 04-23-2014   #38
efnfast

My install guys fabed up an extention for the O2 sensor. Someone makes one, wish I knew in advance.
Old 04-23-2014   #39
carter200

I think Haibeck has the extensions.....

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #40
4-cam

Seems like every time I touch an electrical connector on my Z I break it. Many tools out there to remove the pins on these. This is the one I got. I was able to find all connectors from Rockauto or napa. Check your knock sensor connector while your under there. Mine fell apart when I touched it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-23 19.13.22.jpg (133.3 KB, 131 views)
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic