ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-08-2012   #291
VetteMed

Default Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

Cliff, that's a good point. The u-joints are about a year old, less than 10k miles on them...

However, at this point, I'm not going to dwell on the cause, only the fact that the problem is now apparently 90% improved. The lack of the hood visibly and audibly rattling, is a huge step in the right direction
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #292
VetteMed

Amen to that. Kurt deserves lots of kudos for making this deal available.
Old 04-09-2012   #293
VetteMed

Update: Approximately 1200 miles on the new motor.

I was still experiencing a rough idle, so I sent the injectors off to FIC for inspection. Jon said they were dirty, but functioning well. Cleaned and returned (no charge!).

Reinstalled the injectors, unfortunately no real improvement in idle. Also had spotty cruise control function. This culminated in the day where I had 3 backfires upon startup, out of about 6 or 8 startups that day. Also only had airflow through the defog ducts. Off with the plenum once more.

Found the large diameter vacuum hose disconnected from the check valve. This supplies vacuum to the HVAC system and the cruise control system. Reconnected, along with a ziptie and some silicone adhesive.

Still had that nagging rough idle... until I realized the sloppy fit of the brake booster hose at the plenum nipple. I fit a hose clamp there, snugged it down, and voila, smooth idle!

I've also done some interior work. Today's project was a new headliner, since the original was sagging and hitting my head.

Removed the original:

Simple green, Goo-Gone, a scraper, and some good ol' elbow grease, to remove the residual adhesive:

Clean and ready for new liner:

continued....
Old 04-09-2012   #294
VetteMed

EDIT 5-21-2012: After temps hit 90 degrees or so, the headliner fell. Probably a combination of heavy material, and inadequate adhesive. The below procedure may still be valid with a different adhesive, or a lighter material.

I went to the fabric store and picked out a yard of light gray vinyl, pretty close to the gray interior color. Around $16 for the material. I used the original headliner fabric as a pattern to mark and cut the vinyl, leaving a little extra on all sides:

Test fitting:

All trimmed up to fit without wrinkles:

Masked off edges to prevent adhesive overspray:

continued...

Last edited by VetteMed; 05-21-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2012   #295
VetteMed

Headliner adhesive:

Smoothed out with roller:

It is important to only apply adhesive up to about 1" from the edges. This allows for fine-tuning the fit under the trim. If adhesive is applied all the way to the edge, you'll never tuck the material under the trim.

Finished product, after tucking edges under the trim:

It's not "perfect", but given that it's not something that is really viewed with scrutiny by driver or passenger, it'll do for now. I want to see how my application technique holds up over time in the florida heat, before I decide to amend some of my errors (a few areas were trimmed too short, and there's a bubble here and there).

Last edited by VetteMed; 04-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2012   #296
VetteMed

Another project I've been working on lately, is to integrate a concealed display for the Valentine 1 radar detector. I'm about 90% happy with this outcome, I think I need to do a little more fine sanding on the cut edges of the filler plate to be truly satisfied with the final product. Crummy pic, but it's dark in the garage now.

Last edited by VetteMed; 04-09-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2012   #297
VetteMed

Also, I've been troubleshooting the FX3 / Selective Ride Control system. I found a note in the FSM that the gear should extend above the rim of the actuator cup by 5mm minimum. A few of mine were much less than that, so I am hoping that correcting this situation will result in fewer codes over time.

I had previously read a post either here or on the other forum, where someone had mentioned needing a flat washer above the upper rubber bushing, to prevent their shock rod gear from extending too far into the actuator gear. My situation was the exact opposite.

I've also installed an x-brace from a C4 convertible. I'm very impressed with the improvement it made in the overall stiffness of the car. Many of the rattles and shakes have disappeared, and the car feels more stable overall. I haven't driven it with the top off yet, but I am anticipating an improvement there as well.

Last edited by VetteMed; 04-09-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2012   #298
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Wow love that integration!!!

I would love to do that with my Z but where do you put the head unit?

I hit my display in the rear view mirror in the BMW. (with help from Yun)

Also love the headliner install!!!!! Impressive!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #299
VetteMed

David, thanks!!

The headunit hangs out near the rear-view mirror, mostly out of sight. Of course, this will reduce the effective range with a stock windshield most likely.
Old 04-09-2012   #300
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
David, thanks!!

The headunit hangs out near the rear-view mirror, mostly out of sight. Of course, this will reduce the effective range with a stock windshield most likely.

Mine rides the hump behind the IP and points out the solar cutout (there is a flat spot there) and I carry an extra hat to conceal if officer friendly shows up. I dont like my concealed display location. It would be nice if we could cut out a portion of the DIC and insert from the backside of the cover.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote