ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-23-2009   #21
UKZR1

Default Re: Dodge Viper vs ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I would love to have a Testarossa parked next to the Z in the garage but they are still up there in price. So the viper would be my second choice. And I'm sure there are plenty of viper forums that would be full of knowledge on making repairs just like this forum has been.
I like the viper too and would like a new viper next to my vette. I think it's one of the best looking convertables out there. As for the Testarossa I'm with you on that but after seeing a friends friends 512 I'd rather have that. Looks about the same just larger wheels and more up to date.
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #22
rhipsher

Talking Re: Dodge Viper vs ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKZR1 View Post
I like the viper too and would like a new viper next to my vette. I think it's one of the best looking convertables out there. As for the Testarossa I'm with you on that but after seeing a friends friends 512 I'd rather have that. Looks about the same just larger wheels and more up to date.
Oh yeah! The 512 is even better. Ever since I saw one on Miami Vice I've wanted one ever since. Back in the days when real men wore pastels and white flip flops. Hehehehe! A Viper would a close second.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #23
LGAFF

Ferrari=$65K rust bucket..they have issues on some models from that era
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #24
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Ferrari=$65K rust bucket..they have issues on some models from that era
I don't think there's much on them to rust. But I have heard you have to let them warm up for at least 20 minutes before driving them otherwise you run the risk of blowing head gaskets. And the shifter can give you fits going into gear. But I don't care I still want one. I'd be wrenching on it just like my Z when something breaks. Wouldn't bother me one bit.
Old 07-23-2009   #25
UKZR1

A friends Diablo has just been in to have it's doors sorted and resprayed. Cost thousands and will need doing again in the future. The steel and ally react and blister the paint apparently.
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #26
flyin ryan

Question Re: Dodge Viper vs ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I wouldn't mind one but not as a replacement to my Z.
I love my Z!
However, if I can afford another car, my preference would be 96 or 97 GTS in blue metallic with white stripe. Those cars sort of remind me of Harley.
Who's Harley .
Old 07-23-2009   #27
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Who's Harley .
Davidson.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #28
flyin ryan

Buddy/Customer of mine has a 96 GTS, Blue w/White stripes, 6000 miles, it's a decent looking car. Has that look the comes to mind when you think of a Viper, sort of timeless, ya' know? He runs it a little on the ¼ mile up here at 2200 FT. altitude, usually more like 3500-4500 corrected, bone stock including tires except for a Hurst short throw shifter, it can/has run 12.6's, hard to be able to compete with that. To be fair though our cars are not ¼ mile terror's, from 660 FT. on...well that's a different story, as you all on here know. I like the fact the exhaust comes out the back on his 96 as opposed to the newer one's that have side exit exhaust. Funny how the new ones have a conventional opening hood too, never understood that dumb rear lift ½ open style . Actually another Customer of mine has a newer one, 2002/2003...something like that, I can never seem to remember . Yellow w/Black stripes, Bumble Bee . These two Viper guys are always surprised at the creature comforts in my Zee's, even my 90! The fellow with the newer Viper doesn't even have power seats & the lumbar control is a black egg you have to pump up manually with your hand...nice . Again it's a cool car in it's own right, but a little raw.
Old 07-23-2009   #29
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Buddy/Customer of mine has a 96 GTS, Blue w/White stripes, 6000 miles, it's a decent looking car. Has that look the comes to mind when you think of a Viper, sort of timeless, ya' know? He runs it a little on the ¼ mile up here at 2200 FT. altitude, usually more like 3500-4500 corrected, bone stock including tires except for a Hurst short throw shifter, it can/has run 12.6's, hard to be able to compete with that. To be fair though our cars are not ¼ mile terror's, from 660 FT. on...well that's a different story, as you all on here know. I like the fact the exhaust comes out the back on his 96 as opposed to the newer one's that have side exit exhaust. Funny how the new ones have a conventional opening hood too, never understood that dumb rear lift ½ open style . Actually another Customer of mine has a newer one, 2002/2003...something like that, I can never seem to remember . Yellow w/Black stripes, Bumble Bee . These two Viper guys are always surprised at the creature comforts in my Zee's, even my 90! The fellow with the newer Viper doesn't even have power seats & the lumbar control is a black egg you have to pump up manually with your hand...nice . Again it's a cool car in it's own right, but a little raw.
I always thought that the Lotus Elise was a cool looking car to. But the more I researched them the more I realized that the LT-5 has nothing in common with them at all. Its in name only. Their engines are made by Toyota and only put out 190hp. And I could have two used vipers or two ZR-1's for the price of a Lotus Elise.
Old 07-23-2009   #30
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I always thought that the Lotus Elise was a cool looking car to. But the more I researched them the more I realized that the LT-5 has nothing in common with them at all. Its in name only. Their engines are made by Toyota and only put out 190hp. And I could have two used vipers or two ZR-1's for the price of a Lotus Elise.
Actually after ZR-1 production had stopped and Lotus left GM, Lotus decided Turbo 4 was holding back their Esprit model. There was an article in either Road & Track or Car & Driver that Lotus approached GM over purchasing LT5s for use in their Esprit. When GM flat out turned it down, so the story goes, Lotus designed their flat crank V8 (I think it was 4.4 liter and around 1998).
Had GM gone along with Lotus we may have seen LT5 developed to the next stage.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote