ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-08-2020   #21
Mystic ZR-1

Default Re: Nice car for that low mileage aficionado...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Sold for $47,250. Not bad for a 1990. Somebody got a really clean low mile car. I hope they will drive and enjoy it.
H
The only driving that car will see is on and off a trailer...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020   #22
mpiecyk

I have a good feeling that the new owner is going for the Triple Crown @ the MCACN show in the near future this low mileage ZR-1 will not be driven it will be a trailer Queen following the show circuit.
Actually redoing all the NCRS Cert.to the National level existing Certs.are out dated.
Do the Bloomington Gold all the way to the Benchmark, car will not have a problem.
Then follow up with the Triple Crown @ The MCACN show.
Last but not least a visit to Barrett Jackson.
It's just my 2 cents worth.
mpiecyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020   #23
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiecyk View Post
I have a good feeling that the new owner is going for the Triple Crown @ the MCACN show in the near future this low mileage ZR-1 will not be driven it will be a trailer Queen following the show circuit.
Actually redoing all the NCRS Cert.to the National level existing Certs.are out dated.
Do the Bloomington Gold all the way to the Benchmark, car will not have a problem.
Then follow up with the Triple Crown @ The MCACN show.
Last but not least a visit to Barrett Jackson.
It's just my 2 cents worth.
All things that will establish and raise it's value as time goes by, which by the way helps all of these cars, yes even the clapped out ones.
The huge advantage of 81 and newer, is the ability to confirm a car's authenticity with window sticker and more importantly build sheets, which are easy to obtain through the NCM.
Older series Corvettes were not ALWAYS expensive. As more and more cars were restored and validated through judging, values of those cars began to rise.
While occasionally one might find a low mile original C-1 through C-3, it was nowhere near the number of ZR-1's that still can be found in that condition. This has pushed down on the value escalation, but the low mile cars will thin out with time, and that barrier will soften.
If even 10% of them remain ultra low mile, you are talking a pool of approx 700 cars as Survivors that are perfect. That is not and never will be a big number.
When today's forty something crowd becomes the sixty something crowd, they will be drawn to these trailer queen beauties just as earlier generations of enthusiasts have been drawn to the earlier cars.
Whatever.
The over-arching theme is these cars have hit new highs at auctions in 2020.
The red one at BJ in January, and now this one.
No doubt owning one now will have cost less than they will cost as time continues to pass.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020   #24
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
If the buyer paid 47k for a 320 mile car to drive it, they’re an idiot. They could have bought a 10k mile car for 22k...
Where are these 10k mike cars for $22k? I’ve been hunting and I haven’t seen any.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020   #25
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Where are these 10k mike cars for $22k? I’ve been hunting and I haven’t seen any.
And you wont find any either..... I looked for a year or so at ZR-1's and for 10 grand there were a couple and I mean maybe 2 that needed pretty much everything and were high miles... The sweet spot of these cars price wise, for a very nice driver like mine is between $15-20K.... Russ has a great one for $15k (the yellow car), FU has a nice one (blue one) Theres a real sweet red 90 on the forum for $21k, maybe negotable to $19-20.... I would say from what I see offered the nice 30-50k mile cars sit right around $16k-19k Anyway, a 10k mile car is going to need 3 grand worth of maintenance to be as good a driver as the 40k mile driver..... just my opinion and observations over the last 18 years of C4 & ZR-1 ownership...
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020   #26
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvZ View Post
And you wont find any either..... I looked for a year or so at ZR-1's and for 10 grand there were a couple and I mean maybe 2 that needed pretty much everything and were high miles... The sweet spot of these cars price wise, for a very nice driver like mine is between $15-20K.... Russ has a great one for $15k (the yellow car), FU has a nice one (blue one) Theres a real sweet red 90 on the forum for $21k, maybe negotable to $19-20.... I would say from what I see offered the nice 30-50k mile cars sit right around $16k-19k Anyway, a 10k mile car is going to need 3 grand worth of maintenance to be as good a driver as the 40k mile driver..... just my opinion and observations over the last 18 years of C4 & ZR-1 ownership...
Thanks
I’ve seen FUs car. Looks nice, but 90,000 miles spooks me a bit. Not even from a reliability perspective, but rather resale. I don’t know where the mileage line is that trashes resale value. 50,000? 100,000?

Just so many low mileage ZR-1s out there, that it’s hard to want to go for a higher mileage one.
Old 05-10-2020   #27
32valvZ

Quote:
Thanks
I’ve seen FUs car. Looks nice, but 90,000 miles spooks me a bit. Not even from a reliability perspective, but rather resale. I don’t know where the mileage line is that trashes resale value. 50,000? 100,000?

Just so many low mileage ZR-1s out there, that it’s hard to want to go for a higher mileage one.
I would agree, there are allot of lower mile cars available... I think with FU's car, youre paying for color combo and its a later car also... (405 hp version)... also, its a known member with a known car..... Here nor there,...

As far as resale value... its all going to depend on maintenance and condition. This advice has been mentioned to you in other posts... so I wont go into it again.

If you buy a 30k mile car for say $17k... in 2 years, Id say you could probably get the same $17k with a few more miles on it, but with some tasteful mods done like headers maybe or say rear gears.... The ZR-1 is one of the few cars Ive seen where modifications, if done nicely with quality parts , doesnt really hurt value for a driver quality car.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #28
spork2367

Quote:
Please keep in mind, you aren't going to get a totally sorted 10,000 mile car for 22k. It's going to be one passed down after a death in the family, hasn't run for 15 years, and needs all the standard items and maybe has mediocre paint.

Are they out there? Yes. At one point a year or two ago I basically went out and found every ZR-1 for sale on the internet in an easy to find location. Facebook, craigslist, ebay, hemmings, etc. At any given time there are at least 100 ZR-1's for sale that can be easily tracked down.

Coming on to a forum full of people who think these cars should be worth way more than they are isn't going to find you the best deal on a car. Not only that, if it's such a great deal, someone is going to buy it for themself. And unless you're paying a finders fee, I don't know why anyone is going to put a bunch of leg work into tracking a car down for someone else.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #29
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Please keep in mind, you aren't going to get a totally sorted 10,000 mile car for 22k. It's going to be one passed down after a death in the family, hasn't run for 15 years, and needs all the standard items and maybe has mediocre paint.

Are they out there? Yes. At one point a year or two ago I basically went out and found every ZR-1 for sale on the internet in an easy to find location. Facebook, craigslist, ebay, hemmings, etc. At any given time there are at least 100 ZR-1's for sale that can be easily tracked down.

Coming on to a forum full of people who think these cars should be worth way more than they are isn't going to find you the best deal on a car. Not only that, if it's such a great deal, someone is going to buy it for themself. And unless you're paying a finders fee, I don't know why anyone is going to put a bunch of leg work into tracking a car down for someone else.
Because I’m in Canada, and earn Canadian dollars, I’ve had to put a more aggressive cap on pricing then I would have otherwise done. I’ve gotta add 40% at least to the purchase price of any US car, before a have it in hand. So my goal was a mid mileage car, not aggressively modded, the maintenance issues addressed and a price in the low 20s. I’ve really found 2 cars that would meet that standard. And neither of which are perfect for me, but see decent candidates.

Finders fee? That’s not something that I’d be against.