ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-15-2005   #21
bobbyhi

Default Re: ZR-1....Lost in the past?

Well said Bryan.....even without the CAPS!!
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #22
RICHARD TILL

Hey WB9MCW, that was a good post. i`m going to read it about 5 more times so i get it down pat. my old 9o-zr1 wont win a car show. can`t compete with the low mileage pristine ones. its got 109k miles on it and still looks good enough to draw lots of questions. i wish i`d kept some the earlier cars like the 2 ss 69 chevelles, a 70 road runner or the 67 dodge r/t. thats history and the zr-1 is present, if it ever gets sold it`ll be by kinfolk after i`m gone. for the big rush, i go dragboat racing with a 496 cid chevy powered tunnel hull jet boat. i race it in ky. and around st. louis. it runs 10 sec. 1/4 mile, 104 mph. named underdog but it gets plenty respect. by the way, are you a ham? my dad was from 1955-1980 ......K5KMR......built his xmitr`s out of old military surplus. i sat in the shack many hours (listening) when i was a kid. guess i`ve typed too much now. see ya, 73`s........richard.........
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #23
WB9MCW

We have drag boat races at blarney island every thurs all summer long on the chain o lakes! beengoing there for 20 years... 4 cat's outboards, single carb, multi carb,and un limited(nos and or sc) mph in fly 1/8 mi are 80,90,100,and 110+ for last cat. pretty exciting and lots of eye candy on the island afterwords. here info and link to blarney isle site.

How It Began

Blarney Island is a legend on the Chain O'Lakes. Beginning in the 1900's when Jack O'Connor and Shorty Shobin wagered their businesses, to its current status as the Chain O'Lakes most recognizable landmark, Blarney Island has been the mainstay of attraction for over 100 years.

In the beginning, Blarney Island was a houseboat sitting on the edge of the Fox River owned by Jack O'Connor. Across from Blarney Island was Shorty Shobins place known as Rohema or more aptly known as "Shorty"s. It was no secret that the two were competing for the same business less then 100 yards away from each other. As one could imagine there were some heated feuds between the two. The feud came to a head one night over a high stake game of poker. As the game was coming to a conclusion, the stakes continued to become more risky.

The last hand Shorty and Jack wagered their businesses and Shorty came out on the short end. After that poker game folklore has it that Shorty took his life in the backroom of the bar. One night not long after Shorty's death, Jack O'Connor's house boat burned down forcing the original owner of Blarney Island to move his business over to Shorty's place.

Jack O'Connor continued to run his business over the years until he sold it in the 1930's to Jack Pigensor. In 1939, the Stratton Lock and Dam was put up in McHenry, which flooded the existing riverbanks. The Dam created what is now known as Grass Lake. Once the lake took hold it cut Blarney Island from any dry land access and made Blarney an official island.

Jack Pigensor would own Blarney Island until the 1950's when Ed Walters bought him out. Walters would also experience something extreme during his tenure as Blarney Island's owner when the whole bar was nearly destroyed in the spring thaw of 1952. Instead of cutting his losses and leaving everything behind, Walters decided to rebuild Blarney Island. Not wanting to lose all of the tangible evidence of the turn of the century business, Walters used pieces of the destroyed building to erect the new Blarney Island that spring.

Blarney Island would meet yet another owner a few years later when Bud Holtz bought it from Walters around 1963. Holtz bought Blarney Island after selling his own tavern in Antioch, IL, known as Bud's Tavern. He would own and operate Blarney Island for almost 9 years until he sold it to the Haley family in October of 1971.
The Legend Lives On

The Haley family would begin the process of expanding the business to accommodate more people and more activities. To make the Island more successful, the Haley's would start a shuttle service to and from shore in 1972. In 1975 "Nancy K. and the Associates" became the first band to ever play at Blarney Island. Then another first was in 1978 when Blarney Island held it very first Boat Race.

Over the years that the family owned the business, many members have held the role of General Manager/Owners. In 1988, one of the younger brothers, John Haley, bought out his remaining family member.

In 1992, Haley expanded to what is now the land base of operations for Blarney Island known as Port of Blarney. The Port of Blarney is a year 'round restaurant and during the summer is an active marina, plus the home to the Blarney Island's shuttle service.

In 2003, John Haley formed Blarney Enterprises, LLC to bring in partners to help manage and operate the business, with the promise to keep the history and the Island alive.

link is http://www.blarneyisland.com/

one of my friends is a 1/10 owner of the thing!!! part of the 2003 group!!!!

Been a Ham 33 years since 1972... gerat hobby.. if u go to my website I have pics of my station and antennas etc.

http://learning.ncsa.uiuc.edu/wads/ham/wb9mcw/

check out this mopar project!!!!!!!! time for wax patrol my best friends winter proj. fun 4 summer next year....WAX PATROL,,,WATCH OUT PUNK RUSTANK AND RICERS!!!lol

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/f...t=0#entry55559

great site too lots of vette race vids and race stories enjoy RT
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 12-17-2005 at 10:12 AM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #24
Patton

Default Oh the Humanity,.... A HEMI?!?!

Wadsworth,... I leave for a couple weeks and the LT-5 becomes a FREAKIN HEMI?!?! What the HELL are you doing man?....
Before I get to carried away, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

Okay onto business. The LT-5 is NOT a "HEMI" engine. The term "HEMI" refers to head design. On a HEMI motor, The combustion chamber on the head (not the pistons) are Hemispherical in shape. Back in the 50's it was a revolutionary design and produced WAY more power than the FLAThead design. One of the key advantages of the HEMI head versus the flathead engine is Surface area. Unnecessary surface area causes heat loss, fuel that is near the head walls in a flathead can be so much "cooler" than the middle of the chamber that it does not burn as efficiently. With a flat head, the amount of surface area relative to volume of the combustion chamber is large. In a HEMI engine, the surface area is much smaller than in a flat head, so less heat is lost and peak pressure can be higher. Its all about Thermal Efficiency. Oh and then there is the whole little fact about how a 4 valve hemi is damn near impossible. Because of its spherical nature the angles just don’t work out for the cams and it would be a connecting/push rod hellish nightmare to engineer. And even if you could do it, (nobody ever has) it sure as hell wouldn’t win any endurance races (hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge). In the past the HEMI allowed for much bigger valves to be used than the flathead design, until it dawned on somebody that making four smaller valves would actually give you more airflow than two bigger ones. That gave birth to the "Pentroof" combustion chamber that the LT-5 uses along with all other 4 valve engines today. The pentroof is much more efficient than the HEMI, i mean for christ sake in REQUIRES two spark plugs to even burn properly.
It is an older technology that is not the best anymore but it is warm in the hearts of every gear nut (even mine!) and actually competes very well with if not better than the other modern 2 valve designs thanks to Daimler Chrysler’s modern tweaks. And besides it just isn’t cool to pull along side someone and ask "You gotta a PENTROOF in that thing?"

So anyways,.... Getting to the point, stop putting that sloppy mopar badge on our shiny bowties. And I still love you.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2005   #25
Patton

Default Oh and By the Way!

JESUS THAT FREAKIN CHALLENGER LOOKS SOOOOO BAD ***!!!!!

You HAVE to gimmie more pictures!!!!!!!
I almost bought one a few years back,... it had the 442 or 440 something like that. A nice puke green old school color. Shoulda woulda, couldnt-a.

Ya, MORE PICS MAN!
Old 12-28-2005   #26
bobbyhi

I knew something has been missing for the last couple of weeks. Welcome back Patton!!
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #27
WB9MCW

Well Thnx For The Correction Mr P I Will Be Sure To Delight In Tellin All Dem Mobenz Jerks... Or Was That Benzpar... That We Have Better Than A "Hemi"...Hell We Got Ourselves A Dog Gone "Pentahood" And 5 Is Better Than 4 Or The Lousy 2 Der Dang Wussy Hemi's Have....right.... Plus We In Da Hood....
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #28
tomtom72

Welcome back Patton! Gingle bells to you & your family!!

Bryan...he who dies with the most toys wins! Man you sure do have some nice ones and so do your friends! Must be very entertaining hang'in with you guys! Hey Bryan, what's better than owning a boat?...hav'in a friend that owns a boat!
I made the same mistake a few times about the Hemi thing because people look at the plugs and ask..."is that a hemi?" I used to say .."well, kind of...but not really." I always forget that penta-roof thing. I would just say the plug has no place else to go because of the 4 valves. Then I would either dazzle'em with the dual lobe profile and they would think this guy's baffling us with BS! If you start explaining this motor to some one who doesn't know much about it, it's a hoot to see the look on their faces! Sometimes they wanna know what yer smok'in & if they can have some!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #29
Patton

Whatsup Killers!

Bobby, hows it hanging?

Bryan, MOBENZ?,... I thought WTF? then BENZPAR and I was
HAhahahhaha that is great. Damn Hun.
COME ON MAN, WHERE ARE THE CHALLENGER PICS??!?!

Hey Tom,... You going nuts without your Z fixes yet? I feel really bad for you man.... its gotta suck. Me on the other hand am just lovin life, All "winter" means for me is a free cold air intake that actually works! I am really asking for a horrendous ticket soon, I seriously need to take it easy! But Its not my fault!! Its too tempting! The streets are wet and you can drift effortlessly at every corner with virtually no excessive tire wear or driveline stress... Ahhhhh the holidays are a merry time. I cant seem to keep her under 100mph lately, maybe its actually a good thing that my big butterflies dont open for the next couple months. God I love the LT5. jacked vacuum or not.
Old 01-03-2006   #30
tomtom72

Happy New Year guys!!!
Patton, you're gonna get a big ole ticket with those blasts & the drift'in!

As a matter of fact I had to use my Z for the last two weeks as my DD, thank goodness for no snow...just rain. Made life very interesting. The regular DD is F. O. R. D. We have mucho rain now & we all have a cruise planned for this weekend...a NYC run called the 5 borough tour & I'm signed up as long as it don't snow! I thank you for your sympathies though & I'm envious of you guys that live where the snow don't go!

Keep yer gas dry!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote