ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-09-2017   #21
DravinWolfPro

Default Re: Assistance would be appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Are you working closely with the ZR-1 base to clarify the info? Not to criticize but Lotus didn't build the motors. Please,before this goes to a final whatever the term is please make sure your info to 100% dead on accurate. If you have any questions you can feel free to ask one of us.
Jeff,
Thank you for catching that. I've been going over so many articles from so many years and try to crunch it all down into short burst to catch the imagination that sometimes the way the words are conveyed get blurred. You know the old saying "I wish I had a second pair of eyes"? Ha Ha yeah, that's an understatement in this adventure. What would be your recommendation on how I can write that post to best convey my message?
Appreciate the input.
Best Regards,
Stan

***UPDATE***

This is a direct quote from http://www.corvetteforum.com/article...-and-overview/

"The C4 ZR-1 Corvette began production in 1990. It featured an engine
built by Lotus, which was then a subsidiary of GM. This engine had an
aluminum block, four overhead camshafts, and 32 valves. The motor also
had an air-management system. This allowed a ?part throttle? condition
which provided the option of turning off eight of the 16 intake runners
and fuel injectors. A valet key allowed the driver to switch between
full and normal throttle. Normal throttle produced 200 horsepower; at
full throttle, the engine put out 375 horse power.

At the time, General Motors had nowhere to manufacture the C4 ZR-1
engine, so it was produced by an outside manufacturer, Mercury Marine,
in Stillwater, Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Lotus also helped develop the ZR-1’s suspension system. Known as the
FX3, this ?active suspension system? would soon become the foundation
for all optional Corvette suspension systems."

Last edited by DravinWolfPro; 01-09-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Add information
DravinWolfPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017   #22
DravinWolfPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepz View Post
You should come to the Gathering in May and ask us all in person.
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/event/...nstance_id=587

There's not a gathering for any other generation of car, and plus there's probably a lot of great footage opportunities there that you won't get anywhere else. (Not to mention you can see all the people who love these cars and ask them in person)
Marc,
That has actually already been brought up by Dempsey and if we can get the appropriate funding for this project then we will be there.

-Stan
Old 01-09-2017   #23
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravinWolfPro View Post
Jeff,
Thank you for catching that. I've been going over so many articles from so many years and try to crunch it all down into short burst to catch the imagination that sometimes the way the words are conveyed get blurred. You know the old saying "I wish I had a second pair of eyes"? Ha Ha yeah, that's an understatement in this adventure. What would be your recommendation on how I can write that post to best convey my message?
Appreciate the input.
Best Regards,
Stan

***UPDATE***

This is a direct quote from http://www.corvetteforum.com/article...-and-overview/

"The C4 ZR-1 Corvette began production in 1990. It featured an engine
built by Lotus, which was then a subsidiary of GM. This engine had an
aluminum block, four overhead camshafts, and 32 valves. The motor also
had an air-management system. This allowed a ?part throttle? condition
which provided the option of turning off eight of the 16 intake runners
and fuel injectors. A valet key allowed the driver to switch between
full and normal throttle. Normal throttle produced 200 horsepower; at
full throttle, the engine put out 375 horse power.

At the time, General Motors had nowhere to manufacture the C4 ZR-1
engine, so it was produced by an outside manufacturer, Mercury Marine,
in Stillwater, Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Lotus also helped develop the ZR-1’s suspension system. Known as the
FX3, this ?active suspension system? would soon become the foundation
for all optional Corvette suspension systems."
designed by lotus built by mercrusier
Old 01-09-2017   #24
DravinWolfPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
designed by lotus built by mercrusier
Thank you, Kevin. It'll be changed for accuracy.
Old 01-09-2017   #25
Vette Guy

Stan,

If you want to learn about the spark of all of this, I believe you need to follow back the lineage of the ZR-1 Net Registry, and those at Lotus, MerCruiser and GM who supported us for all these years. This means reading the "Heart of the Beast" by Anthony Young to learn how the ZR-1 came about against all odds, then find out what the organization dedicated to “Keeping the Legend Alive” actually does.

The heart and soul of the Registry is reflected in those enthusiasts who go out of their way to help one another "Keep the Legend Alive". The Registry was started by Dave Bright, who was passionate about the ZR-1, and left the community a legacy that continues in its 17th year. Today, our Board of Directors volunteer a considerable amount of time to continue this legacy - we love it and those who are a part of it, sharing our passion.

What keeps us great are all the groups of members around the world who get together to help one another with their ZR-1s. Based upon your location, I'd recommend you travel to Jim Voter or Rich Muhr’s garage where the WAZOO group comes together regularly to work on one another's ZR-1s - Why? It’s where the real passion for these ZR-1s resides. It’s the one-on-one relationships that are established and bonds made over turning wrenches together, and being part of something greater than just us and our car. We love these cars, and welcome those who own one to become a part of our group. Never does the WAZOO or any other group take a dime for their work, and their work spans the full range of ZR-1/LT5 maintenance and upgrades. There are similar groups around the country, and it’s amazing how tight of a group we have. That’s what makes the ZR-1 community special, separating us from all other models and generations of Corvette owners.

Setting the groundwork for all of this were many folks from GM, Lotus, and MerCruiser who made the improbable possible (All documented in the Heart of the Beast). Complementing their work, there were tuners such as John Lingenfelter/Graham Behan, Reeves Callaway and Doug Rippie who turned the ZR-1 into a world-class supercar, and ownership of one of these marvels remains very prestigious. The ZR-1's ability was proven on the racetrack by race owners such as Tommy Morrison, Doug Rippie, Kim Baker and Jim Van Dorn, and the limits of the LT5 continue to break all preexisting limits by folks like Pete P and Kevin C in Chicago, not to mention all the work that two of the long-standing tuners continue to do for the community - both Marc Haibeck and Corey Henderson have dedicated their lives to the ZR-1 for well over the past 15 years of my ZR-1 fellowship, and have established excellent reputations, whereas other tuners have come and gone.

If you want to get an idea of what our community has been like for the past 15+ years, the ZR-1 Net Registry has documented both the evolution of the ZR-1 and the people themselves over the years in our quarterly publications.

As stated, the Gathering, Corvettes at Carlisle and the TX BBQ are great places to meet the larger group, but the real heart of what we are all about likely takes place in a 2-car garage in Westminster, MD or Alexandria, VA; Chicago, IL; San Antonio, TX, etc.

Anything other than capturing what the 'fellowship' we have had in this community for so many years, would be a disservice to the ZR-1 community IMHO. Outside the areas that we live in, it's about seeing other members of the Registry who we may only see once or twice a year, and greeting them like a best friend - excited to see them and hear about not only their ZR-1 exploits, but about them. It's a big family that I'm proud to be a part of.

Regards,
Mark
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017   #26
gbrtng

The C4 ZR-1 is hardly a unicorn ...

And, who is Dempsey?
Old 01-09-2017   #27
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
The C4 ZR-1 is hardly a unicorn ...
I would strongly disagree
Old 01-09-2017   #28
efnfast

Wow Mark, very well said.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017   #29
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
Stan,

the real heart of what we are all about likely takes place in a 2-car garage in Westminster, MD or Alexandria, VA; Chicago, IL; San Antonio, TX, etc.

It's a big family that I'm proud to be a part of.

Regards,
Mark
Stan......click on my ID if you want to see photo details regarding my 5 ZR-1s and 1 1990 L98. For me the fun is working on the LT5....trouble is....once you refurbish the LT5 the darn thing never quits except one time on my 95 kept blowing the INJ1 fuse which I finally diagnosed and remedied

Click on my signature for further technical Details ALL FREE

Marc Haibeck and Jeffvette and a few others have taught me everything I know about the LT5 and that LT5 College/University was/is ALL FREE using e-mail and Text Messaging

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #30
DravinWolfPro

I want to take a second and thank everyone that took the time to share their stories. I encourage everyone to continue to share them in this thread as it reminds us all how solidarity builds community. All the information you have provided will be an excellent help in making this film something we can all be proud of. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be meeting a lot of you in person in Kentucky.
I have downloaded the zr1.net app on my phone and I'll be checking back on this thread through-out the story writing process for inspiration but as I'm sure all of you can imagine, there's a lot of work and research ahead.
Again if anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free to email me at thezr1doc@gmail.com. Yes, that's a different email address than before but it helps me stay organized :-)
Just from the last couple of days of communication, I can tell I wasn't mistaken about the passion you guys have not only for the car but the bond you all have because of it.

Tags
the zr1 documentary