ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-01-2013   #21
alwayscode390

Default Re: Non-stock wheels/brakes? What about spare tire?

3 1/2" adapter/spacer, DAMN!!!

I thought that was a great idea til I read that, I don't see a spacer on Mikes pic ... definitely not one that size ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #22
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

Actually a GTO should require a minor trim for fit also for those interested. It's 69.5mm I believe.

"Mike100" should be able to confirm the "minor" modification required. It might "force fit" being less than 1mm difference.
I attacked it with a die grinder until it fit. The lug pattern is very close, but not technically the same. The taper on the lug nuts centers it anyhow. When I took the pics, I test drove it for fun up to about 70 mph and it was in good balance and didn't come loose or anything.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #23
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
3 1/2" adapter/spacer, DAMN!!!

I thought that was a great idea til I read that, I don't see a spacer on Mikes pic ... definitely not one that size ---
that's only for the 6-piston C6 z06 caliper clearance- the C5 caliper is good to go with the 17" GTO spare alone. I will also mention that the abutment bracket adapter plates vary among brands and the exact location of the caliper can vary. even the gto spare can run into fitment issues and I trimmed .030 off of the caliper cooling fins on mine, but that is unusual for most.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #24
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I saw the post with the 3.25" adapters- that was ridiculous, but for a functional spare (and not a drag skinny), A 1/2" adapter on a CTS wheel would be ok considering it is your only option- you'de just have to have the extras tool and hardware on hand to bolt it up if you needed the use of the donut.
On the rears that wouldn't be an issue. Have 18mm spacers now and rear brakes are currently stock. However, the fronts are problematic since I am using stock wheels studs. Would need to measure to see if there's enough meat on the stud for lug nut with 1/2" spacer.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #25
alwayscode390

I think you need longer lugs to run a 1/2" spacer up front.

That's the combo I have with the Lingenfelter Alcoa brakes on my car ---
90' ZR-1 Corvette LPE #699
alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #26
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
I think you need longer lugs to run a 1/2" spacer up front.

That's the combo I have with the Lingenfelter Alcoa brakes on my car ---
Had longer wheel studs with the Brembo brakes because of thicker aluminum hat. Not necessary w Z06 brake discs.
Old 01-02-2013   #27
tf95ZR1

Been researching CTS 18 X 4 spare, 2008-2011.
Gold is cheaper and easier to find. ~$370.
I could hire somebody to hold the spindle and run
for that amount.
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #28
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Robert wheel poll got me to thinking. So now that I have upgraded to Z06 wheels and front brake calipers, what to do for potential flat? Staggered wheel sizes complicates things a bit more. Right now I've got a can of flat fix and compressor.
Anybody else w suggestions?
I got a '09+ CTS spare wheel/tire kit. The bolt pattern is correct, but the hub size on the wheel is slightly too small. It needs to be machined, but wouldn't be a big problem. I never machined it because I sold the car. But it appeared to have plenty of brake clearance, especially to the side, as the Baer 6-pot was pretty wide on my car. The CTS's have 21mm wheel nuts vs 19mm on the C4, so the C4 lug nut might not engage the entire shoulder on the wheel, but I believe it would hold it on there properly, especially just for spare-tire type driving.

They are 18" wheels, and I have heard of people with 2nd gen CTS-V's using them for skinnies. Those cars have bigger brakes than the C6Z does. They may use spacers for that, though.

The tire is also the right size for a stock C4Z, though it might be shorter in height than your C6Z wheel setup. If I recall, it is a 135/70-18 on an 18x4" aluminum 5-spoke wheel.

Edit: I only read the first post initially, it looks like Dave/WVZR-1 covered this.

FWIW, I picked my kit up on craigslist brand new (tire still unmounted) for like $150. That has the jack and whatnot too, not that it would work on the 'vette. At $350+ it is less compelling.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 01-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013   #29
WVZR-1

Hey Bob,

I've mostly got this figured out and believe I know everything required and the how to's. Actually I believe it can be accomplished with your style and that was my intention. Is yours with you? I don't believe the later wheel is needed and the later wheel isn't maybe that desired. To be practical if you used the late wheel the adapter would use 14mm wheel studs to mate to the spare. Everything would be a great fit.

All I need is the wheel to put to a car with the Z06 brakes with some washers to confirm the thickness of a spacer to do the fit. I believe it needs 30mm. I've seen the early one used on a CTS-V '11MY and I thought those calipers were equal to or greater than the mass of the Z06. There would need to be NO modifications to your wheel to do the fit test. Cut and dried I believe. In your post you seem to confirm the mass of the caliper.

I'll drop you an email. How many cars are in the vicinity with the C6Z06 calipers? Your wheel, a car and 40 minutes would confirm my thoughts.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #30
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
From CF -

The CTS spares require a 1/2 spacer/adapter.......the GTO spares require a 3 1/2 adapter. This to clear C6 - Z06 brakes. I lost the link and was going to post a couple snapshots. I thought I had read 3 1/4 previously for the GTO spare but couldn't find it the 2nd time. The spacer/adapter price would kill that idea!
WV,

R u talking about a CTS or V spare? If u need a 1/2" spacer, then the question becomes what about the stud length? Sounds like an adapter rather than a spacer could be necessary.

Tags
emergency, flat, spare tire