ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-23-2020   #21
Z51JEFF

Default Re: Anything unique about a LT-5 Alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Which spacers?
The problem is the wide spaced that goes between the fan/pulley doesn't seat against either surface-face or fan,backside pulley when tight. This was a rebuilt ALT no telling if it was rebuilt correctly,that came in the car,car also came with original. I rebuilt the original and put it in the car and rebuilt the ALT in question. I had the cases walnut blasted,new bearings and VR,it sure looks nice,if I can get the thing back together. One of my pet peeves is looking at a motor in something nice then you notice the ratty alternater. I'll figure it out. If somebody has one apart or will be blowing one apart could I get the thickness of the spacers and in what order?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020   #22
Erik

My alternator is out and sure has a nice little squeak when you spin it. The good part of a low mileage car? Most of expensive parts don't wear. The bad part? A ton of cheaper parts don't age well just sitting. Like the big PCV hoses under the plenum are as hard as rock. But all that stuff is getting replaced, and I'm enthusiastically supporting both Haibeck and Jerry's.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020   #23
ZR2

I have a local alternator and starter repair company here in Baltimore that have done several for me. Many cars and old 928 and a Ferrari Testarossa and a Lotus Esprit etc. so probably not an issue. They give 1 day turn around. generally $125 maybe $150 and I have had no issues. If you want to send to me I will help with it. I have received too much help in this and other forums not to help. Let me know. Mark Seifert
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020   #24
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
I have a local alternator and starter repair company here in Baltimore that have done several for me. Many cars and old 928 and a Ferrari Testarossa and a Lotus Esprit etc. so probably not an issue. They give 1 day turn around. generally $125 maybe $150 and I have had no issues. If you want to send to me I will help with it. I have received too much help in this and other forums not to help. Let me know. Mark Seifert
Hi Mark,
I am in Ellicott City. Which shop do you use in Baltimore? We need to get together during the next Wazoo maintenance day.
Thanks

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020   #25
ZR2

Charlie, The place is in Dundalk. It is P & H Electric. Really good and dependable and very economical. They have done lots for me.......maybe too many old cars......never too many. I was in Elliciott City this past Sunday. I live close to Hunt Valley, and was there for a Lotus Esprit photo shoot. I have a 98 V8 Esprit, so with the ZR1 you see the connection. Like I said once before I thiunk we met a long long time ago at a class I took at Hopkins. We had a speaker from your company speak to us about international marketing. It would have been 87 or 88. I need to get to the Wazoo so I can meet everyone. I have my plenum 1/2 off as I am replacing the coils......wires.......and injectors since I am in there!!!!
Old 09-25-2020   #26
dredgeguy

Thanks Mark, ah Dundalk, the town of many surprises. Will file this information away in case we need it in the future. Yup, when I worked for Ellicott Machine in Baltimore 1982-2002 I gave a few international marketing presentations to colleges and universities around our state. Had a blast telling stories about doing deals in Vietnam, Nigeria, Egypt....all are different angles to close the deal. Now working with DSC Dredge since 2002 and still doing the international dredge sales. If you are near Hunt Valley do you go to the cars and coffee at the mall on Saturday mornings? I am there most weekends and then at Burtonsville cars and coffee on Sunday morning. Sure we will meet up again shortly.

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 09-26-2020   #27
ZR2

I was going to Cars and Coffee at Hunt Valley. Not everyweek end but occasionally. I also have a Lotus Esprit V8, which I have had up there on occasion. It is the only one of course.
Old 09-27-2020   #28
dredgeguy

Great and I will be on the lookout for you at Hunt Valley. Bummer yesterday was a washout at least for me.

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 09-28-2020   #29
Erik

Got it over to the local alternator guru. Said the guts looked like new, but the bearing had a bad spot. All fixed up and about to go back in.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote