How about no political discussions? No opt out

We are a car club and not a political party

David
Absolutly.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
Old 09-19-2012   #22
efnfast

Default Re: Seriously guys, wtf...

I'll keep my mouth shut. Well, my fingers off the keyboard.
Old 09-20-2012   #23
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: Seriously guys, wtf...

I cannot remember a time when so many political threads were started in such a short period of time on the forum. I suspect it is a case of presidential politics and the election being right around the corner that has spurred the flurry of opposing political threads. That, and how polarized the country is at the moment is also likely reflected in the recent rash of political threads.

Maybe a temporary moratorium on political posts for say the next 60 days until the election cycle ends is in order. After that, I suspect we will return to our primary passion, that being the love of ZR-1's.

Any and all thoughts/opinions are encouraged.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910
Old 09-20-2012   #24
scottfab

This is a reasonable proposal but does not address root cause and that is the "New Posts" filter. A separate forum group called "Politics" would if the "New Posts" filter did not report on the "Politics" group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
I cannot remember a time when so many political threads were started in such a short period of time on the forum. I suspect it is a case of presidential politics and the election being right around the corner that has spurred the flurry of opposing political threads. That, and how polarized the country is at the moment is also likely reflected in the recent rash of political threads.

Maybe a temporary moratorium on political posts for say the next 60 days until the election cycle ends is in order. After that, I suspect we will return to our primary passion, that being the love of ZR-1's.

Any and all thoughts/opinions are encouraged.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
Old 09-20-2012   #25
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: Seriously guys, wtf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
This is a reasonable proposal but does not address root cause and that is the "New Posts" filter. A separate forum group called "Politics" would if the "New Posts" filter did not report on the "Politics" group.
While several measures could be taken to achieve the same purpose, keep in mind that we have never had a problem with political threads in the "Off Topic" section since it's inception. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of posters have not engaged in the current tit for tat thread battle.

It would be sad to think we need to permanently restrict ourselves from our own devices. Fortunately, even with the differing political points of view, most have remained respectful and civil, which is what we should expect from mature adults.
So to that end, I have no reason to believe that a temporary moratorium of political threads until after the upcoming election will not smooth out this bump in the road.
Lets see what others who care to render an opinion think.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Old 09-20-2012   #26
jcruz

I'd like to see a political free board There are plenty of other boards & sites around the Internet that serve such a purpose.

There are some gray areas, however. For example, what if someone posts a negative story about GM? The problem, sadly and unfortunately, is that government has permeated our society so that everything has a political element, even our cars.
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
Old 09-20-2012   #27
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
I'd like to see a political free board There are plenty of other boards & sites around the Internet that serve such a purpose.

There are some gray areas, however. For example, what if someone posts a negative story about GM? The problem, sadly and unfortunately, is that government has permeated our society so that everything has a political element, even our cars.
"political free board"
I like it.
And just like the 55mph at least when a GM topic comes up we all would know when we're creeping past 65mph.
AND the thread titles that we all have to read from "New Posts" would not get so COMPLETELY political.

Old 09-20-2012   #28
scottfab

Quote:
While several measures could be taken to achieve the same purpose, keep in mind that we have never had a problem with political threads in the "Off Topic" section since it's inception. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of posters have not engaged in the current tit for tat thread battle.

It would be sad to think we need to permanently restrict ourselves from our own devices. Fortunately, even with the differing political points of view, most have remained respectful and civil, which is what we should expect from mature adults.
So to that end, I have no reason to believe that a temporary moratorium of political threads until after the upcoming election will not smooth out this bump in the road.

I think there should be no DUII from mature adults and many other things.
I think many things we should do only takes a bad apple to push the cart over. This time the cart was repeatedly being push and I help push because I felt it the right thing to do. I was simply TIRED of seeing the one sided crap every time I logged in. You can call it tit for tat. I call it getting focus on the issue.

We have an opportunity to fix this not just shove it under the carpet and say it won't happen again. Because it WILL happen again after the election.
How many members would it take saying they don't want Politics on here? Give a number or %. To ignore what people are asking for and do "what's good for them" would be wrong. Either GET RID OF POLITICS or make it so the "New Posts" filter does not show them.

Sure even with the "guideline" of no Politics it will creep in sometimes just like a photo may not have the appropriate "G" string coverage based on someone's sensibilities. Be that as it may I submit the G string issue is let objectionable because one can see the title and know what it means without the title being upsetting.

Old 09-20-2012   #29
Kevin

Quote:

i don't want to see political discussion, I've asked you privately and I'll ask you publicly, if you continue to allow political discussion and it comes up when I hit "new posts" revoke my access to whatever part of the forum it's in
Old 09-20-2012   #30
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I think there should be no DUII from mature adults and many other things.
I think many things we should do only takes a bad apple to push the cart over. This time the cart was repeatedly being push and I help push because I felt it the right thing to do. I was simply TIRED of seeing the one sided crap every time I logged in. You can call it tit for tat. I call it getting focus on the issue.

We have an opportunity to fix this not just shove it under the carpet and say it won't happen again. Because it WILL happen again after the election.
How many members would it take saying they don't want Politics on here? Give a number or %. To ignore what people are asking for and do "what's good for them" would be wrong. Either GET RID OF POLITICS or make it so the "New Posts" filter does not show them.

Sure even with the "guideline" of no Politics it will creep in sometimes just like a photo may not have the appropriate "G" string coverage based on someone's sensibilities. Be that as it may I submit the G string issue is let objectionable because one can see the title and know what it means without the title being upsetting.
There is certainly some irony here. You are one of the few people who engaged in thread bombing of a political nature, then ask that politics be removed from the forum. Now your attempted explanation for this is that you were getting focus on the issue, as opposed to my general comment there was a tit for tat exchange going on by several posters.

My focus is to try and keep the forum running as smoothly as possible, while still allowing everyone to express their points of view(popular or not). In most instances this has been accomplished with politics being part of the discussion over the last 7 years, since the Off Topic section was created.
So while you believe politics will return once my suggestion of a moratorium is over, I suspect things will return to normal as the history of the board has proved.
I also would proffer for your consideration the possibility of greater strife saying politics is prohibited. Keep in mind that what is political to one person, might not be to another. Sure the obvious posts of Dem this, or Rep that, are easy enough to spot.
However Jcruz gives a perfect example of where criticism of GM can be viewed from a political lens. All it would take is genuine criticism of manufacturing defects that could be blamed on union workers, for some to press the report button as a forum rules violation. Then it winds up being the discretion of the first moderator who sees the report as to whether it is political or not, and what to do about it.

Still, with that said, I do not object to the notion of removing political thought from the Off Topic section if that is what the majority of forum goers want.
That is why I made a suggestion, and have asked others to give their viewpoints.

Last edited by Z Factor; 09-20-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammer
Closed Thread