ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 12-02-2015   #21
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: WTB an ECM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
DIYAutoTune.com (MegaSquirt) is now offering an LT5 Engine Management Computer.
I don't see it on their website
Is it still around $3k?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #22
Scrrem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
DIYAutoTune.com (MegaSquirt) is now offering an LT5 Engine Management Computer.
MegaSquirt fitted a car here in WAZOO land with an early test unit and it had issues interfacing with the security system and a few other bugs I can't remember at the moment. Hopefully they ironed everything out on their final product.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Scrrem; 12-03-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #23
RussMcB

I'm driving around with their unit now (for about a week). My engine is running great. I do think I've lost some dash functionality. I've noticed I'm not seeing my average MPG, maybe some other things. It's still early in my experience with it, so I'm sure there's more I'll learn about it. I lent my car to them for a few weeks so they had a test mule. I think they said there were a few things they have not yet been able to reverse-engineer. They thought they had come across some original GM/Lotus engineering documents but it turned out to be non-LT5.

Interestingly, even though I was plenty happy with my wired-open secondaries and MH chip, they convinced me to reinstall my secondaries system, because they said the car makes better low-end power with the secondaries operational, and they are able to better control the secondaries than the 1990's software. I'm trying to get back to the same chassis dyno I went to last time to compare to my last runs to know for sure if there is an improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS ECU.jpg (179.5 KB, 32 views)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]

Last edited by RussMcB; 12-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #24
-=Jeff=-

I am surprised those functions on the LCD are not working, I would have thought for the $$ on the ECM it was going to work with everything.. Still would like to know what the cost is for one..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #25
RussMcB

Sorry. I don't know the pricing. You could ask them here: https://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/contact_us.php

When I asked about the dash display functions they responded, "Some minor functions like trip computer will no longer work due to not having GM's serial protocols fully reverse engineered". He also said those don't affect the engine functions.

I agree it's not great to lose some original functionality. People will need to weigh the pros and cons to decide if it's worth it for them. It is pretty great to now have an option for when you just can't get a working GM ECU any longer, and it does offer way more options for custom tuning. Maybe by that time the dash functions will work (but I wouldn't hold my breath. That's probably not the best area for them to spend their time considering the market size).
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote