ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-06-2012   #21
John Boothby

Default Re: '96 Grand Sport Sold at Barrett Jackson

Remember there were only 1000 GS's and 6.934 ZR-1's. And they had the LT4, which was a strong motor (330hp). Not an LT5, but gettin up there!!
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #22
USAFPILOT

It was a Vert w/ the Red Seats...the Holy Grail for paint job fanatics. Another just like it sold for 80K a few years ago.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #23
avijay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tint View Post
That was my car, I bought it in 2000. Sold it @ Corvettes Carlisle. Boy I do miss it.
Such a small world, I miss it too, it's the one car I wish I never sold. Not to downplay the fun of the ZR-1, I think they are both great!!
1996 Grand Sport - sold
1999 C5 - sold
1969 Mustang Mach1 - sold
1991 ZR-1 - sold

2008 Z06 - current
avijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #24
MickeyD

Hey guys, as a newbie here, maybe I can offer a new perspective. Once the collector car market wakes up to our cars, and they will, I think we will see increased values. My guess is that maybe when they hit the 25 year mark we will see increased interest.

Just my 2 cents.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #25
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
Hey guys, as a newbie here, maybe I can offer a new perspective. Once the collector car market wakes up to our cars, and they will, I think we will see increased values. My guess is that maybe when they hit the 25 year mark we will see increased interest.

Just my 2 cents.
The counter argument is that new cars have so much power, why spend extra? Depreciation may be reduced, but that is the best I am hoping for.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #26
BigJohn

That would be cool, but the normal is about Forty years.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #27
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
It was a Vert w/ the Red Seats...the Holy Grail for paint job fanatics. Another just like it sold for 80K a few years ago.
"Different strokes for different folks". But I wonder what Jerry Palmer the original designer of the C4 thinks of this car? Electric blue, white stripe, red interior, black wheels, white top. All distinctive and attractive color choices, but on the same car? Really? I think they made it stand out way too much for what it was, and didn't give the unique ZR-1 any respect from the styling dept.

I apologize in advance for the dissenting opinion, but Is there anyone else that just can't understand the appeal of this combo?

I would have liked to see more styling cues to make the ZR-1 distinctive. Maybe a slight rise in the hood like the active suspension car. A deep Cadillac silver with matching powder coat on the LT5, a different gill panel, and cast metal ZR-1 emblems. Plus distinctive wheels that were NOT available on other Corvettes.
Something like that could stand next to the Ferraris and Porsches and not look like a skunk at the picnic.

Last edited by Bob Eyres; 06-14-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #28
BigJohn

I like Skunked Cars!!!
Admiral Blue Cars didn't sale very well in 94 and 95.
But with the Skunk stripe on the 96 Grand Sports it became a hit.
I guess they found a way to sale an unpopular color.(Or get rid of it!)
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #29
Daniel_Mc

I for one LOVE the Admiral Blue color, with or without the skunk stripe. I also really love the Grand Sports they ARE IMHO a special car. And WERE raced, not huge like the Z’s had been campaigned. The GS’s also do not hold international records as the Z’s but were competitively raced none the less. For instance Ralph Giro of Gainesville, FL campaigned GS #749 in the early days of T-1 to the SCCA SARRC T-1 Championship and won the series in 00, 01 & 4th in 02 only to be outdone by the C5 Z06’s. This GS #749 with the full cage installed was still his daily driver and he drove the car to the races then back home. I for one think this is pretty darn cool! The GS was an end of the era car never intended to be what the Z was. The GS project had very little funding compared to the ZR-1 project. However with the limited numbers of the GS and knowing the background of the GS project shocks me that it was ever even done especially in such relatively small numbers. It is a unique car with a unique background and is not for everyone (love or hate thing). I for one HATED the GS when it was introduced but after seeing one in person just fell in love with it. I don’t think the Grand Sport takes ANYTHING away from the C4 ZR-1 at all. The ZR-1 is a different car with a completely different personality all together. The phrase “its Corvette… Just more so” couldn’t be more correct. I do agree with Bob Eyres the ZR-1 needed (after the 91 restyle of the base model) something more distinct but then again I like how it is under the radar. Both the Grand Sport and ZR-1 have great followings and the people assonated with each car are great people as well. I too feel the ZR-1’s day will come but if not I really don’t care I will still appreciate the car for with it was/is/and going to be.

Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #30
C4Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Why?
Could it be that there were 3032 1990 ZR-1's made? That is almost double the amount of the entire GS production, no? Or maybe our total production of 6922 units?

Or maybe it's because unless people actually come here and do some reading the myth of "no parts" persists?

Or the myth about "nobody knows how to work on that motor" persists unless they come to our house and read up on the facts?

Could it be 330 hp from a familiar push rod V8 is easier to internalize than 375 to 405 from something that looks "foreign"?

IDK why and I sometime get a bit mad about it. But then I respect anyone who collects rare cars of any type. They're car guys, and we all are the same save for what the object of our passion is. I mean no offense by this, but my first vette was a 72 LT-1 and I loved that car. If someone told me I could have my 72, not just any 72, back but I had to give up my Z....it would be no sale! But LT-1 cars are worth twice as much as my 90 Z. So be it, but I drive to BG for the Gathering every year for the last 3 yrs. Try that in a 72 LT-1 w/factory side exhaust & F41 suspension...oh and the A/C worked too! I say give me my 90 Z all day long. JMHO

Tom
I agree completely!

But ya got's to love a GS "bleeder"...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 ZR-1 #128
C4Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote