ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-04-2022   #1
ZR1North

Default Re: Wazoo to the rescue AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Hi Marty,

Looks like the 7000+ RPM runs put some pressure on the fuel hose clamps but overall, your/my car is well taken care of and happy. You are 100% correct, typical Jim to the rescue. I am so very lucky to live in Wazoo land and to have make lifelong friends from owning #246. No fear driving a 30 year old car with just under 110,000 miles, I know Wazoo has my back. When you think of all the times Jim, Phil, Yun, Rich, Nelson, Glenn and the rest of Wazoo have come to the rescue of somebody in the brotherhood; be it at one of our monthly Wazoo maintenance days at Jim's home, the Holiday Inn parking lot in Bowling Green, the Smokey Mountains, at Carlisle or on the highway, this group is very special. Pic of Jim arriving 35 minutes after my SOS and he lives 35 minutes away from where I broke down! Stopped what he was doing, had tools in the car and was on the way.....priceless!!

Gotta love it when your ?service tech? shows up on a ZR-1!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022   #2
efnfast

I like Jim, he's a good dude.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022   #3
ZRXMAX

On top of all the good things everybody mentioned we have a fuel pump access point that rivals anything a fuel injection car made since the 80s doesn't have. If you have ever had to drop a fuel tank on most anything else to change a fuel pump... its no contest... the C4 design wins every time.
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022   #4
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRXMAX View Post
On top of all the good things everybody mentioned we have a fuel pump access point that rivals anything a fuel injection car made since the 80s doesn't have. If you have ever had to drop a fuel tank on most anything else to change a fuel pump... its no contest... the C4 design wins every time.
Boy you can say that again. There is a lot to like in my C7 Z06 but one of them is not fuel tank access. The dual saddlebag tanks sit directly behind the seats, and one has to drop the transmission/transaxle, driveline and a bunch of other stuff to get it out. And some 2016 C7s had a propensity for a crack near the fuel filler that leaks, so much so that we got 10 year/120,000 mile warranties on the procedure. Great that the C4s have that fuel pump access and that this group has all the wisdom to take advantage of it. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022   #5
zyal8r

Really awesome story! I love the close-knit group of Z owners. That's one reason I wanted a ZR-1 for so long!

We need to form an extension group down here in Kansas City - KAZOO?? (obviously MIZZOU would be confusing!)

Mike
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022   #6
dredgeguy

Let's use this as a teaching moment, fuel pumps. The pumps I have in my car are Performance Electric P240KC purchased from Rock Auto for $17.64 each. They come complete with the strainer sock. In fact, I have two new spare units in my car just in case. When we were reattaching the hose that slipped off we noticed that they do not have a ridge on the outlet port where you would place the clamp. This is how the rubber hose slipped off over time. Dan checked his spare fuel pump that he recently purchased also from Rock Auto. He got the Delphi FE0039 which costs $53.79 and does not include the strainer but it DOES have a ridge on the outlet port. Might have to change out to the Delphi so this problem does not happen again.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022   #7
tgonyaw

Good Job Jim!
Nice to know the detail about the ridge needed to keep the clamp/hose attached. Both of mine were replaced, but do not know with what.
tgonyaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022   #8
Erik

Anyone up for a New Brunswick Wazoo meet? Steak and Lobster? Fresh Canadian Beer?

😊

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022   #9
fastpace

So great to see the community support.

I always see the posts about the Wazoo group and events. Anyone care to give a bit of detail about the Wazoo maintenance days? Have been considering setting something similar up in Houston, either with C4 ZR1s or Fbodies.

How often are they held? What level of maintenance is normally done? Any preplanning work to make it go smoothly? Any just overall lessons learned in hosting the event?
fastpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022   #10
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpace View Post
So great to see the community support.

I always see the posts about the Wazoo group and events. Anyone care to give a bit of detail about the Wazoo maintenance days? Have been considering setting something similar up in Houston, either with C4 ZR1s or Fbodies.

How often are they held? What level of maintenance is normally done? Any preplanning work to make it go smoothly? Any just overall lessons learned in hosting the event?
We get together as needed maybe around once every two months or so. As for the level of service, pretty much everything from an oil change to dropping in a LT5 - brakes, injectors, coils, starters, heater core, navigation unit, etc.
Good host is a must and car lift and well stocked tools help.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote