ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2007   #11
mrzzzr1

Thumbs up Re: Engine is missing

Thanks to all who helped diagnose the problem. Comments very right on. Wish I would have read some sooner.
GM Krcek.
vin #2433
mrzzzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #12
tomtom72

Default Re: Engine is missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Tom and Tom are hitting in the ballpark.
mrzzzr1, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread with this post!

...but....I feel like I just graduated up a level and got mt 3rd yr noob diploma! Thanks Jeff for the nod!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #13
mrzzzr1

Red face Re: Engine is missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Glad you guys found the problem. Yes the early cars 90-91 seem to be the most susceptable to lack of use where the injectors are concerned. Remember that if you go to OEM?GM injectors that GM never "corrected" the seals for ethanol.

I think the Delphi injectors are corrected. I also know that a bunch of people have used the Accel injectors with very good results. There are threads about which P/N Accel's to use here. And there are always the RCEngineering.com injectors we get a registry discount too from them.

JMHO on this job if I may. Don't piece this job because they will all fail the same way. Just bite the bullet and do them all(16) at once so you only have to do it once. It's a lot of cash but in the long run it's just better to be done with it.

You also might want to consider giving the secondary port throttle system a very critical "eye ball" while you're under there. Ya know the control solenoid, tank, vacuum line spyder, secondary actuators, check the CCVBox cover for loose bolts & leaking gasket & hoses, clean the valley & starter, load test the alternator, plug wires and coils, A/C system vacuum control valve, temp sensors(in the left I/H, up forward), serp belt, make sure the screws on the secondary butterflys are tight even a drop of lock tite on them is cool(one guy had one fall off & go into a combustion chamber). Or maybe even a port & polish on the plenum, I/H's, T/body with some new powder coat!

Sorry for spending your $. Point is the gaskets are not cheap and GM don't have 1/2 of them anyway. GM don't sell them in a set either, just all seperate. Try partszoneonline.com (P & G chevy in PA) or Superrior Chevy or Marc Haibeck (you could ask him the best source for the gaskets).

Okay I'll shut up now!

Tom
Tom- this is a late update but probably well wort mentioning to all:
Less that a year after biting the bullet and replacing all 16 injectors my engine has been running great. There is another upside to the story though:
My gas mileage has imporved significantly : - )))
I had the car ~7 years before I replaced the injectors and it always acted like it was sucking up fuel like I owned a refinery. I even spent seveal $$$ to have the engine checked a few years back as to why it was always sucking up fuel like no tomorrow - I meant to add > "with no problems found". MPG has improved a lot. IT is still a gas hog though. I actually got as high as 25 mpg on the freeway once by keeping it in 6th gear and cruising ~75 mph.
vin #2433
mrzzzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #14
tomtom72

Default Re: Engine is missing

Glad your toy is humming along & running strong!

Gas milage, gas milage???? We don't care about gas milage....it is too much fun to put my foot in it & listen to the sound!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote