ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-23-2012   #11
rhipsher

Default Re: Best Rear Wheel Hub Assembly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I thought of the same since I bought a set of NOS hubs for something like $120 each in 2010.
No such luck anymore - all sold out! Looks like they only have front hubs now.
Yes your right. They sold the rears for $199 a piece and the front's for $120 a piece.
I tell you what Ron! I have a set of rear OEM wheel hub assemblies that are used but in very good shape that I'll give to you free. But they are for a 90 Z. I don't know what year yours is. Or if they are interchangeable.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #12
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanselman View Post
AutoZone Duralast - $77
Timken = $110
GM Dealer = $425

Any recomondations?

I have a low speed noise and vibration on number #140. I'm going to check her out today...

Cheers,
RH
Timken. Make fine other bearings as well.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #13
rhipsher

Ron I'd check your suspension bushings. Rubber bushings have only so many good years in them before they get hard and dry rot. Old hard tires will cause balance problems and vibration also. So will worn out inner/outer tie rods/steering rack/ upper/lower ball joints. Look how bad mine was.

And the rear tires were wearing unevenly. It was horrible all the way around and just getting worse. So I over hauled the entire suspension. It drives like a stiff dream now. Every vibration I ever had was gone. I hope yours is just old tires. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2012   #14
RHanselman

Wow, I didn't even think to ask Doug or Colton...

I usually go to Corvette Recycling for all my stuff but it's been so long, I dropped them out of my crosscheck.

I do have some rubber that needs replacing. Mainly on the rear springs, all the rest looks in pretty good shape. The dog bones are hard to tell unless you get on it a few times and then inspect them. You can see the rub marks on the rubber from their movement in the bracket. I had a big problem with my '91 and she only had a few thousand miles on her at the time. Of course, it's the age that counts...

Glen, I'll put the tires from the 368 car on this weekend and see if there's a big difference. I bet you are right. The tires are like rocks and there is some uneven wearing going on.

I have some Timken's on the way just in case...

Cheers,
RH
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #15
XfireZ51

Ron

Have u jacked rear end up and tried rocking wheel holding top and bottom?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #16
RHanselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Ron

Have u jacked rear end up and tried rocking wheel holding top and bottom?
Yes and she's solid as a rock.

When I test the U-Joints I get a little lash on the right rear but not much... she probably needs a new joint or two...
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #17
rhipsher

I jacked mine up also and grabbed the top and bottom of the tires and wiggled them also and they felt tight. But underneath they were toast. My rears felt tight also but look at my dog bones when I removed them.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...no1970/yyy.mp4

Of course I have 100 pics of the entire suspension poly rebuild but I wont bore anybody with all that. Just figured Id throw out a few suggestions.

Last edited by rhipsher; 01-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2012   #18
Corbusa

show some picture Bra
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #19
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbusa View Post
show some picture Bra
Well I can give you an idea in a few pictures of whats involved. And I'm positive that once you see them you'll be inspired to dive right in.

But I think Dynomite has the rest of it in the how to section.
Old 01-24-2012   #20
sdycke

An 'electonic ear' can be extremely helpful diagnosing bearing (and many other) noises. Especially easy now that they are wireless. Not expensive considering the time/frustration they save. And you suddenly become an A-list friend to your gear head buddies! Always go with a name brand bearing manufacturer such as Timken. Bower etc........ The white box, private label, etc whatever you call them are actually intended for vehicles to be used as car bombs. Really! Little known fact. Youre welcome. Cheers!

Last edited by sdycke; 01-24-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: slightly less confusing now
sdycke is offline   Reply With Quote