ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-19-2014   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: My car really wants to be worked on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
So I put the car on jackstands yesterday and there has not been any coolant leaked. I'm not sure if that was just some boilover or something. I can't find anywhere it would be leaking. Would it be a bad idea to pressurize the system for the whole weekend and see if it leaks?
Pressurizing the system for a period of time would work for leak detection especially for hard to find leaks. Some leaks may only show up when engine parts are hot however.

You do have to either run the engine to operating temperatures/coolant operating pressures or apply pressure to the coolant system for it to leak in most cases.

Just letting the car sit without running the engine usually will not show any coolant leaks at all.

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-19-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #12
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Pressurizing the system for a period of time would work for leak detection especially for hard to find leaks. Some leaks may only show up when engine parts are hot however.

You do have to either run the engine to operating temperatures/coolant operating pressures or apply pressure to the coolant system for it to leak in most cases.

Just letting the car sit without running the engine usually will not show any coolant leaks at all.
I drove the car and put it up on Jackstands. It didn't look to leak anything.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #13
Billy Mild

So I found the coolant leak. I haven't driven the car in a few weeks due to my brake issue. I finally got around to buying a new jack(since the other one was stolen). I noticed it has leaked a little bit on the floor. Soaked one piece of cardboard. Here is a picture of where its leaking from: It appears to be the hose at the bottom of the water pump. Is there anyway to tighten this clamp without take the entire front end apart?

Old 11-17-2014   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
So I found the coolant leak. I haven't driven the car in a few weeks due to my brake issue. I finally got around to buying a new jack(since the other one was stolen). I noticed it has leaked a little bit on the floor. Soaked one piece of cardboard. Here is a picture of where its leaking from: It appears to be the hose at the bottom of the water pump. Is there anyway to tighten this clamp without take the entire front end apart?

Spring clamps... Without the proper tool - and even then - are not so easy to deal with, "fer sher". But! They are way better than the "worm" clamps in that they're self-adjusting; maintain constant pressure even as the rubber "cold flows" from under the clamp. So, my obligatory statement would be to replace it with the proper spring clam, if you can.

That said, because that (worm) clamp is situated to where you can't access it easily, I would (and have done) suggest cutting it or grinding it off (w/ a Dremel tool, perhaps) and reinstalling a new one where you can access the tightening screw easily. But, as with ANY such non-spring clamps, the (hose) material will migrate or collapse under pressure so that if not re-tightened from time to time, they WILL often leak eventually.

"Hint:" Anytime a new worm type clamp is installed, I find it should be revisited again in a few weeks and re-tightened. After about a week or two the rubber will have taken shape so that re-tightening the clamp will result in less/no reaction by the rubber to the force applied, if NOT over-tightened.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014   #15
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Spring clamps... Without the proper tool - and even then - are not so easy to deal with, "fer sher". But! They are way better than the "worm" clamps in that they're self-adjusting; maintain constant pressure even as the rubber "cold flows" from under the clamp. So, my obligatory statement would be to replace it with the proper spring clam, if you can.

That said, because that (worm) clamp is situated to where you can't access it easily, I would (and have done) suggest cutting it or grinding it off (w/ a Dremel tool, perhaps) and reinstalling a new one where you can access the tightening screw easily. But, as with ANY such non-spring clamps, the (hose) material will migrate or collapse under pressure so that if not re-tightened from time to time, they WILL often leak eventually.

"Hint:" Anytime a new worm type clamp is installed, I find it should be revisited again in a few weeks and re-tightened. After about a week or two the rubber will have taken shape so that re-tightening the clamp will result in less/no reaction by the rubber to the force applied, if NOT over-tightened.
I don't think I can even get a Dremel in there. Its a tight fit. Does this mean the entire top end needs to come off again, along with removing the alternator and all that jazz?
Old 11-17-2014   #16
mike100

You don't have to be able to get a screwdriver in there, but rather a 1/4 dr flex head swivel and some extensions. Maybe the nut size is 7 or 8mm for that type of hose clamp. Looks like you have to go down thru the top some way.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014   #17
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post

"Hint:" Anytime a new worm type clamp is installed, I find it should be revisited again in a few weeks and re-tightened. After about a week or two the rubber will have taken shape so that re-tightening the clamp will result in less/no reaction by the rubber to the force applied, if NOT over-tightened.[/INDENT][/I]
Exactly, Also be aware that a spring clamp will crack a plastic fitting or radiator neck if over tightened as the part with the worm gear creates a pressure point under it as it is thicker under the clamp, were a spring clamp has even pressure (no high spot).

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold

Last edited by We Gone; 11-17-2014 at 02:17 PM.
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014   #18
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Exactly, Also be aware that a spring clamp will crack a plastic fitting or radiator neck if over tightened as the part with the worm gear creates a pressure point under it as it is thicker under the clamp, were a spring clamp has even pressure (no high spot).
It sounds like this is not the correct type of clamp this came with from the factory. So what is the best way to change out this clamp? Do I need to tear everything apart, should I just focus on getting this one tightened?
Old 11-17-2014   #19
We Gone

On aluminum or brass the screw clamp will work fine. Jerry's Gaskets sells the spring clamps but you would have to remove the hose end from the pump to replace it and that hose is a hard one.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014   #20
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Long as we're on the subject of those &%$)#! spring clamps, does anyone have or know of a tool for removing/installing those things that will work from any angle? (I suspect the only reason worm clamps even exist is because those spring clamps are sucha bitch to install/remove w/o some kind of special tool.)

Suggestions??? WVZR-1? Anybody?? (Not meaning to steal the thread!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-19-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote