ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-16-2014   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: Using a non Z zf6 in a Z.. Possible without a teardown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
I'm going to just say that my experience with George at Rockland Gear was negative at best. In fact he still has one of my D44 rears and refuses to acknowledge it. Even though I personally handed him the rear for a gear change at my shop in Massapequa NY. This is before George moved his shop upstate to Sloatsburg NY.He is one of the very few vendors that I have ever had negative feed back with. Actually he ripped me off and he knows it.

Karma has a funny way of biting one in the *** , sooner or later.

Bill Boudroux , I can honestly say has gone out of his way to help me when I needed him.
Your experience Frank is certainly unfortunate. All of my financials have been with Rockland directly and just an occasional conversation with George when needed. I bought from Rockland when they first started, long before the Internet and their latest endeavors, I did most of my transfer case parts purchases and many older manual transmission parts purchases with them. I'd say for the times I spent a good bit of money there. I had an open account and everything worked very well.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #12
HIZNHRZ

I don't know anything about Rockland. I do know there are two two great ZR-1 subject matter experts that I can't pass up an opportunity to say something good about.

It doesn't get any better than a Marc Haibeck built engine and a Bill Boudreau built transmission; outstanding people and outstanding work.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #13
5ABI VT

I decided it's pretty much cost effective to have modify my current trans for a crash through for the 6th gear instead of swapping the tranny from each car. The lt4 car will see much higher rpm and speeds so I still want to keep the tranny in that one. I just was disturbed by the fact that the lt4 car has the nice lockout (and bills shifter) but I will never use 6th in it . The cam wouldn't make enough torque down low or in the midrange unless i was cruising at 160 mph maybe more . I'm trying to make the the z the 'driver' of the two while the lt4 car is more the highway rocket for night time fun.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #14
FU

Beware of a long hard pull in 6th with any ZF6. Let Bill know that you have intentions on doing long hard 6th gear pulls.
Poor lube and cooling makes for "lockup".

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #15
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
Beware of a long hard pull in 6th with any ZF6. Let Bill know that you have intentions on doing long hard 6th gear pulls.
Poor lube and cooling makes for "lockup".
I would never do any sort of pulling in 6th . only light load cruising. The lt4 im building is huge cam solid roller for high rpm and I only meant it wouldn't even make enough torque to hold 6th at light throttle at 70 mph so I was figuring it would need much higher rpm to be able to do it . The goal was peak torque at 5/6000 so I'd imagine how gutless it would be at lower rpms.

I actually blew up a black tag on my 93 when I bought it In 98 because I was using 6th for wot. It had 4.09s in it. That where my education started on the zf lol! It's also why I consider the zf a 5 speed trans. Maybe even a 4 speed. 5th is still a long gear and 6th is for fuel mileage . That's why I'm quite opposed to steep gears and like oem or slightly steeper gears like a 3.73.
Old 10-29-2014   #16
Bob Eyres

I've never heard of anyone using sixth gear for any performance runs, strictly mileage.
After all, with a stock rear end, sixth gear specs out to way over 300mph. at redline.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #17
5ABI VT

In my 93 with 4.10s I topped out at 260 km/hr in 5th and 6th did pull to about 295 or so. Slow but steady. Killed my first zf probably doing that back in the day. the synchro was white from the heat.