ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-22-2016   #11
rush91

Default Re: Spare or no spare.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
That also is true. There is actually a GM brace part that is added in place of the spare tire if a spare tire delete was ordered (I think that was possible back then; perhaps someone else could expand on that). I believe Dave Johnson has one of those on a car.--Bob
Now there would be an interesting story. If someone had fore sight when originally ordering the car, ordered spare delete. Was it an option?
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #12
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nolan View Post
I asked the same question many years ago and the general consenus was that it was part of the rear end crash safety. How much it would help by leaving it in who knows. But by taking it out the only thing left is the gas tank. Your choice.

Jim

I definately wouldn't take it out for a road trip or long trip. Unless one rolls with AAA. I wasn't aware it was / is part of the crash safety of our Z's.... Interesting. I could see how it would of been designed to be useful in a rear end crash. Not much back there anyways....
Old 08-22-2016   #13
A26B

This is not the spare tire delete piece, but rather something I had made to make it look better. (Look at the bottom of this photo)

1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #14
QB93Z

Some thoughts:

I have used my spare to get back to the house after a flat tire on the interstate near home. The alternative would have been calling AAA to get a rollback to take the car back to the house. With the reduced ground clearance of a ZR-1 on a flat, loading the rollback could be a problem.

When we had the tire problem in Newfoundland, the spare made no difference because both rear tires had been compromised. I could have put the spare on the side that was worse, but I decided that I would drive conservatively on the bad tires.

In preparation for our Alaska trip, I decided that the spare was important. I carried a 12vdc inflator in case a slow leak gave me a flat in the morning at a hotel. I could pump it up and get to a service center without too much drama. If I had a blowout, I was going to put on the spare and drive to a tire store. Based on what I know now, I would not have found a replacement tire in Alaska without a 5-day wait for shipping from the lower 48 states. The spare would have been critical to getting to a place that could solve the problem. As we had to do in Newfoundland, it took two tire store visits to solve my problem in a timely manner.

I recommend putting the spare on your car and drive a few miles to restore your confidence in it. Then keep it on board the car.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #15
JimZRyd

No spare here. I just carry a tire repair kit and a 12v compressor in lieu of the spare. Cleans up the back end in my opinion.

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #16
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
No spare here. I just carry a tire repair kit and a 12v compressor in lieu of the spare. Cleans up the back end in my opinion.
With 18/19s F/R, there's little choice about using a spare. Especially if u have C6Z06 front calipers. So I have opted for the Continental tire repair kit that uses
A sealant and a compressor. If I go to Europe next year, I may rely on my friend who works for Michelin or ship a couple of tires maybe to Sam. I could get a C6 wheel and throw a tire on it just to drive on to get to a repair place,
Not an easy decision.
BTW, I still have spare tire carrier on there but now I have stuffed some fiberglass insulation in it to dampen exhaust rumble coming up from underneath the hatch floor.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #17
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
This is not the spare tire delete piece, but rather something I had made to make it look better. (Look at the bottom of this photo)

Wow. I'm just admiring how clean that underside is. Is that a center exit exhaust? That piece looks like a factory piece, very nice!
Old 08-22-2016   #18
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post

Piece of art there .

No spare here I use AAA.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #19
A26B

Thanks, but it's not all that clean. It's a 65K car & I'm not a waxer, so it must be the photo

Yes, it's a center exit exhaust & yes, it's all custom that has been modified over the years since it was done originally. Used to have a custom made center resonator/muffler that sounded good but was too restrictive for the 415. In its place now, are 2 custom made "Cherry Bomb" style glass pack mufflers. Really a straight through perforated 3" pipe inside of a 4" outer shell. I blew all the glass pack out in pretty short order. It didn't really do anything that I could tell.
Pretty loud!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #20
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Some thoughts:

I have used my spare to get back to the house after a flat tire on the interstate near home. The alternative would have been calling AAA to get a rollback to take the car back to the house. With the reduced ground clearance of a ZR-1 on a flat, loading the rollback could be a problem.

When we had the tire problem in Newfoundland, the spare made no difference because both rear tires had been compromised. I could have put the spare on the side that was worse, but I decided that I would drive conservatively on the bad tires.

In preparation for our Alaska trip, I decided that the spare was important. I carried a 12vdc inflator in case a slow leak gave me a flat in the morning at a hotel. I could pump it up and get to a service center without too much drama. If I had a blowout, I was going to put on the spare and drive to a tire store. Based on what I know now, I would not have found a replacement tire in Alaska without a 5-day wait for shipping from the lower 48 states. The spare would have been critical to getting to a place that could solve the problem. As we had to do in Newfoundland, it took two tire store visits to solve my problem in a timely manner.

I recommend putting the spare on your car and drive a few miles to restore your confidence in it. Then keep it on board the car.

Jim
How did the new Sumitomos perform? after following your ride trip, and seeing your predicament, I think the spare is a wise choice. It's there for a reason. I have AAA as well, and thought of going with a tire repair kit, no spare. But you make an excellent point about a clearance of our Z's and ANY tow truck.