ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-26-2016   #11
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Soon time to replace coolant hose,any and all tips welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
This thread describes what I went through to remove one of those stock hose clamps and a very similar tool (identified by Scrrem) to what Craig describes.

Removing Original Coolant Hose Clamps TIPS
Thanks for the confirmation about this tool Cliff. I missed the original post by Rich. I'm ordering one as soon as I click submit reply on this post. This tool should be a pay it forward tool since once you remove these clamps from the General, the tool is not needed again (I better check my other brand cars first; I see Audis and VW among others have these clamps too). I can only say that those clamps from the factory are pretty awesome as PITA they are since cars way past 20 years old have no leaks that I have every experienced and can't get loose, that is for sure.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 11-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
This thread describes what I went through to remove one of those stock hose clamps and a very similar tool (identified by Scrrem) to what Craig describes.

Removing Original Coolant Hose Clamps TIPS
Thanks again! Ordered the Astro instead. Made in Taiwan so pick your poison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiCfGp0y_ww Here is a review of the difference with the OTC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Product Description
PLEASE NOTE: this item is manufactured with either red or purple handles; the color is not an option but depends on what the manufacturer sends. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but there is no color choice option available to customers. Allows for extra reach, removal and locking of clamps into open position.Allows for removal of plastic and/or metal self-tightening hose clamps with diameters of 11/16" - 2-1/2" (18mm-54mm).Precision clamp on end of flexible cable allows for extended reach where other models cannot reach.Pliers can be locked, freeing up your hands and making your job easier and faster.Pliers have a lifetime warranty.Cable and spring are wearable items and must be replaced.Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers

From the Manufacturer:
The Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers has a re-engineered double gear lock lever with wider and deeper gears for secure locking. It also features a new and improved cable assembly with larger cable and stronger connection for maximum strength. New cable adjuster and multiple gear lock provide accurate and secure locking for any clamp position between minimum and maximum range. Unit allows for removal of plastic and/or metal self-tightening hose clamps with diameters of 11/16-inch - 2-1/2-inch (18mm - 54mm). Precision clamp on the end of the flexible cable allows for extended range where other models cannot reach. Pliers can be locked, freeing up your hands and making your job easier and faster. US Patent # 6,370,985 B1, France Patent # 0012910, Cable Assembly - #9409ACA

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 11-26-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2016   #13
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks again! Ordered the Astro instead. Made in Taiwan so pick your poison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiCfGp0y_ww Here is a review of the difference with the OTC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Product Description
PLEASE NOTE: this item is manufactured with either red or purple handles; the color is not an option but depends on what the manufacturer sends. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but there is no color choice option available to customers. Allows for extra reach, removal and locking of clamps into open position.Allows for removal of plastic and/or metal self-tightening hose clamps with diameters of 11/16" - 2-1/2" (18mm-54mm).Precision clamp on end of flexible cable allows for extended reach where other models cannot reach.Pliers can be locked, freeing up your hands and making your job easier and faster.Pliers have a lifetime warranty.Cable and spring are wearable items and must be replaced.Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers

From the Manufacturer:
The Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers has a re-engineered double gear lock lever with wider and deeper gears for secure locking. It also features a new and improved cable assembly with larger cable and stronger connection for maximum strength. New cable adjuster and multiple gear lock provide accurate and secure locking for any clamp position between minimum and maximum range. Unit allows for removal of plastic and/or metal self-tightening hose clamps with diameters of 11/16-inch - 2-1/2-inch (18mm - 54mm). Precision clamp on the end of the flexible cable allows for extended range where other models cannot reach. Pliers can be locked, freeing up your hands and making your job easier and faster. US Patent # 6,370,985 B1, France Patent # 0012910, Cable Assembly - #9409ACA
Thanks for the information...as it turns out this tool has multiple uses from the video you found.....thanks Craig

And a comparison between a couple of different tools.........which comparison makes sense to me.

Your Post above is in the sixth Post of -Solutions- under the Heading COOLANT SYSTEM, HOSES, LEAKS

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #14
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Thanks for the information...as it turns out this tool has multiple uses from the video you found.....thanks Craig

And a comparison between a couple of different tools.........which comparison makes sense to me.

Your Post above is in the sixth Post of -Solutions- under the Heading COOLANT SYSTEM, HOSES, LEAKS
Hey Cliff, if I can be of help to the World-Renowed Technical Contributor "Dynomite", I am honored........

The Astro clamp tool had me at, "Deeper Double Gear Lock" on its package...ha, ha.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 11-26-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2016   #15
Z51JEFF

Thanks for all the tips so far,any difficulties or obstacles are what I'm looking for. I've got the clamp tool mentioned. I'm going with the OEM hoses so the OEM clamps are what I'm using. Hopefully I'll be in a new house within 6 months with a full garage with more room so might wait until then but I've been putting this off for awhile now but might just dive in and do it now. Here's my plan: Pull the top shroud,pull the oil cooler lines and whatever I need to get clear access to all the hoses and clamps. I'll raise the front a few inches to get a clear shot at the T-housing. I want to make this as painless as possible,hence all the questions. While I'm at it I plan on pulling the plenum to check on my TB bypass to see how it's holding up. I've been wanting to get under there anyway to apply a fresh coat of heatsink barrier cream under the ICM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote