ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-13-2016   #11
Roadster

Default Re: FX3 actuator rebuild/roll pins

In addition to what the OP has posted, I also did some research. Could not find the Gedore 1.5 mm pin punch, but did find one from South Korea made by Smato. There are 4 left in the 1.5 mm size if anyone is interested.
Auction # 361759427841 Cost $7.35 and free shipping.

Also found some Serpent 1.5x10mm Roll Pins (10), these are solid and not the split ones that are also offered. I would imagine that these will work just fine.
Auction # 401103591073 Cost $7.68 which includes the shipping and shipped from CA. He has 2 more sets available as of this time. Not the great price that the OP got from China, but these are very hard to find along with the 1.5 mm pin punch.

I placed my order for both items...
Just thought I would pass this along......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 11-13-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016   #12
Roadster

Received the roll pins last week and received the pin punch from South Korea yesterday, which was extremely fast. I imagine that since the package was so small it made through customs without any problems. The 1.5mm pin punch and the roll pins match up perfect. Just have to cut them down to 6mm whenever needed. I may pick up the split roll pins just to have......
Thanks to the OP (orthodoct) for all the info.....into the tool box they go.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 11-23-2016   #13
secondchance

Now, try lining up the pin with the gear and shaft lined up, AND squeeze it in. It's like trying to butt xxxx a gnat! Excuse my Korean...
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016   #14
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Now, try lining up the pin with the gear and shaft lined up, AND squeeze it in. It's like butt xxxxing a gnat! Excuse my Korean...
I hear you there Yun....... hope I never need them at all. But for the price, I feel it's cheap insurance for if it does happen....I always try to be prepared, but that doesn't always happen.......anyway it's another tool for WAZOO Land, don't know if Jim has this tool and the pins or not.....but we have one now or maybe two......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 11-23-2016   #15
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I hear you there Yun....... hope I never need them at all. But for the price, I feel it's cheap insurance for if it does happen....I always try to be prepared, but that doesn't always happen.......anyway it's another tool for WAZOO Land, don't know if Jim has this tool and the pins or not.....but we have one now or maybe two......
I did this a couple of times. I think the last time was about 3 years ago. It can be done! Good eyesight, steady hand and a good needle nose pliers is what it takes.
Old 11-23-2016   #16
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I Could not find the Gedore 1.5 mm pin punch, but did find one from South Korea made by Smato. There are 4 left in the 1.5 mm size if anyone is interested.
I must of lucked out I was able to order at Gedore on Ebay nice punch
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016   #17
orthodoct

Hi secondchance. Regarding lining up the holes, I am spoiled with acesss to some incredible instruments as an orthopaedic surgeon. There is an instrument known as a pointed towel clip that we use to secure drapes around a surgical field. They have tapered points and when the tips are passed through the holes in the gear and shaft of the shock, they line up he holes perfectly. BTW, Captain Z CNC now stocks the 1.5mm by 6.0mm pins needed to install the gears. If some one can tell me how to post a picture, I'll take a picture of the towel clips and try to find an online source. Roadster, I noted the "Serpent" brand on your punch and roll pins. I built two of their gas powered remote controlled cars. Awesome machines; 0-70 REAL mph in two seconds! They were kits, $1500 each not including engine or radios, made in Holland. Still have them upstairs in my theater room on display!
orthodoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016   #18
orthodoct

Correct name for towel clip is Backhaus Kocher Towel Forceps; not cheap, but a unique and useful tool.
Old 11-23-2016   #19
secondchance

Talking Re: FX3 actuator rebuild/roll pins

Backhaus Kocher Towel Forceps, huh? I think I lined up the holes with the punch, squeezed in the pin through the gear, turned left and right until I could feel the hole on the shock shaft followed by additional squeeze with the needle nose. Wasn't easy but got it through. All with just my thumb and index fingers.

Last edited by secondchance; 11-23-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2016   #20
orthodoct

Told you that I was spoiled! The tapered nature of the tips of the towel clips corrects any rotational malalignment and centers the holes perfectly.