ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 12-13-2006   #11
rkreigh

Default Re: BG 2007 Planning

awesome. thank you all so much for the feedback. it sounds like a few of these may emerge with a thumbs up.

anything else you guys would like to do?? I will of course BS all weekend long and hopefully we'll have a few more strokers and turbo cars running around to learn more about the super modified cars, and mom can finally teach me how to wax one of these (NOT) er or maybe kev. don't worry about getting spanked by a higher HP car, just focus on getting out and having fun, even a stock zr1 has plenty of power to be thrilling.

thanks for the vote of confidence, we're going to have fun that's for sure and that's what the numero uno priority is in my book.

if you are paying and not having fun, it's best to not!!!

Last edited by rkreigh; 12-13-2006 at 10:42 PM.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #12
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: BG 2007 Planning

Another possible idea would be to have a detailer booth/tent who could charge a reasonable price for an engine bay detail. Many of us keep up the interior/exterior, but dread the work it takes to detail the engine and other components in the bay.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #13
GrayZ

Cool Re: BG 2007 Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh
awesome. thank you all so much for the feedback. it sounds like a few of these may emerge with a thumbs up.

anything else you guys would like to do?? I will of course BS all weekend long and hopefully we'll have a few more strokers and turbo cars running around to learn more about the super modified cars, and mom can finally teach me how to wax one of these (NOT) er or maybe kev. don't worry about getting spanked by a higher HP car, just focus on getting out and having fun, even a stock zr1 has plenty of power to be thrilling.

thanks for the vote of confidence, we're going to have fun that's for sure and that's what the numero uno priority is in my book.

if you are paying and not having fun, it's best to not!!!
yeah..don't worry about getting spanked by a high horsepower car mr twin turbo...lpe 390 million cubes...it's all in fun...unless your the one getting
spanked....
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #14
DDSLT5

Okay - I got an email from Dallas and the NMCA have the track booked for that thursday as well. Unfortunately that means we would have to go along with them again, and of course only 3 runs again.

I don't feel like bothering with all that bs (and it is a lot of bs) just to get a few runs down the track. I want to be able to get a lot of runs and it just isn't going to happen on that weekend. There are no other 1/4 mile tracks close to BG, so that is off the list as well.

I vote we have the gathering another time such that we can rent the track for our own use. I know some guys don't care about running down the track, but frankly, the whole point of owning a performance car to me, is to see how it performs! It is just too damn agonizing to see all those fine cars and not drive 'em how they were designed to be driven. What can I tell ya?
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #15
rkreigh

because registration is open and many have made plans I honestly don't know how feasible it is to move this years gathering date.

that's a bummer about the track on thursday night. thanks for looking into this.
Old 12-16-2006   #16
Peaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSLT5
I vote we have the gathering another time
I'm with Dwight on this one, since then I could obviously make it....but as Ron said, that would screw things up for those that have already made plans. There's always next year I guess.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #17
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaven
I'm with Dwight on this one, since then I could obviously make it....but as Ron said, that would screw things up for those that have already made plans. There's always next year I guess.
My wife and I are planning to make a trip out East in 2008. I would sure like to plan it around the Gathering. A later date would be great for this trip. Possibly Mid-June??? I am just curious if the weather would be good out that way around then?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #18
rkreigh

BG can be a bit hot and humid even in late may but I also vote we look at moving the date.

dwight, email me about the NMCA thing. I saw an email that there is some sort of snit that NHRA has with the BG track and the NMCA thing might not happen which would be cool for us.

even if we only get in a few runs some may feel that some racing is better than no racing and I kinda dig watching the other cars too but agree it woudl be better if it is ZR-1 pure.

with the size of the group shrinking, BG may not be as accomodating.

time to get the word out so folks will make plans and show up. there is strength (and $$$) in numbers to incent them.

thanks!! happy holidays. dreaming of burning rubber (and hopefully NOT the clutch)
Old 12-27-2006   #19
vandornjim

Default jvd reply-ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh
The club will either prosper and grow, or wither and die. I for one am going to make sure it’s the former not the latter. We have a great opportunity to have a lot of fun and learn more about the ZR-1 and why it’s held in such high regard. Please join me and share your thoughts and desires so we can work together to help make them happen and make this years gathering a notable and enjoyable event.

Ron Kreigh
Ron
Saw your post and couldn’t believe my eyes. I’ve been thinking about offering our place and services since the last event that was, well, shall we say, not too inspiring. We’re careful NOT to compete with the NCM but let’s face it, if we do a separate event here, they won’t come back to another event for the NCM or anyone else and vice versa. So, it’s in all of our interests to work together.

You may know, I’ve been in the Corvette hobby for many, many years and especially the ZR1 community since the very beginning. I also have just a little bit of experience organizing events…:-))

Yes, the lack of preparation-displays-etc has shown the "been there done" that has challenged the NCM for years and it's really beginning to show. If they don't make any effort at all, as they did this past event, well, many were very disgusted as this thread demonstrates. It would be easy for us to lose interest....BUT WAIT!!

Why can’t we give the event a boost while supporting the NCM all the same?? I think we can…and we better or everyone’s going to lose. Here’s some thoughts:

1- As Ron mentioned, Auto Masters could donate our time and equipment to install accessories, service or diagnose items, etc. The guys may buy their parts (exhaust, chips, air filters, etc, etc) from us (how's cost plus 10% sound), we install them for free (time and type of job permitting). We do our own ZR-1 programming so it might be interesting to compare dyno runs on different proms too! Of course we’d need to schedule but we can donate all day Friday, part of Saturday, etc. Guys who want to come earlier can call ahead. If you want to tip the guys for their time, make a donation to the NCM etc., your choice. Also, If you can coordinate with your dyno guys, attendees could do a before and after dyno run. Might be fun for exhaust systems, chips, air cleaners, etc. If they want to set up in our driveway they are welcome to.

2- Why not do a “Funkhana”? It’s a timed event where TWO PEOPLE work as a team doing various things. We’ve done it where they throw tennis balls at a box until they get a certain number in, etc. This goes on for 5 stations or so. Score is determined by time. Time penalties are given out for lack of accomplishments, cones knocked down etc. What does this do? Well, for one IT GETS THE OTHER HALF INVOLVED!! In fact, if we set it up right, 2 girls, 2 guys, KIDS all have equal chances to participate and win. The challlenges are endless.

We have the Vette City Flea Market PAVED parking lot (about room for 60-80 cars) right back of the shop and they’ll let us use it any time. They also have a huge carport for 40 cars under roof. It’s never used and would provide shelter from the sun (or rain), and a great place to register, score, etc. Cost? Little or nothing. Gain? Well, if we can come up with nice prizes, we’ll have a nice turnout. Don’t forget the annual title of “King/Queen of the Hill” and ANY car can enter, INCLUDING RENTALS!! You wanna talk about a blast? Everybody has fun and there’s also enough in it for the competition minded. Oh, and don’t forget the kids. They can compete too! To take up a morning or afternoon, you can change the stations and run 2 tracks, etc.

Speaking of kids,
I know many come to these events to get away from the little devils, but some would love to bring the kids if they had something to do. You want to boost attendance? Get some kids programs together! I think it would be a blast to have an entire day to wear them ‘lil devils out!! Maybe “JeffVette” will volunteer!

We can get products sponsored by manufacturers, suppliers etc. as prizes.

3- Now, our new shop is absolutely spotless and ideal for an inside banquet, buffet, dinner, dance, auction, whatever. We did it at my old place in Calif for the Pirate members and had a blast. We had over 100 at that party. We have 5,500 Sq Ft mostly wide open with 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and BBq facilities. Our staff, friends/family would be on hand to staff any get together as volunteers. We'd need to charge a nominal fee for rental tables, chairs, etc., but a heck of a lot cheaper than a $40 dinner at the convention center. AND A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN FOR SURE!! Left over proceeds benefit the NCM.

How about a REAL country BBQ? Ribs, sausage, hamburgers, etc. Plenty of REAL KENTUCKY HOME MADE food. Add a keg of BEER (oops a dirty word) and you have the making of a real party. How about LIVE music? Going rate is about $100 per member and there are several groups here in town available who are great. We could get sponsors & ask for a $10 per person donation for the band up front. Raffle GOOD prizes, etc.

4- Other ideas:
Road tours. Kentucky is beautiful in May. We can come up with some very interesting routes, attractions etc. How about a tour of the Holley Carb plant here in BG? ASC? Distilleries? Caves?

5- I know there's not many who are interested in performance any more but just in case, I have a complete radar system for speed measuring. How about a real 0-60 ft time challenge? Highest speed on the gun wins! (U-Joint replacement seminar immediately following)

I’d really like to see a renaissance with our annual event. It’s really one of the only chances the owners have to meet up with each other. I can ask many of the original GM and LT5 Gang to come and they would if there was something new.

Just some thoughts…
jvd
(website in the making)
270-842-0454
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #20
A1990

Glad to see JVD chime in!

Anything with beer is good food (pizza/burgers/etc)

Very interested in road racing.

Maybe a drag racing 101/autocross 101/road racing 101

ZR-1/GS/Callaway trivia contest? prizes?

Photo Session for 2008 Calendar (with hot women of course). Sell said calendar on forum with proceeds to needy family for 2007 Holidays?

Get donations(buy) for rare/collectible ZR-1/GS/Callaway items and have auction with desired items (owners' kits/rare parts/etc)

UPlaza parking lot activities (JVD has some good ideas here)

Underhood detailing @ $$ with donation to NCM?

The Callaway guys do creeper races...that could be fun

I do think that we need to utilize JVD's area for part of the event.

my .02
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote