ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-20-2013   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: Bad battery connector bolt

If you really want to use a full-size bolt this is the spacer, ideally you would use those bolts Dynomite posted or the one I suggested that you can use for "test-leads" BatteryTender or whatever. Of course I like my choice "best"!

The spacer (GM# 12354951):

WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #12
vilant

Thanks guys. I paid 12.99 for each replacement cable and only used the bolt . It also didn't "click" that the bolt is a standard 3/8 x 16 thread. I have a wide variety of these bolts in my work van, lol. I already swapped the bolts out and I'll return the cables (the bolts look untouched). The one thing I don't like about the direct replacement (and the original's were the same way) is it's not threaded all the way up the bolt . I do like the price though $3.95/set. The spacers are 6.99/ea. Thanks again for your help.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #13
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
Thanks guys. I paid 12.99 for each replacement cable and only used the bolt . It also didn't "click" that the bolt is a standard 3/8 x 16 thread. I have a wide variety of these bolts in my work van, lol. I already swapped the bolts out and I'll return the cables (the bolts look untouched). The one thing I don't like about the direct replacement (and the original's were the same way) is it's not threaded all the way up the bolt . I do like the price though $3.95/set. The spacers are 6.99/ea. Thanks again for your help.

The thread length on a battery bolt is an engineered spec that is meant to generally keep one from "bottoming" and fracturing the battery case or breaking the terminal from the battery internal structure. Doesn't always work, some still find a way to ruin a battery!.
Old 01-20-2013   #14
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
The thread length on a battery bolt is an engineered spec that is meant to generally keep one from "bottoming" and fracturing the battery case or breaking the terminal from the battery internal structure. Doesn't always work, some still find a way to ruin a battery!.
I did not know that . Makes sense though. Glad I didn't crank my temporary bolts in too hard. I guess I'll go direct replacement then. Thanks, I appreciate it.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #15
Hib Halverson

I had exactly the same problem about three weeks ago on my 95. Two new side terminal bolts fixed the problem.

I have a number of vehicles with side terminal batteries but my ZR-1 is the only car that's ever had a battery cable bolt wear out and I've changed the battery may half a dozen times in 20 years.

Go figure.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
I also had that problem. The original bolt is 8mm ( I believe or it's 7mm), anyway both bolts were so close to body of the car I couldn't fit a socket and wrench on it and I don't have an open end wrench that size. So I use to grab it with pliers (which shredded the end). The new bolt has a lower profile, so I can fit the a socket in. Downside, it doesn't stick out so you can clamp on it to it if needed. Not a problem for me, as I remove the bolt more for maintenance safety, then clamp on to the ground to test (there are other places to ground).
A couple of my favorite tools is a 1/4" drive socket set, AND a set of ratchet, box-end wrenches (especially where there's no room for a socket and a ratchet - even a 1/4" drive rig.

U?

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #17
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
A couple of my favorite tools is a 1/4" drive socket set, AND a set of ratchet, box-end wrenches (especially where there's no room for a socket and a ratchet - even a 1/4" drive rig.

U?

P.
The correct 6-point vs the wrong 12-point for battery bolts for sure!
Old 01-26-2013   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
For Battery Connections I carry an 8mm Flex Head Ratchet Combination Wrench in the Center Console
5/16 6-point is the real deal the 8mm 12-point "most" of the time but is certainly responsible for some issues! 8mm end wrench NO!

***8mm 6-point I must admit I grab occasionally

You need I believe just the 5/16 for battery bolt and the 9/16 oil drain plug the rest metric!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2013   #19
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Concur...But.......that 8 mm (.3149) flex ratchet can be used on other engine components without having a 5/16 (.3125) that is not used on anything else

And that Oil Drain Plug I use a 14 mm (.5512) same logic without having a 9/16 (.5625) not used for much else. Actually the 14 mm is not used for much else either except it IS part of the Metric Flex Ratchet Set I carry with me in the compartment under the Passenger side storage compartment insert

I will check tomorrow to make sure and report back if I dressed up the oil drain plug for a 14 mm Flex Ratchet
It's not the idea that it can't be used it's the idea that someone grabs a 12 point 8mm elcheapo and ruins it with the attempt. Might have ruined it also with a 5/16 BUT!

The OE/GM drain plug is a "no go" with a quality 14mm end-wrench, it's an SAE threaded part why would it have a metric head.