ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-25-2010   #11
Ccmano

Default Re: Water/Methanol Injection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
How about tunning 100LL AV fuel? It contains Toulene, which is a compound used to reduce knock....actually it is used in most octane boosters and can actually be purchased at any Sherman Williams paint store.
The beauty of the water/methanol injection is that it can be run on a DD, the fuel is easy to find, you don't use alot of it and it's cheap. Unless you want to find an airport every time you need gas it's not exactly practical. It's limited the 100 octane and it's leaded. There was a recent series of articles on fuels in Corvette Enthusiast, they explained the pros and cons of everything from E85 to AVGas to toluene to race gas. It's the Sept. to November issues.

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...&pagenum=70&f=

H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 02-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #12
jonszr1

be carefull with toulene. its a very dry substance. and can cause gaskets to go away very quickly . i wouldnt use more than 8 oz per 10 gal of fuel .
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #13
LGAFF

Actually the airport gas station is the closest fueling station to my house.......I will read up on what you posted.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #14
Locobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Given the sensitivity of our engines to timing and heat soak, I suspect there may be some gains to be made. I know that chip tuning done by Dominic has shown that optimum timing advance cannot be reached on pump gas. This is because the pre-ignition sensor picks up ping and instantly retards the timing, this gets worse as the engine gets hot. In theory, this system should allow maximum usable timing advance without fear of engine damage due to pre-ignition. Couple that with a cold, dense air charge and what "SAE literature refers to as `micro explosions' as the water/methanol mix flashes to vapor that helps break up the fuel droplets even further, giving a more homogeneous charge in the combustion chamber." We may have something worth investigating further here.

I'd like to hear further discussion on this.
H
I suppose that is what it comes down to: Does the LT-5 significantly benefit from running more timing than is possible with pump gas. This would be a most interesting dyno/tuning experiment.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #15
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

YOu take me back a while, Hans. I fooled with water/Methanol back in the mid 80s; a 11.25:1 CR 427 BBC. When it worked, it worked! But, the control system was rude, crude, and socially unacceptable - unreliable and difficult to get "right".

What I took away from the whole deal was it had a lot of potential, but at least at the elementary level (read: cheap n crude) it wasn't practical (for me at that time). And, I wasn't fooling with timing so much as attempting to come up with a method of just running that beast on pump gas. It was a cantankerous SOB for sure, and in the end, I gave it up for lent. That said, when it worked it was a beautiful thing!

Timing advance: With regardt to water/methanol, is advanced timing key to performance, or a necessity due to (much) slower burn rate?

I was reading about timing advance and the LT5 on pump gas. One of the points made was there was an optimum** timing. At some point advance became too much of a good thing - beyond which performance actually falls off. But, this is fodder for another thread, I suppose.

**Optimum timing was affected by the usual gang of suspects: engine temp, air temp, humidity, etc, etc.

Anywayz, tiz an interesting thread, Hanz. U taken the Z up to the Palomar Mt observatory yet? A nice twisty road for sure!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #16
Ccmano

As a follow up to the fuel conversation, here are all three of the CE articles. Excellent reading on the subject of gasoline, fuels and addatives. Noteworthy is the reference to a 95' ZR-1 used for octane booster testing (it worked) that subsequently had both cats fail at the same time.
H

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...1&pagenum=52&f=

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...1&pagenum=34&f=

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...1&pagenum=70&f=
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #17
xlr8nflorida

I think it has potential, I was researching this today and then searched for it on this forum.

Some of the articles said 5% HP increase which seems like alot.

Some of it is corrosive etc. methanol and ethanol.

I think it has potential.....

We always want to squeeze all the HP out we can
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #18
todesengel

I suggest anyone interested in doing this head over to supraforums and read the lengthy discussions, data posting, and input from people who use these systems everyday.

the snow kits (the only one I would ever use) are far from the kits of old. These are reliable beyond words, are completely metered, have built in safeguards, and warnings if you choose to use them.

I have three cars with snow kits on them, and have saved myself a fortune in fuel because of it.

Again, I highly suggest that anyone interested do their own research, and make their own decision, not utilizing second, third, or outdated source info.

BTW, a beautiful by product of using injection, if you use it correctly, is squeaky clean valves. I use direct runner injection, not single source, open nozzle in front of tb injection.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #19
xlr8nflorida

Snow kit on a Mudstain

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ing/index.html

You tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFkvtlCNFQQ

Snow system looks pretty cool and you could use your windshield washer bottle.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2010   #20
xlr8nflorida

Per Marc H.

LT5's with the OE compression ratio of 11:1 are normally not detonation limited in terms of spark advance. That is, typically as spark advance is added the power drops off before the engine goes into detonation. A methanol injector will not make a difference, except.

If you want to run the car hard when the ambient temperature is over 90 degrees detonation can be a factor and methanol will help.