ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-26-2023   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: Royal Purple oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegianmopar View Post
Marc Haibeck does not recommend the Mobile M1 due to poor anti drainback (ref article on website). Could the lack of mess be due to the filter being almost drained out?

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

I guess it depends .......I am not so sure Marc made a filter recommendation on that bases of retained oil weight compared to dry filter weight + retained oil weight other than stating the facts of that one type of test

In 2005 Marc suggests "The Mobil 1, M1-207 is also a good choice. The anti drain back valve seals normally."

Marc Haibeck suggests in 2005

But hold on a bit......The LT5 is one of the few engines that has an upside down oil filter and on a "normal" engine the filter will not drain back at all

Letting the LT5 sit over night and then removing the oil filter with no spilled oil is a very, very nice feature on the LT5.

Thinking about it.....how much oil is drained back in other parts of the engine after sitting??

......and further thinking about it......I often leave the LT5 sit for a few days between drives or even months (The retained oil weight as a percentage of the dry filter weight + retained oil weight were based on an 8 hour drain period)

Thinking a bit more about it......when you put on a new oil filter it is usually empty....now what do you do

You fire it right up or after sitting for a few days (or months) what do you do.......You fire it right up

A question for M1-207?? (Data 2005)
The dry filter weight new is 17 0z
Weight filter and oil after 8 hours sitting is 21 oz
Retained oil is 4 oz
I have to ask how many oz of oil does the M1-207 hold??

If you divide the retained oil weight by the total weight of the oil the filter holds.....then you have percent of retained oil.....I am thinking

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-27-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023   #12
Norwegianmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I guess it depends .......I am not so sure Marc made a filter recommendation on that bases of retained oil weight compared to dry filter weight + retained oil weight other than stating the facts of that one type of test

In 2005 Marc suggests "The Mobil 1, M1-207 is also a good choice. The anti drain back valve seals normally."

But hold on a bit......The LT5 is one of the few engines that has an upside down oil filter and on a "normal" engine the filter will not drain back at all

Letting the LT5 sit over night and then removing the oil filter with no spilled oil is a very, very nice feature on the LT5.

Thinking about it.....how much oil is drained back in other parts of the engine after sitting??

......and further thinking about it......I often leave the LT5 sit for a few days between drives or even months (The retained oil weight as a percentage of the dry filter weight + retained oil weight were based on an 8 hour drain period) [emoji106]

Thinking a bit more about it......when you put on a new oil filter it is usually empty....now what do you do [emoji106]

You fire it right up or after sitting for a few days (or months) what do you do.......You fire it right up

Retained oil is 4 oz

If you divide the retained oil weight by the total weight of the oil the filter holds.....then you have percent of retained oil.....I am thinking
Now that's what I call a real summary of thoughts and facts [emoji16]

Agree on the fact these cars sits for periods between starts and all the oil sinks to the bottom of the engine anyhow.

But, what would then be the reasoning behind the importance of good anti drainback as we all read everywhere? If the cars are only driven every now and then the filter will be empty every time.

Using quality filtration makes sense anyhow but anti drainback gets all the attention.

Oil wise most agree on the zinc content it seems.

Maybe using one of those lifetime oil filters (System1 etc) with cartridges where one can see if particles occur would be just as good if not better..?

Brainstorming sure is interesting [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #112 Admiral Blue/Black
Dana 4:10
Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

1991 ZR-1 #400 White/Red (SOLD)
Dana 4:10
Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:

......and further thinking about it......I often leave the LT5 sit for a few days between drives or even months (The retained oil weight as a percentage of the dry filter weight + retained oil weight were based on an 8 hour drain period)

Thinking a bit more about it......when you put on a new oil filter it is usually empty....now what do you do

Retained oil is 4 oz

Great minds think alike Cliff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1662.jpeg (162.0 KB, 35 views)
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Great minds think alike Cliff!
And we both drive 1995 ZR-1s with double Dunn Heads

Post 230 - 1995 (#0186) LT5 SPECIFIC TOP END REBUILD TRICKS
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
And we both drive 1995 ZR-1s with double Dunn Heads

Post 230 - 1995 (#0186) LT5 SPECIFIC TOP END REBUILD TRICKS
That is true about our cars my friend! 👍🏼🤙🏼 But I know your mind is 10 times greater than mine.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote