ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-03-2014   #11
5ABI VT

Default Re: Pulling the plenum / IH Some pics !!

Hmm removed the fuel lines at the rail. Removed the 4 bolts that hold down the rail. Do the injectors need to be unclipped from the rails or should the rails and injectors pull out of the plenum ?
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #12
5ABI VT

Well theres 1 crack I found. Possible leak my secondary pump cycled every 5-7 seconds key on.

Is this hard line part of the secondary system? Its routed with the passenger side fuel injector harness
Old 08-03-2014   #13
batchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Hmm removed the fuel lines at the rail. Removed the 4 bolts that hold down the rail. Do the injectors need to be unclipped from the rails or should the rails and injectors pull out of the plenum ?
Looks like I'm a 1/2 day ahead of you!

I hoped to pull them all out together but 8 is too much. The electrical plugs push & hold base of U clip toward the center of the engine and wiggle plug up. For the fuel connection push legs of U clip toward the center of the engine and remove. The rail will still be hard to pull up, for me some injectors "came with" and some stayed behind.

Have fun with the IH o-rings, I think that's been the most time consuming part for me so far.

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #14
5ABI VT

I guess I spoke too soon last night I searched on this forum and found that it just needed a bit of help. I covered a pRy bar with some chassis tape etc and they all slid out nicely.

I had a ton of oil in the round area. Really really happy to be eliminating the secondaries. There's deposits on the secondary valves and I can't wait to get this motor up to temp to clean them up

Question though, what can I use to clean the secondary valves in the heads ? Obviously getting anything down there past the valves is a concern.

Secondary injectors are covered. O rings will be replaced a few are cracked and many are hard. Will replace uppers and lowers.

Old 08-03-2014   #15
5ABI VT

I'll take better pics, but should there be any sign of machining/porting or grinding in the runner behind the valve ? Valve guides are untouched and the size difference is obvious without measuring so they haven't been opened up but I believe I see signs of a little work behind the valves ?
Old 08-03-2014   #16
Schrade

Good snappics.

I tried to work loose the rails with the INJ's attached, but it's harder that way. INJ's on the end popped out of the rail when I pulled them photo here, and here....

I don't think you'll damage anything if you do, just work SLOWLY.

Shooting lots of pics and write-up stuff is good for sequencing your work. Putting bolts back in holes with the part out of the way is good too. Takes more time, but you won't loose stuff. Maybe clean EVERY part as you pull it too. Dirty parts stack up pretty quick; too easy to blow 'em off, and do a hasty clean-up at re-assembly. Sometimes you can get away with it. But you never know what the problem is if you took shortcuts.

Your stuff looks pretty clean tho'...

ed.:
and on those IH O-rings - those ESPECIALLY are tough gettin' in, like batch said, and they'll go in twisted too. Maybe after you get them in, with plenty of oil, try to spin them inside the IH, to make sure they're seated without a twist. Seatin' the rail on top of the INJ's is hard enough. I got them in right the first time, but when I had to do it again, I sheared off a piece on #8 ring, because fuel had rinse off the oil from the ring. Dry O's grab better than GSD3's!!!
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 08-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #17
5ABI VT

I haven't taken a closer look at where the o rings seat.. Is there a groove in the injector housing where they seat or do they seat on the injector and are just slid into the IHs? I'm assuming there's one seating it to the rail and one to the IH per injector ? Maybe I'm just confusing myself uh reading too many threads !

Definitely plan to clean all the bolts and pieces on re-assembly. Everything Is relatively clean except in the valley. The top end was off not too long ago for the pc refinish that's most likely why the cleanliness . I have msd coils I picked up as spare but I'm debating on leaving well enough alone for now. Even having thoughts of new injectors.. The 'while you're in there' bug can get expensive real fast !

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 08-03-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2014   #18
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I haven't taken a closer look at where the o rings seat.. Is there a groove in the injector housing where they seat or do they seat on the injector and are just slid into the IHs? I'm assuming there's one seating it to the rail and one to the IH per injector ? Maybe I'm just confusing myself uh reading too many threads !

Definitely plan to clean all the bolts and pieces on re-assembly. Everything Is relatively clean except in the valley. The top end was off not too long ago for the pc refinish that's most likely why the cleanliness . I have msd coils I picked up as spare but I'm debating on leaving well enough alone for now. Even having thoughts of new injectors.. The 'while you're in there' bug can get expensive real fast !
I'm pretty sure that there's a groove in the IH INJ port for the primaries (secondaries???), which is what holds the O in place when you yank the rail, and the INJ's come out behind it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Got gaskets in from Jerry - thanks!

Setting the primary [?] O's...

A drop of Trans-X into the groove...

After setting the O's, I wanted to set the INJ's, and rock them in the ports to make sure they weren't twisted / bound in the grooves.

Put some oil in the ports (can't wrench on a motor without busting knuckles ( or almost slicing off some fingertips OUCH ) ):

and on the INJ shafts

Then I tried to sink the rail into the IH. WASN'T happenin' the way I like (with LT1)...

Gonna' have to sink the INJ's into the IH individually, and then drop the rails ONTO the INJ's...........................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 08-03-2014   #19
5ABI VT

How about assembling the rails on the injector housings off the motor and placing it all on as one unit? Or possibly disconnecting the crossover pipe (probably need another o ring ? - boy this never ends lol). Just thinking aloud.

If I may ask for a picture request.... Does anyone have any photos of the runner down the primaries in the head? Basically the angle looking at the back of the valve ?
Old 08-03-2014   #20
Schrade

I got one shot while serving eviction notice on a moth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
So I go out to assess work and cover the ports, and there's a moth on the secondary valve. I go for his wing, and he decides it's time to bounce the joint....

right into the open primary, with the valve on the intake.

Mr moth; meet Mr. Shop-Vac

and now he's gone into the cylinder All he needs now is butter, cause he's toast. At least it wasn't a clam...
There's probably a few other shots in the TE thread (link below); have at it...