ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-07-2017   #171
gbrtng

Default Re: ZR-1 Corvette Road Trip to the Southwest and San Diego

Did Jerry tell you about the goofy "filling station" on RT66 that you will be passing?
You just have to stop ... there are more varieties of soda pops ... beyond your imagination. It will be on your right ...

TGF
Old 06-07-2017   #172
QB93Z

Day 30 - We drove from Tulsa, OK to Greenville, Illinois, (east of St Louis). From Tulsa, we stayed on I-44 and crossed into Missouri:

Lyndi spotted a sign for The Precious Moments Chapel so we had to take a slight detour to visit the home of the se collectible figurines. I found a relevant example:

In Springfield, MO, we successfully navigated to the World's Largest Fork:

to be continued....
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #173
QB93Z

For Phil, in Springfield we saw the Grizzly Tools store. Unfortunately we didn't have time or storage space to stop and shop.

We visited the Springfield Art Museum:

For a small art museum, the SAM has a nice collection and we enjoyed the two current exhibits. The American Impressionists collection was interesting. We found the American Watercolor Exhibit wonderful. The still life is a watercolor!

As we passed through Sr Louis, Lyndi got a picture of the Arch:

Jim
Old 06-08-2017   #174
QB93Z

Day 31 - We drove from Greenville, IL to Jackson, OH. We crossed, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

We stopped in Terre Haute, IN to visit the Swope Art Museum. The interesting feature of the Swope is that it is a museum of American Art. One of the current exhibit focuses on American Impressionism, our favorite style of art. The Swope is in a vintage building that has wonderful Art Deco design features:

The collection includes works by Thomas Benton, one of Lyndi's favorite artists. This image is Threshing Wheat:

I like this oil painting by Oliver Grover, an Illinois artist painting in the Victorian Romantic style. It is titled Harem Girl:

We enjoyed Terre Haute. The streets were easy to navigate and the people were friendly. We were very impressed by the Vigo County Office Building:

As we were driving around, Lyndi wanted a photo of the ZR-1 in front of Indiana State University. She had me make a right turn and as she was composing the shot I discovered I was facing the wrong way on a one- way street:

to be continued.....
Old 06-08-2017   #175
QB93Z

On the streets of Terre Haute we came upon a horse drawn wagon that was part of a down town festival:

After I passed the wagon, Lyndi got a picture of the wagon trying to keep up with me:

Back in Las Cruzes, New Mexico we saw the Big Chile Inn and Dom wanted to know if we were in South America. Well, now I am not sure:

In Ohio, we drove through some very productive looking farm land. Since we live in a farming community in Carroll County, Maryland, Lyndi enjoyed taking farm pictures:

Jim
Old 06-09-2017   #176
Jagdpanzer

Great photos Jim.
Back in the day on the farm I would have got my a$$ kicked if I planted rows as crooked as those four in the middle.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #177
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Great photos Jim.
Back in the day on the farm I would have got my a$$ kicked if I planted rows as crooked as those four in the middle.
The Amish farmer's GPS wasn't working that day ...

Old 06-09-2017   #178
QB93Z

Day 32 - We drove from Jackson, Ohio to Cumberland, Maryland. Cumberland is just a few hours from home but we wanted to stop and have dinner with one of my daughters.

First we drove west to The Serpent Mound in Adams County, Ohio:

The Serpent Mound is the largest effigy mound in the world. The mound was built by Native Americans about 1000 years ago, although the dating is not considered exact. The piled earthwork construction is about 1300 feet in length if it was straightened out and is a snake form with an oval/egg at its mouth. The head of the serpent is aligned with the position of the setting sun at the summer solstice.

We enjoyed visiting the Serpent Mound. It provokes thought and we will probably visit more mound sites throughout the central US.

Also in Adams County, OH, there are some Amish farmers. The Amish do not use motorized vehicles and driver caution is required to avoid their horse drawn buggies;

I guess the conventional farmers demanded a sign also:

Jim
Old 06-10-2017   #179
QB93Z

Day 33 - Home again! We arrived in Westminster this morning. Everything is fine and the cats were glad to see us.

The 2017 Road Trip to the Southwest was a great success. We visited 16 states and 16 National Parks and National Monuments in 33 days. We drove 8,837 miles. The Purple Z ran perfectly with no problems.

While we were on the road, I made reservations at two of the Lodges in Glacier National Park for next summer. I will get busy planning the 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to the Northwest and Canada.

See you on the road......

Jim
Old 06-10-2017   #180
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Congratz on a safe return and a great trip! Thanks for taking us along, Jim and Lyndi!

As always, I (we) enjoy your trips very much - and look forward to the next, and for inspiring some us to "See the USA, in our Chevrolet!"

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote