ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-12-2020   #141
jss06c6

Default Re: ECM And Ignition Module Availability/ replacement

Having personally installed a 24X Torqhead system on a Procharged 1996 LT-1 and having had discussions about 3 months ago with Paul at Torqhead, he indicated that he had looked at the LT-5 possibility. It wasn't a big leap, but obviously market demand was not as large as the LT-1 LT-4 market is. Pure economics..

Having full control of the Procharged LT-1 running a 4L60e using HP Tuners highlights how limited the OBDI architecture is. I would never have been able to manage this build trying to use software like LT-1 edit. I enjoy tuning the LT-5 with TunerPro RT, but a full OBD2 setup with coil on plug for the LT-5 would be a real treat..20200403_172746.jpg20200403_172730.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020   #142
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Couple things to clarify. DIYAutotune isn't Megasquirt. They are an authorized manufacturer/distributor. I find it hard to believe that doing 16 injectors with our DIS is easier than simply adding a crank sensor to an LT1...

What solution has =Jeff= implemented?
I don’t believe I said that. What I said is that there would be no need to add a crank sensor since we already have one while the LT1 does not. That reduces things from a hardware cost standpoint. Plus the LT5 has a cam signal which TH would also use.
Having said that the software for a 411 works fine for an LT1/LT4, but would require additional programming for routines managing turning secondaries on and off (not necessarily difficult since it just provides a ground for the secondary relays) but the Port Throttle Open VE and SA tables would need to be added.
TH would require either repinning or replacing the LT5 engine harness with connectors that are the same as the LT1/4 connectors. I’ve repinned harnesses before. A bit tedious but I’d do it for a solution like this. And then there’s the task of “translating” the LT5 calibration into the LSx OBD2 parameters.
An initial cal could be created for stock, but with modified motors your on ur own. And as far as I know TH comms w the CCM is only supported for 94-96 LT1/4, not earlier L98 of which the LT5 is a derivative.

And yes I know DIY is a distributor of MegaSquirt.

Steve,

Would love to see what CnP would do for LT5 particularly modified ones.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020   #143
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I don’t believe I said that. What I said is that there would be no need to add a crank sensor since we already have one while the LT1 does not. That reduces things from a hardware cost standpoint. Plus the LT5 has a cam signal which TH would also use.
Having said that the software for a 411 works fine for an LT1/LT4, but would require additional programming for routines managing turning secondaries on and off (not necessarily difficult since it just provides a ground for the secondary relays) but the Port Throttle Open VE and SA tables would need to be added.
TH would require either repinning or replacing the LT5 engine harness with connectors that are the same as the LT1/4 connectors. I’ve repinned harnesses before. A bit tedious but I’d do it for a solution like this. And then there’s the task of “translating” the LT5 calibration into the LSx OBD2 parameters.
An initial cal could be created for stock, but with modified motors your on ur own. And as far as I know TH comms w the CCM is only supported for 94-96 LT1/4, not earlier L98 of which the LT5 is a derivative.

And yes I know DIY is a distributor of MegaSquirt.

Steve,

Would love to see what CnP would do for LT5 particularly modified ones.
Adding a crank sensor to an engine isn't a big deal. It's more difficult on the lt1/4 due to the opti-spark and front cover design.

That being said, I paid 1700 for the DIYautotune unit when they did a run of them. That's only 400-500 dollars more than the torqhead system.

Keep in mind, the DIYautotune system supports a plethora of options the torqhead w/Gen III ECU certainly doesn't. Those things include nitrous control, boost referencing, launch control/two step, reprogramming of power key to select alternate maps, etc. On top of that, the DIYautotune ECU plugs right into the stock harness.

If you're looking for cost savings, you could do all the work DIYautotune does on your time and save a load of money. That would be the cheapest/easiest option.

If you're looking for stock driveability then the stock ECU is the way to go. There are so few stock ECU failures that there will likely always be a supply of stock ECUs from the spares that were made and wrecked cars.

And just to add, while someone mentioned previously that torqhead had the ccm datastream stuff figured out for the L98, none of their current LT1/4 options support any of that. From their manual:

"Note this upgrade is for Off-Road use only. It is important to understand some of the systems on the LT engine will be incompatible. These systems are the EVAP, Air Pump, and EGR. If you install these components on a corvette (Y-Body) you will also loose functionality with the onboard CCM and some dash functions as well as other serial communication issues.
TORQHEAD is continuously improving their products to improve compatibility of systems, so please keep an eye out for updates!!"
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020   #144
XfireZ51

No question that once u do power adders like NoX or FI to the LT5, the stock ECM has to be “crutched” at best to use them and something like the MS unit is preferable. But we do have lots of example of high power NA builds where the stock ECM works just fine.
Hadn’t heard that TH has the L98 CCM stuff worked out. Sounds like Paul may be using the EVAP, EGR and Air Pump as a backdoor for the CCM stuff.
Old 04-13-2020   #145
Pete

How much is Megasquirt ECU?
If one don't care about CCM functions.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020   #146
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
How much is Megasquirt ECU?
If one don't care about CCM functions.

Pete
I paid 1700, but I got in when they were supposedly building a few of them. I know they told me 2400-2500 regular price. That may vary based on how busy they are.
Old 04-16-2020   #147
Pete

Quote:
I paid 1700, but I got in when they were supposedly building a few of them. I know they told me 2400-2500 regular price. That may vary based on how busy they are.

What do stock OE ECM's cost?

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020   #148
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
What do stock OE ECM's cost?

Pete
I'd say the going price is 1500 (average).

Last edited by spork2367; 04-16-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2020   #149
jss06c6

Quote:
Adding a crank sensor to an engine isn't a big deal. It's more difficult on the lt1/4 due to the opti-spark and front cover design.

That being said, I paid 1700 for the DIYautotune unit when they did a run of them. That's only 400-500 dollars more than the torqhead system.

Keep in mind, the DIYautotune system supports a plethora of options the torqhead w/Gen III ECU certainly doesn't. Those things include nitrous control, boost referencing, launch control/two step, reprogramming of power key to select alternate maps, etc. On top of that, the DIYautotune ECU plugs right into the stock harness.

If you're looking for cost savings, you could do all the work DIYautotune does on your time and save a load of money. That would be the cheapest/easiest option.

If you're looking for stock driveability then the stock ECU is the way to go. There are so few stock ECU failures that there will likely always be a supply of stock ECUs from the spares that were made and wrecked cars.

And just to add, while someone mentioned previously that torqhead had the ccm datastream stuff figured out for the L98, none of their current LT1/4 options support any of that. From their manual:

"Note this upgrade is for Off-Road use only. It is important to understand some of the systems on the LT engine will be incompatible. These systems are the EVAP, Air Pump, and EGR. If you install these components on a corvette (Y-Body) you will also loose functionality with the onboard CCM and some dash functions as well as other serial communication issues.
TORQHEAD is continuously improving their products to improve compatibility of systems, so please keep an eye out for updates!!"
Sorry, you're wrong. Handles the CCM datastream on the LT-1/4 just fine.

jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020   #150
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Sorry, you're wrong. Handles the CCM datastream on the LT-1/4 just fine.

Actually he started out w the LT1/4 first.