ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-09-2018   #91
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

WOW!

Thank you two for sharing some splendid scenes from out thar! So much to see in this great land of ours!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018   #92
QB93Z

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi's 2018 ZR-1 Road Trip to Glacier NP, Western Canada and the Rocky M

Day 21 - We drove from Twin Falls to Park City, Utah, southeast of Salt Lake City.

From Twin Falls we drove southeast on I-84. The terrain was very arid and hilly. In many areas there was agriculture using irrigation. Farmers is this area have raised storage of baled hay to a new level:

In this dry region we could always tell where the irrigation trenches were because that is where the trees are:

Here is a sight that raised the pucker factor:

The truck coming at me is actually a new truck being pulled backwards by another new truck.

Arrival in Utah, the thirteenth state/province of our trip:

We headed south and then turned west to visit Promontory Point where two railroads met to complete the Trans-continental Railroad.

On the way there we passed a large complex of corporate compounds working on rockets. We stopped at a Rocket Garden built by Northup Grumman:

One of the rockets on display was the Trident C4 Submarine Launched ICBM that was very special to me. I carried 16 of these missiles on two submarines that I served on. Each missile carried 8 independently targetable nuclear warheads. We were part of the force that won the Cold War.

The device extending from the top of the missile is an aero-spike. Most rockets have a pointed nose but because the 1960's era submarine missile tubes were not tall enough, the aero-spike was designed to deploy after launch and create the aerodynamic shape needed to make a long-range missile.

We were surprised at the size or the Space Shuttle rocket components:

After visiting the transportation devices of the future, we headed west to see the location of one of the greatest American accomplishments of the 19th Century:

to be continued...…
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018   #93
QB93Z

We arrived at the Golden Spike National Historical Site:

We enjoyed posing on the rails at the site of the Golden Spike:

The two locomotives on display are reproductions of the ones that actually met at the site in 1869. Lyndi is standing in front of the Jupiter that belonged to the Central Pacific Railroad:

In the parking lot we found a 1929 Model A Ford. The couple driving the A are from Oklahoma and have been on the road for 10 days. The Model A had been upgraded with a 12 vdc electrical system, a modern ignition system, an oil filter, air conditioning, and an over-drive transmission.

We headed for Ogden on UT-83 through the Bear River Valley and passed by areas of salt marsh that form the northern end of the Great alt Lake:

North of Ogden there is a large Walmart distribution center and a lot of trucks:

to be continued...…..
Old 07-10-2018   #94
QB93Z

We continued south and got on I-15 south. We saw this nice Corvette on a trailer:

Our next stop was Ogden, Utah, and Union Station. The original Union Station was built in the 1860's to serve as the junction between the Central Pacific Rail Road and the Union Pacific Rail Road. The current station was built in 1924. It was a common practice to name stations that serve as a junction between two railroads "Union Station":

Union Station no longer servers rail traffic. It has been beautifully restored and houses 4 museums. Outside there is a nice display of locomotives and rolling stock:

A tank car caught my attention. It was built in 1942 and served the US Army:

Ogden is a nice city. I am sure we will visit here again. There are a number of wonderfully painted horse statues on the sidewalks. My favorite was this one:

We got back on I-15 and passed through Salt Lake City. The day had gotten hotter and we saw 105 degrees on the thermometer:

The traffic was heavy and we took the HOV-2 lane. The bonus was we avoided the 25 cent toll:

We reached or destination, the Westgate Park City Resort:

We will be staying here at the resort for 6 days. If the weather gets cooler we will be doing some sightseeing in the Salt Lake City area. If not, we will be at the pool drinking beer.

Jim
Old 07-11-2018   #95
Ccmano

Jim,

What day do you leave SLC? I’ll be there the night of the 17th with the Z on the trailer. Then traveling to Canon City the 18th. Would be great to hook up.
Hans
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #96
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Jim,

What day do you leave SLC? I’ll be there the night of the 17th with the Z on the trailer. Then traveling to Canon City the 18th. Would be great to hook up.
Hans

Hi Hans, We will be leaving SLC on Sunday and driving to Red Canyon, UT, then Rock Springs, WY, then Laramie, WY, then Canon City on Wednesday. I doubt that you will be going that far north.

Jim
Old 07-12-2018   #97
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Hi Hans, We will be leaving SLC on Sunday and driving to Red Canyon, UT, then Rock Springs, WY, then Laramie, WY, then Canon City on Wednesday. I doubt that you will be going that far north.

Jim
Close, we spend the night in SLC Tuesday. Wednesday we continue on the 80 through Laramie and down the 25 to Canon City. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Canon City.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #98
QB93Z

Day 23 - From Park City we drove to Salt Lake City for some sightseeing. We visited the Union Pacific Railroad Depot in downtown SLC. The depot was first built in 1865 to encourage the Union Pacific railroad to run their track on a route near Ogden (north of SLC). It no longer is used as a train station but was beautifully restored for the 2002 SLC Olympics. There is a nice mall area behind it called the Olympics Legacy Plaza:

The Union Pacific station faces South Temple Street which is a route of the Utah Transit Authority. The electric trains that run down town are modern and appear to be well used. Even the pigeons seem to like the stations:

But on closer look we realized the pigeons are bronze:

We walked up South Temple Street to see the Mormon Temple and Temple Square:

We went to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. The top floor of the building is open to the public and provides a nice view point for the city:

Where's Waldo. The first thing I spotted was the Purple ZR-1 in a parking lot five blocks away:

And we watched the street cars:

In addition to that, we got a nice view of the Temple and the Tabernacle:

Jim

Last edited by QB93Z; 07-12-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2018   #99
tf95ZR1

Hey Jim,

Thousands of miles on the Z and it's always
SPOTLESS in your pictures. Does a detailer
follow you everywhere? Photoshop? :-)
I LOVE it when you take a trip.
Be safe and continue to have fun.

Ted
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018   #100
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
Hey Jim,

Thousands of miles on the Z and it's always
SPOTLESS in your pictures. Does a detailer
follow you everywhere? Photoshop? :-)
I LOVE it when you take a trip.
Be safe and continue to have fun.

Ted

If I said that I washed the car each day nobody in WAZOO would believe me. The secret is long focal length and positioning to avoid a close up of the front bumper. Thank you for your nice comments

Jim