ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
DMZR-1

Default Re: ZR1 Detectives

Hey @mlipmd, thanks for the info. I actually reported them to the Federal Trade Commission, but I didn't think to go to the FBI. I will do that. The web site was convincing at first blush. I'm in the technology business, so I traced the domain registration for the selling site and the supposed shipping company back to the same registrant in Finland, of all places. The sites were well done, without the usual painfully obvious mistakes. The immediate red flag was that the Lingenfelter ZR-1 that was interesting was about 50% of market value. I made a query at which point I was directed to the bogus shipping company. Then I looked at other ads from other sellers on the site and all of them were fantastic cars at improbable prices. All of the sellers were surely fictitious and all of the ads were copied/pasted off legit auction sites that had closed their auctions.

Beware out there! I ended up buying my fabulous ZR-1 from a legit dealer in California and had it shipped to GA with a real transport company.
DMZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
mlipmd

Scammers wouldn't exist without gullible buyers on the other end. And like they always say, "if it sounds too good to be true..."
If you do contact the FBI, they would be interested in the domain info you found, so save it.
Glad you didn't fall for that scam, and, plus, you found another reputable car. Welcome to the club.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #33
arf3rn

Ok. I shopped close by and found my car. Going this week and looking at it and hopefully driving it home. It is a Houston car with 66k miles and 3 owners. It has lived in Houston all its life. Thanks for the input regarding buying and shipping from far away. I was seriously considering it until I read the input on this site.
arf3rn is offline   Reply With Quote